05 wrx vs. 06 cobalt ss - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on 05 wrx vs. 06 cobalt ss within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by dark_rex the bpv isn't a great way to limit boost, considering it will only vent when off ...

Quote Originally Posted by dark_rex
    the bpv isn't a great way to limit boost, considering it will only vent when off throttle.
    It actually is a great way to limit boost. (and the only way on a eaton/ roots supercharger without replacing the pulley)

A Eaton/ Roots Supercharger incorporates a bypass valve different from what you are thinking of. When you are cruising or at idle, the valve closes to recirculate that air around inside the unit, until it is needed... then opens 100% to send air into the engine when a certain throttle position is reached.

they are probably modifying the TPS signal to control the bypass from opening fully until 1000 miles... quite an interesting strategy.

This must be why the car is underrated from the factory, despite the SAE test standards put into effect to control the misleading power figures. Very interesting...
    Yes, that is me in my avatar! Kid's don't try this at home.
    CLICKY to view My Extensive Mod List!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I still can't see having a 200+ hp fwd car. The ss and srt-4 are great bang for the buck though, just a shame that the owners can't keep their claims relistic.... STI, 350z, G35 . I wonder what they will be claiming to beat next. I guess those of us driving plain old WRXs should actually be watching out for the Cobalt LSs. My girlfriend's uncle has one I'll race him and let you all know if you should be scared .

Quote Originally Posted by SonicYellowWRX
    It actually is a great way to limit boost. (and the only way on a eaton/ roots supercharger without replacing the pulley)

A Eaton/ Roots Supercharger incorporates a bypass valve different from what you are thinking of. When you are cruising or at idle, the valve closes to recirculate that air around inside the unit, until it is needed... then opens 100% to send air into the engine when a certain throttle position is reached.

they are probably modifying the TPS signal to control the bypass from opening fully until 1000 miles... quite an interesting strategy.

This must be why the car is underrated from the factory, despite the SAE test standards put into effect to control the misleading power figures. Very interesting...
    I'm not sure how they are on the SS, but I know on a grand prix, that the bypass has no control on allowing air to flow into the motor. It is just there to prevent to must boost from entering the engine, and causing internal engine damage. GPs make boost be it at 1/2 throttle or full throttle it's all a mater of RPM (IE faster the SC is spinning the more boost you are making).
    Stock or something close to it.....

lets see considering my jeep has 400HP to the wheels and about 580 TQ......I think you might have to eat that turd now.... I would not make comments unless you know the facts.
    Driving a WRX is like having a big d*ck; it's not immediately obvious to everyone, but you have to just rest assured that when it comes time to put it to use, you won't need to explain a whole lot afterwards!!

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...07/devilZ1.jpg

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Pele0107
    lets see considering my jeep has 400HP to the wheels and about 580 TQ......I think you might have to eat that turd now.... I would not make comments unless you know the facts.
    Mods? Pics?

Quote Originally Posted by sonicrx
    the colbaltss posts faster times than the stock 2.0l wrx's . i think the 06 wrx might have the edge though wit the 2.5l
    Thats not true, faster trap speeds but not faster 1/4 mile times.
    2005 WRX (Short throw shifter, lightweight pulley,STI Splitters,Tein H-Tech springs,Up/Down Pipe, ERZ Catback, Cobb Stage 2, ASA JH8 with Yokohama ES 100s) 13.680@100.46mph

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    Mods? Pics?
    +1
    Pretty cool, if true.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

1979 AMC CJ-5
    Mods:
    AMC 401 bored 30 over.
    Edelbrock lifted cam, intake manifold and 850CFM double pumper carb.
    Nascar valved cyclinder heads.

Running 4.88 gears with detroit lockers front and rear with 35 inch tires and 10 inch trial master lift kit. I have a pic but i am at work so i will have to post it later today.

Last time it was dynoed was about a year ago.....only thing done to it since then is getting it dirty and new exhuast.
    Driving a WRX is like having a big d*ck; it's not immediately obvious to everyone, but you have to just rest assured that when it comes time to put it to use, you won't need to explain a whole lot afterwards!!

I Support ClubWRX
    1979 AMC CJ-5
    Mods:
    AMC 401 bored 30 over.

Running 4.88 gears with detroit lockers front and rear with 35 inch tires and 10 inch trial master lift kit. I have a pic but i am at work so i will have to post it later today.

Last time it was dynoed was about a year ago.....only thing done to it since then is getting it dirty and new exhuast.
    Sounds like a beast.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    1979 AMC CJ-5
    Mods:
    AMC 401 bored 30 over.

Cooooool

I have to ask though, (no flame intended) what is a Nascar valved head?

I recently raced one of these things from a stop and a roll. I spanked him from a stop and pulled away from him fast from a roll(starting from about 60). I think you guys are giving these things too much credit.

FYI-- I am only cobb stage one with 60k miles and this was on winter tires(Dunlop wintersport M3). Which by the way are the most kick a** winter tires ever!!!!

I live in Cecil county MD, its a hick town with more blowers per garage then any county in the state. (that was alil background) The guy i took it too was putting new valves in my cyclinder heads and asked if i wanted the biggest ones avaible for another 50 dollars. He called them Nascar valved heads........i noticed a big difference after the installation of them. Not really sure how big they are or anything....

I've never seen any modded SS's but have seen two stock. My friend lost by about a car to one in is modded gsr from a roll. That was about a week after he beat me by about a car when i was stock from a 60 roll. Now i have tbe and mbc and i kill my friend from any speed so im guessing the cobalt wouldn't be too much of a challenge. Don't know how they will react to mods. But tbe on your rex and you will pull him from a roll and really bad from a stop I predict.

the ss is slow my friend has one and he can drive and hit a 15.3 in the 1/4 mile i mean they do have some pick up on the 50-80 mph but the are governed at 125mph u can hit at least 137mph in stock wrx

schoolloans
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainable
    I still can't see having a 200+ hp fwd car. The ss and srt-4 are great bang for the buck though, just a shame that the owners can't keep their claims relistic.... STI, 350z, G35 . I wonder what they will be claiming to beat next. I guess those of us driving plain old WRXs should actually be watching out for the Cobalt LSs. My girlfriend's uncle has one I'll race him and let you all know if you should be scared .
    Ummm, SRT-4's have about the same trap speeds as a 350z and can be higher than a G35. They are in fact, from a roll, a fairly good race with an STi, a little slower, but very close. Certainly a bad STi driver could get beat by a good SRT4 driver form a roll on... Why would you think they are lying??? The thing puts down 225 whp (about the same as an STi). On a roll, I'd take the SRT-4 over the G35 for sure, and call it a dead heat against a 350. Either way, these are very close races, even with the STi (from a roll) and certainly nothing to raise the BS flag about....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast