WRX vs. GLI

This is a discussion on WRX vs. GLI within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Driving back to school with some friends late Sunday night, my one buddy with a 04 Jetta GLI decided he ...

WRX vs. GLI

Driving back to school with some friends late Sunday night, my one buddy with a 04 Jetta GLI decided he wanted to do a few pulls with me. I agreed and we waited until the road was wide open with no traffic. (anyone who has ever made the ride to PSU knows RT. 322 is usually wide open at 10pm) His mods are: Revo Stg 2 Chip, 4 Bar Fuel Pressure Regulator, Turboback exhaust, short ram intake, diverter valve, and front mount intercooler. Last week he dynoed his car at 190whp/240whtq. (a little low in the HP I thought for that car, becuase it certainly feels faster when i have driven it) My mods are: catless turboback, up/pipe and short ram intake. Now that you know about the cars, here are the results of the races:
    First pull was from 70-100 and I ended up about 1 car ahead. second race was the same with the same results. Next race was from 60-120. I jumped ahead 1.5 car lengnths and it stayed that way until about 110 when i started to walk away from him very slowly. End of that race i would say i was about 2.5-3 cars ahead by 120. Same race again with the same results. The last race was a 3rd gear pull starting at 3,000RPM (like his dyno pull). That race, he pulled a half a car until I got to around 5000RPM in 3rd where i brought us even again, and torwards the middle of 4th gear i pulled ahead a half a car with him right behind my door. I explained that our cars make power in different ways and at different RPM's but it was still a good run for comparisons sake. I was suprised the held him off on the highway the way I did. Normally the 1.8T with those mods should have resulted differently. Both of us were packed up with luggage and other going back to college stuff. It was a fun, safe run for both of us.
    -Marc
    WRX - It's not a rocket. It's a guided missile.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Nice run!

My friend has a '04 Blue Jetta GLI and i have been wondering how they stack up against the WRX.

I can't find any #s for them anywhere. the normal 1.8T does 0-60 in 7.8sec, but the GLI has Eagl F1 tires, ESP, etc. I know the '03 GLI VR6 did 0-60 in 6.9sec.

My friend just has a Diverter valve and a reflash (though i think its back to stock now after his clutch went and dealer may of pulled his battery)... he killed his clutch and flywheel in 9,000mi (over a year of driving). [he doesnt race, launch, or anything, still not sure how he did that]
    2008 Satin White Pearl WRX Sedan w/ Navi
    2005 San Remo Red WRX Sedan w/ VF34 (traded)
    Pi Kappa Alpha | New England Flat 4

1.8Ts are kinda slow

For those cars it is all about the mods... most of the time they only have a few little things and they are slow but with some moderate work they can be pretty quick.
    Heaven is where the police are british, the chefs Italian, the mechanics German, the Lovers French and it is all organized by the Swiss. Hell is where the police are German, The chefs British, the mechanics French,the Lovers Swiss, and its all organized by the italians.
    Cobb Stage 2 Cattless FTW
    My Blobeye Syndicate #

One of my friends had a 1.8T Wolfsburg Edition, and before my turboback has used to be somewhat close on highway pulls, might have been the weight.
    luxury is 1.00 BAR+ of boost and the inability for your passenger to touch the dashboard

Nice run

1.8T's are very slow in quattro Audi form stock, and modded (with the stock KO3 turbo). 1.8T in Audi/VW in front wheel drive form can be quite quick with the right mods, especially on the highway. There have been a lot of stories on here of 1.8Ts with similar mods killing WRX's on the highway. I always have believed that the WRX especially with my mods is faster. Any stock WRX would get killed from a roll by a 1.8T with my friends mods (i know for a fact). Their stock turbos are so small, that they spool ultra fast, creating insane torque numbers, but dying off at like 5300rpm. The WRX as we all know, has a second life right before red-line. So calling the 1.8T with those mods slow is a very ignorant statement. It is by no means slow. My friends and all always agrue who has a faster car especially on the highway, and now we know.
    -Marc
    WRX - It's not a rocket. It's a guided missile.

And knowing is half the battle

yep good run my friend has a 1.8t but with aftermarket turbo and smic!! the **** was fast but still has nothing on Vishnu stage 2 wrx!!
    nice kill