Question about launching
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Question about launching within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi guys, I am getting an 06 WRX in a few weeks and I can tell my friends are worried ...

Question about launching

Hi guys,

I am getting an 06 WRX in a few weeks and I can tell my friends are worried that I will put up a good fight with them at the drag strip . I have a few questions though, as I am not familiar with launching AWD cars:

One or two say that if I launch very often, it's very hard on my clutch (and transmission! - which I found hard to believe) and I'll need a new clutch pretty soon. And if I decide not to launch, I'll bog. Can anyone provide a bit more insight into this? I would imagine that Subaru has made it so you can launch a WRX pretty often without running into many problems.

Obviously launching isn't good for clutch life on any car, but I'm just wondering how this will affect me in my WRX.

Thanks
    Last edited by Pastapuck; 11-26-2005 at 07:38 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Congrats on your purchase. Please visit the drag racing forum and read the stickies there. There are many dealing with the launching of the Impreza platform. Have fun!
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

Thanks for the reply! After I posted this I actually read some topics, and I must say...I'm somewhat scared...I know the temptation to launch will be there, but I really don't want to damage my car. I'll continue reading

Question:

I haven't been able to find any information on this.

If your car is stock and your gears are stripped due to excessive launches, can Subaru deny your warranty if you ask for a new transmission?

your being paranoid. theres no problem launching your car. as long as you slip off the clutch and get the burnt rubber smell you'll be ok.
    04 JBP WRX

PnP vf30 etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Pastapuck
    Question:

If your car is stock and your gears are stripped due to excessive launches, can Subaru deny your warranty if you ask for a new transmission?
    Definately. They'll call it abuse.

Eek - I'll have to be extra careful with my baby then.

Thanks for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by Pastapuck
    Question:

Oh yea, count on that!

I've learned this technique in launching from i-Club and I've practiced it myself and it launched my car smooth off the line.

Step 1: Pre-load the transmission (it'll be much easier for it)

Press on gas pedal and reach tach meter to about 3k rpm.
    Release the clutch slowly to the point of engagement, but barely touching that it would not move the car.

Step 2: Get ready for launch

Keeping the clutch at the same exact point from step 1 - blip the gas to raise rpm to 5500 rpm (blipping gas pedal so you build boost)
    Floor the gas and release clutch and you're off to a nice launch

I've practiced this couple of times and my launch is really nice off the line everytime I do it. It is less stessful for my transmission than it is launching without pre-loading the tranny. Try it and see for yourself, and I'd like to know about your experience with this.

But if you're worried about breaking something, you know what, if you play hard there's always risk of breaking something. This technique or way of launching can only prolong the life of your transmission. But keep in mind, that launching all the time will cause it to go out FAST, and that goes to any car!
    Last edited by Me&05WRX; 11-27-2005 at 11:40 PM.
    I might be back in the market for the new STI sedan!

^^ Take his advice ^^

As long as something is slipping you're not damaging your transmission wether its the clutch or tires.
    2005 Ubaru Impreza WRX Sedan Crystal Grey Metallic
    Mods: In my profile
    http://www.myspace.com/scottycruz

If you are planning on modding the car then plan on having some tranny problems down the road. You can launch your car, just dont do it at every stoplight and stopsign and it will be fine.
    Cobb Stage two and a half.

launching techniques

just bought an 06sti a few months ago. i was curious about the launching techniques. Currently, i rev at around 6k or 7k rpm then gas it. Would it be more effective reving it to 4k or 5k then gas it like i've read in the other post? Also, the way i'm doing this technique, am i gradually destroying the tranny and clutch?

Quote Originally Posted by wrxSTIbeast View Post
    just bought an 06sti a few months ago. i was curious about the launching techniques. Currently, i rev at around 6k or 7k rpm then gas it. Would it be more effective reving it to 4k or 5k then gas it like i've read in the other post? Also, the way i'm doing this technique, am i gradually destroying the tranny and clutch?

well, the sti transmission is much stronger than the wrx tranny, but It's still better to preload the transmission and slip launch it rather than just revving it up and dumping it. If you're just revving to 6k and dropping it, then yea, you're putting a ton of unnecessary stress on those gears. it's alot cheaper to replace a clutch than it is to replace or rebuild a transmission

It's these redline launches that give the tranny such a short lifespan. 6 or 7k rpm?!

With the proper slip you can net a 1.7x 60ft every time at only ~ 4500 rpm. That's worked fine on all the AWD cars I've owned in the past 16 years.
    John M
    2000 Lincoln Continental - slow DD with the DOHC 4.6 and a Superchips tune
    1992 Lexus SC400 - slow resto project
    2005 Legacy GT Limited - SOLD Feb 2011 - Forged internals, FP HTA Green @ 22 psi.

Quote Originally Posted by scotts05 View Post
    As long as something is slipping you're not damaging your transmission wether its the clutch or tires.
    I must disagree. Back to high school physics class. There are two types of friction static and dynamic. Static friction exists between two surfaces that are not moving relative to each other (tires gripping pavement and not spinning). Dynamic friction exists between two surfaces that are moving relative to each other (spinning tires on stationary pavement). For nearly every pair of materials known (one material on each side .... rubber and asphalt), the coefficient of dynamic friction is lower than the coefficient of static friction. People look at that and assume that you are stressing your drive train less if you spin your tires.

Well, in order to break the tires loose you must break the static friction. The absolute maximum stress happens just before your tires break loose... where static friction is at it's maximum. So, to get into a dynamic friction situation you have to push the drive train through the highest possible stress = max static friction. This has to be harder on the drive train than staying below that max static friction.

I've asked Subaru about this specifically. They sent me a well written email about how it is better to slip the clutch more than trying to get the tires spinning. They pointed out that the clutch is a wear item where the gears are not. One is much cheaper to replace than the other.

just my $0.02
    <---Is that not the ugliest critter?
    ---------------------------------------------
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #43

Quote Originally Posted by Pastapuck View Post
    Hi guys,

I am getting an 06 WRX in a few weeks and I can tell my friends are worried that I will put up a good fight with them at the drag strip . I have a few questions though, as I am not familiar with launching AWD cars:

One or two say that if I launch very often, it's very hard on my clutch (and transmission! - which I found hard to believe) and I'll need a new clutch pretty soon. And if I decide not to launch, I'll bog. Can anyone provide a bit more insight into this? I would imagine that Subaru has made it so you can launch a WRX pretty often without running into many problems.

Obviously launching isn't good for clutch life on any car, but I'm just wondering how this will affect me in my WRX.

Thanks
    just be careful because i slipped launch one time and it was a very good launch.....however you could smell burnt clutch.... and then i missed 3rd and then 5th gear and i thought that i was just trying to shift too quickly so i lost the race......and then i gave up and when i try to put it back in gear it wouldnt go in.....dont know what happened but eventually i got it back into gear....I'm not saying that this is going to happen to you but Im just letting you know......also i have an sti tranny and an exedy racing clutch

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast