05 GTO vs. STI
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 05 GTO vs. STI within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I was following an 05 GTO (duel hood scoop) in my stock STI...he was infront of my on an open ...

05 GTO vs. STI

I was following an 05 GTO (duel hood scoop) in my stock STI...he was infront of my on an open highway by 5 car lengths. We went from 80 to around 140 and I stayed with him all the way...he may have pulled an extremely small amout. Maybe half a car length. I really didn't think my car could stay with him at those speeds. We did this 2 times with the same result. When I drove around him at lower speeds he gave me a thumbs up. Really cool guy. Then he followed me for a mile and the road opened up again...I punched it and got a head start on him. He stayed the same distance behind me and didn't pull any. I went to around 120 and let off. he went by me and waved again. He also had 2 people in the car with him. I was really excited that I stayed with him since they have like a 107 trap speed in the 1/4.

Also, about 5 months ago I test drove an 05 GTO. Seemed pretty fast but I only took it up to about 80 and the STI felt quite a bit faster....thats why I chose the STI over the GTO.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by artist71
    I was following an 05 GTO (duel hood scoop) in my stock STI...he was infront of my on an open highway by 5 car lengths. We went from 80 to around 140 and I stayed with him all the way...he may have pulled an extremely small amout. Maybe half a car length. I really didn't think my car could stay with him at those speeds. We did this 2 times with the same result. When I drove around him at lower speeds he gave me a thumbs up. Really cool guy. Then he followed me for a mile and the road opened up again...I punched it and got a head start on him. He stayed the same distance behind me and didn't pull any. I went to around 120 and let off. he went by me and waved again. He also had 2 people in the car with him. I was really excited that I stayed with him since they have like a 107 trap speed in the 1/4.

Also, about 5 months ago I test drove an 05 GTO. Seemed pretty fast but I only took it up to about 80 and the STI felt quite a bit faster....thats why I chose the STI over the GTO.
    Nice runs.

Yeah, it is surprising that LS2 GTO didn't pull any at higher speed, wondering if having a passenger (or two, not sure how many peeps were in the GTO) might have slowed him down a bit, not sure.

I have benn thinking about it and I wonder if maybe he had a full tank of gas plus the having 2 more people in the car could have been what was slowing him down.

On a side note I test drove a 2006 Corvette last weekend. OMG. That thing was silly fast. As soon as I can afford one I am getting one. I love my STI but the vette was next level.

I Support ClubWRX
    I ran an 04 GTO when I had just a TBE. I could pull on him below 100, he could pull on me above 100. I'd say he was probably sittting on some serious weight. Their trap speeds are a good indication of what they should do in a high speed run.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

Good racing and sounds like you guys had fun. The two extra passengers (in the GTO) would have a decent effect on the race. If you have ever watched racing video's where the extra person filming switches cars, you would be suprised by how much of a difference it makes.
    Just one extra person (150 lbs or so) in a car can equal a couple car lengths or so in a decent race (when two cars normally run even).
    Also, most the 04 GTO's in my area have the 05 hood and 05 rear end conversions done to them. It's a very popular mod for the 04s. Did you see the 6.0 badge on the rear. That's pretty much watch you need to look for.

But either way, it was a good race and you should feel good to have hung with him so well.
    Last edited by SGOSWRX; 12-12-2005 at 03:41 PM.

Yeah it had the 6.0 an the back. Could it have made if differance if it had been an auto. I don't know if it was but maybe that could have been a reason.

Nice runs. Like they said before, his extra passengers probably had a bit of an effect on his run, but still very nice runs. I've been in a couple cars when they've been tested with a G-Tech meter. We tried it with 3 people in the car, 2 people, and then my friend solo in his car. Each time we shed a person, he gained about 1 second 0-60. Weight really does have an effect..
    NEWENGLANDF4
    1972 Corvette - LS6 / T56 powered

Nice Nice. Now doesn't that make you want to unleash your stock STi's true potential?
    05 White WRX
    Blobeye Syndicate #7

Good runs, Him having 2 passangers really slowed him down, he would of walked away if he was by himself. I've raced my buddys 05 GTO with a passanger and without and it made a noticeable difference. With a passanger we were dead even from about 5 mph to around 80 without the passanger he would slowy walk away from me.
    <<My car
    COBB Stage II --- 8.52 @ 81mph in the 1/8 mile
    Mods

Good run, those gti's sure are sweet.

nice! my buddy has an 04 gto, and they are pretty sweet too. He's gonna get the rear end convo w/scoops soon too. It's very popular. 1 thing is kinda funny that i noticed though. When it's an SRT-4 bragging about a kill, you guys all flame him like crazy from going 130 on a public road. Then an sti driver goes 140 on the road, and you guys all think it's great. wtf? I personally think it's great. If there is no traffic on an empty highway and you know what you're doing, go as fast as you want. Actually that friend with the gto plans on trying to top out his car (160) on this sick long straightaway once the weather gets better.

Quote Originally Posted by stick-shift
    nice! my buddy has an 04 gto, and they are pretty sweet too. He's gonna get the rear end convo w/scoops soon too. It's very popular. 1 thing is kinda funny that i noticed though. When it's an SRT-4 bragging about a kill, you guys all flame him like crazy from going 130 on a public road. Then an sti driver goes 140 on the road, and you guys all think it's great. wtf? I personally think it's great. If there is no traffic on an empty highway and you know what you're doing, go as fast as you want. Actually that friend with the gto plans on trying to top out his car (160) on this sick long straightaway once the weather gets better.

Yes, its all about the situation. To me 140mph isn't all that fast. If the road is straight, long, and clear (divided highway) getting up to 140mph really isn't a big deal. Maybe if I was driving a Civic (and it took miles to get up to that speed) it would be a big deal, but in my GTO 140mph is extremely smooth and stable. In a fast car is really doesn't take very long to get up to those speeds. Just think, the new Z06 Vette can get up to 120mph in a 1/4 mile from a dead stop.

But I'm sure most of us would agree that driving high speeds in areas with traffic, side streets, turns, pedestrians, etc is extremely dangerous and foolish.

My car traps 118 and by the time I start slowing down on the strip, I'm just about doing 140 - 145 mph. I usually try keep my foot on the gas paddle until last minute before I really have to slow down.

Quote Originally Posted by 03EBZ06
    My car traps 118 and by the time I start slowing down on the strip, I'm just about doing 140 - 145 mph. I usually try keep my foot on the gas paddle until last minute before I really have to slow down.
    You trap at 118 and you do 145 before you slow down? That makes no sense, it would probably take you another 10 or so seconds to get up to 145. I don't understand that at all.
    2005 WRX (Short throw shifter, lightweight pulley,STI Splitters,Tein H-Tech springs,Up/Down Pipe, ERZ Catback, Cobb Stage 2, ASA JH8 with Yokohama ES 100s) 13.680@100.46mph

Quote Originally Posted by elohdaeh78
    You trap at 118 and you do 145 before you slow down? That makes no sense, it would probably take you another 10 or so seconds to get up to 145. I don't understand that at all.
    Agreed. That makes no sense. If you trap at 118 and maybe hit 125 before hitting the brakes makes sense. Accelerating until 140+mph is just asking to end up flipping your in the sand trap at the end.

I've seen that happen more times than I'd care to remember, and it isn't pretty...

-Chike

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.