Good Tuner Cars
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on Good Tuner Cars within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey guys and gals, I'm just looking for some input. I already own a WRX and love it but I ...

Good Tuner Cars

Hey guys and gals, I'm just looking for some input. I already own a WRX and love it but I want to branch out. I have some extra cash and I am thinking about gettin another car. But I don't know much about other cars then Subarus and old cars from the 30s 40s and 50s. I'm looking for a nice cheap project car, probably just a 90s era car that I can pick up for cheep and do some mods to it and just have fun driving. If anyone would be willing to throw a few car ideas my way that would be awesome. My budget for the car itself would be under $10k. I know the Nissan 240sx is a good one but everyone seems to drive those.

***Note: No Miatas haha.***

Thanks again.
    It's all about rally racing, nothing more.
    On second thought maybe its all about Rally Racing and Auto-X

'06 Steel Gray WRX (Stock)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

everyone seems to be driving honda's but there's really not many other cars to tune without a strong aftermarket backing.

have u considered a honda? for 10k you could get an early 90's honda engine swap etc and still be well under 10k.

there's alot of honda's around but have u could be one of the few who have a quick one.
    04 JBP WRX

PnP vf30 etc.

I Support ClubWRX
    1990-1992 colt/mirage/summit/excel with a 2.0 DSM turbo drivetrain.

I've been thinking about a honda... but I'm sick of seeing Civics and CRXs I'm up in NY about an 1.2 hrs NW of NYC. Everyone into the "tuner scene" has them. Maybe there is a good Honda that isn't a Civic or CRX (i think its a crx I'm not sure now) haha. But yeah keep the ideas coming please.

*side note*: Swapping a Civic engine w/ an STI spec C OH! (get the prybars, we will make it fit!)

a Toyota MR2 would make a nice 10k project

a 1g DSM .but you better be handy with a wrench.. had 2 loved em to death..when they ran.
    08 Audi RS4 (the retirement car)
    03 SY WRX (daily)
    07 Forester XT (wifes ride
    07 GSX-R 1000 (when cars get boring)

Hmm... I'm likin a few of those. the MR2 is nice so is the DSM

240 sx with a sr20det swap, and suspension work. The Silvia (JDM 240sx) is called the Mustang of the japanese market. There is a HUGE market for the sr20 motor, and the 240 is pretty cheap to work on/buy. Not as cheap as a civic, but as you said, everyone has one. If you really want something to work on, get an 88(not sure if that's the right year) Dodge Omni, and turn it into a GLH-S clone.

EDIT; forgot to say, I like the Mr2 idea; I was going to post that one until I saw someone already did. Also, you could look into a Del Sol project car.

WHOA! I really like the GLHS that thing looks SWEET!

well considering I own 3 of the cars mentioned in this thread, ill give you a little insight on all of them. The mr2 is a babe magnet, and its pretty reliable, but a PITA to work on. I did a motor swap on it this summer. Its completly doable, but given a choice i would much rather work on something with a FF or FR set up.

As for the DSM, you can get REAL fast for cheap, but your sacrificing some reliability, as the old dsm gurus always say: pic 2 : fast, cheap, or reliable.

As for the omni, this is definatly the cheapest of all of them... yes ... even the DSMs. You can pic of a straight omni body that doesnt run for a few hundred bucks, sometimes less. I scored mine for 100 dollars. The motors are everywhere... the 2.5 turbo, or even better 2.2 turbo motor can be had for a couple hundred bucks. people have hit 11s for 1500-2k dollars including cost of the car ... LOL.... definatly not a babe magnet.... ugly ass car, but light as can be and about as much sleeper as you can get. IMHO id go with the omni/plymouth horizon. Everything u need to kno about these cars can be found at www.thedodgegarage.com

If you feel like branching out get a fox body Mustang, 5.0 LX for the lightest body with the big engine. A lot can be done to them, they can hit 12's easily and reach the 10's easier than the other options you have been given so far. There is also a huge aftermarket for them, from straight line racing to serious suspension pieces that will make them handle amazingly.

You can get one for 5 grand and then put the rest of your money into it to make it whatever you want it to be.
    Current Vehicle: 2006 Volvo S60 R Sonic Blue/Atacama
    SOLD:
    2006 Graphite Gray Evo IX
    2004 STi
    2003 SVT Cobra
    2003 SVT Lightning
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffbmx00 View Post
    my friend has a 5.0 too, they are slow, the only way to decently make them fast is to drop a v8 explorer engine in them.

Get a Starquest

Wicked cool cars
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #027

95 Mitsu 3000GT TT Sable Black
    2006 WRX TR Crystal Gray Metallic

http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/3...dwrxsig5yd.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by ShardAerithes
    Get a Starquest

Wicked cool cars

A what?

Starion/Conquest
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #027

95 Mitsu 3000GT TT Sable Black
    2006 WRX TR Crystal Gray Metallic

http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/3...dwrxsig5yd.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wheeler
    a Toyota MR2 would make a nice 10k project
    +1
    2004 PSM WRX
    Currently Cobb Stage 2

Blobeye Syndicate #23

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.