05 wrx vs. 06 cobalt ss - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on 05 wrx vs. 06 cobalt ss within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; This thread is making me sad. I though colbalt ss' were a joke. It's me making want to keep the ...

This thread is making me sad. I though colbalt ss' were a joke. It's me making want to keep the vette.
    Last edited by Wrx BriT; 12-02-2005 at 07:53 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

We all have to remember that the thread starter has an 06 wrx not an 04, and the wrx can move down the track faster than what motor trend claimed it to be. I also I am gonna find out how much torque the cobalt ss has because the 98.2 trap speed is kinda high even for a 2wd car considering the 0-60 and what not.

Ugh, I just looked up the specs and it's 205hp and 200tq but it only weighs 2,806lbs so yeah the lightnesseseseseses will definately help the acceleration.
    Last edited by TheReaper; 12-02-2005 at 09:26 PM.
    You might be a king or a little street sweeper but sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

speed magazine has the 06 wrx doing 0-60 in 5.5 and the quarter in 14.3.

The thread starter has an '05 WRX, not an '06

That said, I think Motor Trend's numbers are off a bit. 6.1 0-60? The quarter seems a little high but if it was someone who had never driven the car before, I could see that. They probably had a 60' time of 2.0 or so.
    NEWENGLANDF4
    1972 Corvette - LS6 / T56 powered

Quote Originally Posted by sonicrx
    here is a correction to your data straight from motor trend,and um your jeep will not beat a turd on a slow roll down hill.
    WOW! 98.2mph traps from the SS! From a roll the WRX is dead meat! From a standing start, its even... thats crazy!!

And people should realize that the cobalt is built to handle... not drag race.
    Yes, that is me in my avatar! Kid's don't try this at home.
    CLICKY to view My Extensive Mod List!

Quote Originally Posted by sonicrx
    ss and the 04 wrx run the same et,and the ss traps 98.2 where the wrx traps 93. from a roll the ss will win,and from a dig it is a drivers race . i would like to see it either way
    I am aware the SS traps considerably highter, hence why I said that, then backed it up with specific data, and then stated that the SS would win from a roll... As from a dig, yes, it could very easily be a driver race (both are mid 14sec cars on average) but note that I stated that "if he can drive well" he will beat it from a dig..... Seeing as a well driven wrx will hit low 14's which is just slightly out of the cobalt SS's range of stock capabilities.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

Stage 2 is the answer. Yes.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #027

95 Mitsu 3000GT TT Sable Black
    2006 WRX TR Crystal Gray Metallic

http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/3...dwrxsig5yd.jpg

ss

i raced one and it seemed it prolly would slowly pull on a stock wrx but maybe not on one set to 17.5psi
    Fp18g, Txs RFL
    650cc PE Injectors, Walb 255 Fp3" TBE, Perrin Inlet Hose, UteC, HeliX uppipe,Stock Tmic
    STock Clutch , Stock 5 Speedn
    STI ShortBloCK 265whp 300tq @17psi Still DETUNED
    13.1 @104 Slipping Clutch

I know no one wants to admit it, but GM did it's homework, and built a very good car.

When i raced the SS, the driver obviously had no idea how to race from a stop, because we went 3 races from stop lights, and first 2 races he was doing 5k dumps, and last race i could hear him bouncing off rev limiter when he dumped the clutch....lots of smoke but not much forward motion! But once we got on the highway, it just wasn't close enough, I started in 3rd at about 4500rpm, and by the time i built boost he was already leaving me, and there was no way i was catching him. i'd definatley like to see what i could do against one with stage 2.
    Stock or something close to it.....

I Support ClubWRX
    I'm looking forward to lining up against one. Modded or not, it should be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Pele0107
    205 hp race-inspired Ecotec 2.0-liter supercharged four-cylinder engine and five-speed manual transmission
    Cobalt SS are underrated from the factory, they are dyno'ing in the range of 215 whp.

http://www.cobaltss.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2213

http://www.cobaltss.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3022

http://www.cobaltss.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2729

http://www.cobaltss.com/forums/showt...ght=stock+dyno

Also, The Cobalt SS only boosts 10 PSI for the first 1000 miles instead of 12.5 which is full. It has a bypass valve which I believe controls boost through the ECU. It opens at 10 PSI under 1000 miles, and 12.5 over 1000 miles from what I understand.

the bpv isn't a great way to limit boost, considering it will only vent when off throttle.

That's pretty crazy... I didn't know they were that underrated from the factory. Seems like most people are hitting 215-219whp stock. They should be rated at about 250hp from the factory, assuming a 15% or so drivetrain loss. I drove the Cobalt SS and Ion Redline numerous times at the GM AutoShow in Motion this summer and they were definitely fun, peppy cars... but I'm still glad I have the WRX.
    NEWENGLANDF4
    1972 Corvette - LS6 / T56 powered

Well, I think from a dig, no matter what year, a WRX should spank an SS. Given that you get a decent launch. I have seen Car and Driver quote an 04' to 60 in 5.6 and lets not forget that it takes a lot more finese to get a good launch from a high horespower front driver. The combination of those two factors, I think the SS should be toast.

I've seen posts in the cobalt forums of them getting into the 13's with bolt on's. I think it was a 75 shot 2 power adders = 13's

I think it's still to soon to tell how they will respond to mods. Hopefully come spring time we'll see more times out of them. So far I've only seen one on the street.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast