Good Tuner Cars - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on Good Tuner Cars within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; If I had to choose a second cheap car to upgrade i would have to get a 99-00 civic hatch ...

If I had to choose a second cheap car to upgrade i would have to get a 99-00 civic hatch back and swap either a Integra type R motor into it or if you wanted to spend a little more money you could put a K20 aka Rsx type s motor into it and it would really move then. Don't much like the DSM's or the 5.0 mustangs. Second choice would be the 240 sx and then third the MR2. but it is really up to what you like. All can be made fast pretty easily.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    My first pick for a second car would be an 89-92 fox mustang. They dont weight alot, have a good drivetrain, and a ton of aftermarket. They come with the v8 which in most cases will always beat a 4 banger in dollar to dollar mod. They can be made to handle very well or just go like stink in a straight line.

My second cheap second car would be a older crx. Just about any GOOD engine swap will get you around 150-200 hp in these cars. They handle well because of there weight, parts are easy to come by, and it's just a blast to drive. I drove one with a 1.8 sohc teg motor (non vtec) with a t-25 on it and it was a blast. Only boosting 7 psi but it hit full boost at 2200 rpms. All together only had 4000 in the car and will easily keep up with just about every "street" car there is. Even on ten year old susp. it handling nicely. I'd love to see what an aftermarket setup could do.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

92-96 civic ek hatch with a k20a swap.....can be done for just about 10k. and you will be in the high 12's

i think we're forgetting to ask em something. Since he likes WRX so much, does he want a sporty handling car with tight controls?

Or do you just wanna go fast in a straight line and twisties be damned?
    I hate my WRX's stock horn....

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by spec2wrx
    92-96 civic ek hatch with a k20a swap.....can be done for just about 10k. and you will be in the high 12's
    that's an EG civic...

I think the Omni idea is kinda cool...

My project is a box-body S-10... I'm waiting for my 350 to arrive... My current output is <$1000... but I called a few favors, and did some trading

I figure it will hit the track at <$2500...
    Dirty Jersey
    Part-Time Grammar Nazi
    RIP- '02 PSM Wagon
    08 Candy White MK5 GTI 6spd

Moderator:Tri-State and Transmission & AWD forums

Omni Turbo
    Last edited by StreetSlider; 02-17-2006 at 05:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    1990-1992 colt/mirage/summit/excel with a 2.0 DSM turbo drivetrain.
    Yeah, for like 1-2k you can get a mid to late 90's mirage. All you need to do is get a 2nd gen turbo eclipse motor & tranny along with an exhaust system and you'd be haulin balls. And you'd still have money left over so you could do a few more things and be running like 11's. Check these out Vid #1 Vid #2 Vid #3
    You might be a king or a little street sweeper but sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Kanchou
    i think we're forgetting to ask em something. Since he likes WRX so much, does he want a sporty handling car with tight controls?

Or do you just wanna go fast in a straight line and twisties be damned?

Good question, I hadn't really thought about that. I'd like a decent amount of handling, but over all speed isn't important, however acceleration is. I'm not looking to hit 150 mph.... maybe 110 would be good enough for over all speed.
    It's all about rally racing, nothing more.
    On second thought maybe its all about Rally Racing and Auto-X

'06 Steel Gray WRX (Stock)

Suzuki Swift GT. Don't laugh, now. There's one running very well in SCCA G Production. I saw it on Speed last weekend. A quick search shows a bunch of cheap mods. This beast was running neck-and-neck with Rabbits and MGs. Of course, it was completely stripped and race-prepped, but you get the idea. Sleeper!
    ribonucleic acid freakout

Quote Originally Posted by TBomb
    Good question, I hadn't really thought about that. I'd like a decent amount of handling, but over all speed isn't important, however acceleration is. I'm not looking to hit 150 mph.... maybe 110 would be good enough for over all speed.
    Merkur XR4Ti
    2.3L 4 Cylinder 175 hp Turbo
    RWD

^^^
    Good one.

On Chop, Cut, Rebuild, they swapped a Merkur engine into a Ranger. Sweet.

How about one of those old Thunderbird TCs? 2.3L turboed/intercooled. They're probably all beat up by now, but you might find one on the cheap. Looks like a heavy pig, but they cruise well.
    ribonucleic acid freakout

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wheeler
    Merkur XR4Ti
    2.3L 4 Cylinder 175 hp Turbo
    RWD

WHOA! I've never even heard of that car, it looks awesome. I'm assuming its not available in the states. If it is tho, who made/makes it? It seems like a fun car, especially the RWD!

Quote Originally Posted by dielectric
    ^^^
    Good one.

On Chop, Cut, Rebuild, they swapped a Merkur engine into a Ranger. Sweet.

How about one of those old Thunderbird TCs? 2.3L turboed/intercooled. They're probably all beat up by now, but you might find one on the cheap. Looks like a heavy pig, but they cruise well.
    My first car was a 1988 turbo t-bird. I took it to the track bone stock with 136k miles on it and i managed a 16.3@88mph. Sounds slow but when i did some research car and driver did a best of a 16.4 so i did pretty well i guess. The Turbo Coupe was a nice car had lots of nice features, but its tiny engine lacked in the top end and it was only good through the first 3 gears, kinda like the wrx, but far slower.
    2005 WRX (Short throw shifter, lightweight pulley,STI Splitters,Tein H-Tech springs,Up/Down Pipe, ERZ Catback, Cobb Stage 2, ASA JH8 with Yokohama ES 100s) 13.680@100.46mph

Quote Originally Posted by TBomb
    WHOA! I've never even heard of that car, it looks awesome. I'm assuming its not available in the states. If it is tho, who made/makes it? It seems like a fun car, especially the RWD!

Merkur made it, they used the ford 2.3 turbo engine that came in the t-bird and perhaps in the SVO mustang also i believe. It was available in the states and you see them around from time to time.
    2005 WRX (Short throw shifter, lightweight pulley,STI Splitters,Tein H-Tech springs,Up/Down Pipe, ERZ Catback, Cobb Stage 2, ASA JH8 with Yokohama ES 100s) 13.680@100.46mph

Whats the car called? Just Merkur?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.