WRX Vs. Mazda Protege

This is a discussion on WRX Vs. Mazda Protege within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey guys so i was driving out of a parking lot when this guy hears my car go, jumps in ...

WRX Vs. Mazda Protege

Hey guys so i was driving out of a parking lot when this guy hears my car go, jumps in his turboed protege and decided to come harass me.
    I was in the none racing mood and i had a full car and so did he, he would keep giving it and let off just to get me to go. so finally my friends convinced me to go from 2nd gear roll. Ive never seen a car get beat so bad, felt like i was racing a civic. Didnt no these things where so slow even with a turbo.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

haha, good run

I except alot more out of cars when they put aftermarket turbos on them, my car was pretty much stock at time except with up pipe and cat back on it.

was it a regular protege, or a mazdaspeed/

Quote Originally Posted by boostedimpreza
    was it a regular protege, or a mazdaspeed/
    And what body style? Some of the old ones has 1.5 and 1.6L motors. Newer ones had 1.8 and 2.0L.

@ least i like the looks of MP3 ones.
    I think they're pretty cool looking. =)
    03' C i

I Support ClubWRX
    Was it aftermarket turbo'ed or was it a mazdaspeed protege that comes turbo stock? Either way, The engines in those cars aren't particularly stout and can't take much boost without needing major engine work.
    I still miss my MP3 sometimes until I find a straight and step on the right pedal
    '03 WRX
    '01 2.5RS
    MODS | PICS | Dyno
    "Stuff sold by the gram is always going to be more exciting than stuff sold by the pound." - Jeremy Clarkson

it was the hatch back one and it was aftermarket turbo, fairly new to

My wife has a base model 03 protege with teh 2.0

FUN car. Slow, but peppy for a grocery getter with an automatic. Having a 2.0 in it REALLY helps.

The handling, is unreal for what that car is. It handles, IMHO, better than a stock WRX.
    Throttle lift oversteer
    Easily controlled understeer after an alignment and some decent tires
    VERY tossable, almost impossible to lose control of even when getting just plain silly tossing it sideways into an off ramp at 70
    And 27mpg for the win.
    I want my wife to buy a new car so I can have it as my daily driver instead of always driving the STI (dont get me wrong, I LOVE the STI, but this gas milage is killer)

I had a guy trying to impress his girl the other day in his protege 5 with a nice fart can on it. I had one (minus the exhaust) and really liked it but he was trying to race my stage 1 LGT. He tried twice, but it was pretty ugly both times.
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Hey, being the forum car ADD guy is better than being the forum OG.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Well nobody cares what you think, Seth

I personally had my a*$ handed to me at a local autocross ('05 wrx stock with toyo proxies) by one of those little mazdaspeed protoges stock with toyo RA1s... impressive, i definately had his power beat, but in the right hands those little orange (was that the only color they were made in??) are great handlers and peppy to boot.

Quote Originally Posted by willymopit
    I personally had my a*$ handed to me at a local autocross ('05 wrx stock with toyo proxies) by one of those little mazdaspeed protoges stock with toyo RA1s... impressive, i definately had his power beat, but in the right hands those little orange (was that the only color they were made in??) are great handlers and peppy to boot.
    That's why I bought it...autocrossing in DS. That's the only time we get our revenge considering what you WRX's do to us on the street ;-)

2003 came in Orange and Black. 2003.5 came in Yellow, Blue, Silver and Titanium. Only differences were cosmetic. 03.5 lost the fog lights yet gained a darker finish on the rims and a difference spoiler.

Quote Originally Posted by Griswold
    That's why I bought it...autocrossing in DS. That's the only time we get our revenge considering what you WRX's do to us on the street ;-)

Still kinda a sleeper in my mind, and although never seen one in black, even more so in that color. Everyone knows what the spec V's have been doing out there on the track as far as stealing away the wrx's spotlight.

if it was the wagon than it should be the 2.0l 4cyl. def be careful if the protege has the 1.8l dohc cause those motors are made for boost. my other car is a mx-3 with a bpt gtr motor in it that makes 210hp chp stock and right now with minimal mods makes 222whp and 216tq in a 2500lbs car and trust me it def hauls. id say on a roll it would compare with my sti in speed. i know the sti isnt a highway car but still. the best motor mazda made was th 1.8l dohc bp motor. they live for boost.
    iraq sucks its too damn hot......130 degrees blah i hat this place. come on jan of 06!!!

I also have a Mazdaspeed Protege, and bought it with the intention of autoxing in DS.
    I used to own a WRX and i do miss the straight-line acceleration, but this little car gets the job done, and the handling is....like someone already mentioned.....unreal. It is this unbelieveable handing that attracts most owners, mostly the autoxing type, but it unfortunately also has it's ricer following......really sad when you think about it.
    02 silver WRX sedan----Sold
    03.5 Mazdaspeed Proteg--DS beast