05 WRX STi(stock) - SL55 AMG
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 05 WRX STi(stock) - SL55 AMG within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; This was more of a chase race. I took the lead at first, and slowed down(to about 80mph) because he ...

05 WRX STi(stock) - SL55 AMG

This was more of a chase race. I took the lead at first, and slowed down(to about 80mph) because he let off. Well, all of a sudden he creeps up pretty quick, and I floor it. He blew by me! At first I felt pretty helpless, because as soon as I saw him starting to creep up, I downshifted and went hard, yet he still passed me pretty quickly. I didnt let up though, and @ 135 I started reeling him is slowly. We caught up to some traffic, and slowed down...as soon as it opened up again, we were both on it (i was still following) and he couldnt lose me, and he wasnt gaining too much on me. He calls it a day, and changed lanes, and I roll up next to him and look over. We both roll our tinted windows down, and to my suprise this guy was elderly gentleman, probably in his late 60s, early 70s and we both gave each other the thumbs up. Its really cool to what I capable of going up against. I get a little tired of ricers, and scions revving at me. Other than that, nobody else really wants to have a go!

SL55 AMG
    MSRP $125,775
    EngineAMG-built supercharged 5.5L 24-valve V-8 engine
    Net Power 493 hp @ 6,100 rpm
    Net Torque 516 lb-ft @ 2,750 - 4,000 rpm

WRX STi
    MSRP $32,295
    2.5 liter Intercooled tubro charged boxer engine
    Net Power 300hp @ 6,000 rpm
    Net Torque 300 lb-ft @ 4000 rpm

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    He probably let off at 135mph; a stock STi isn't going to reel in an SL55 at any speed. They're just about 120mph cars stock.

Both great cars, though.
    "Did you sleep well?"
    "No, I made a couple of mistakes."
    -- Steven Wright

yeah, um... the sl55 guy wasnt trying to hard. 105mph traps for the sti while the sl55 traps stock at 115-117. Those things will pull HARD on you from a roll.
    my R32 on CarDomain

Golf R32
    2004 SL500
    2000 M5 - SS exhaust, Xpipe, AFE Cold Air Intakes, Proj39 Angel Eyes, Carbon Fiber kidney grills, LED taillights... 111mph traps. soon, dinan ecu upgrade.

Agreed, the AMG woulda put bus lengths on you had he stood on it

135 coming up on traffic...
    shame on you guys
    - Local Riceist

booo, i figured. He was an older guy so, maybe he wasnt really into it as much as I was. Good fun though!!

Now imagine that being an SL65
    when the turbo spins the bull**** ends

My mods

my friend tried to run an SL65 AMG with his BMW 323i lol, it was coming from behind so we didnt know what it was until it it flew by us at light speed. all i was was the cross drilled slotted brembos. we finally caught up to him at a red light and saw the 65...and AMG, he actually rolled down his windows and said "whats up" my friend and i couldnt properly speak at that point, but he managed to say i love your car just as the light turned green, and the guy turned onto another road. that car was just beautiful

Quote Originally Posted by Vince126
    my friend tried to run an SL65 AMG with his BMW 323i lol, it was coming from behind so we didnt know what it was until it it flew by us at light speed. all i was was the cross drilled slotted brembos. we finally caught up to him at a red light and saw the 65...and AMG, he actually rolled down his windows and said "whats up" my friend and i couldnt properly speak at that point, but he managed to say i love your car just as the light turned green, and the guy turned onto another road. that car was just beautiful
    <<< knows from experience.
    The 65 drives nice too.... v12 biturbo...mmmmm
    ...If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first.

Blobeye Syndicate numero uno.

Re-Addicted to WRX tacomaboy138's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    i've never been a huge fan of Mercs...they are impressive, don't get me wrong. But for that price you'd find me in a Porsche I think...or I'd save my multi-millionaire spare change and dish out for an F430.
    2011 SWP WRX 4D
    07 MINI Cooper S... SOLD!
    03 WRX Wagon... SOLD!
    98 Toyota Tacoma...SOLD!

Jeremy Clarkson has my dream job.

Quote Originally Posted by tacomaboy138
    i've never been a huge fan of Mercs...they are impressive, don't get me wrong. But for that price you'd find me in a Porsche I think...or I'd save my multi-millionaire spare change and dish out for an F430.
    Same here. Nice enough cars but they just don't have that drool factor.

No, they don't impress the masses as much as a swoopy sports car. However, they'll blow the doors off them and do it in full luxury. Give me the sleeper any day.

Who can say no to a car that's electronically limited to "only" 700ish torque because that's all their transmission can hold? The engineers said 900+ torque is possible without boost management. Damn!
    John M
    2000 Lincoln Continental - slow DD with the DOHC 4.6 and a Superchips tune
    1992 Lexus SC400 - slow resto project
    2005 Legacy GT Limited - SOLD Feb 2011 - Forged internals, FP HTA Green @ 22 psi.

An SL55 would waste a stock Sti at any speed.
    13.7 at 98.74 MPH / Stock TD04 & No EM

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by John M
    No, they don't impress the masses as much as a swoopy sports car. However, they'll blow the doors off them and do it in full luxury. Give me the sleeper any day.

Who can say no to a car that's electronically limited to "only" 700ish torque because that's all their transmission can hold? The engineers said 900+ torque is possible without boost management. Damn!
    +1

I love the deadly sleepers
    "Did you sleep well?"
    "No, I made a couple of mistakes."
    -- Steven Wright

it's not about the deadly sleepers, and it's not about horsepower.

first of all no manual is offered, and AMG's have never been the overall package that its competitors have been. BMW M and even Audi S give a much more complete package, even if they come up short in the horsepower war.

there is such a thing as too much horspower when you can only get an automatic in a "sports sedan".

AMG's are torque monsters, but i'll put it this way:

i'll gladly trade 30 lb-ft of torque for brakes that aren't electronic and overly sensitive, and difficult to use.

i'll gladly trade another 20lb-ft of torque to have a much better ride/handling balance; AMG's feel as if they're supported on granite and are still overweight and unbalanced compared to their chief rivals, especially M's.

i'll gladly trade 10lb-ft of torque for more communicative steering (didn't Mercedez *just* switch to rack and pinion a few years ago?)

and hell, i'll easily trade 40lb-ft of torque for a manual.

But BMW already did all that for me: it's called an M5, and I'll take one over the SL 55 any day.
    embattled, we prevail...only victory exhaled.

Quote Originally Posted by AngelBoy
    it's not about the deadly sleepers, and it's not about horsepower.

first of all no manual is offered, and AMG's have never been the overall package that its competitors have been. BMW M and even Audi S give a much more complete package, even if they come up short in the horsepower war.

there is such a thing as too much horspower when you can only get an automatic in a "sports sedan".

AMG's are torque monsters, but i'll put it this way:

i'll gladly trade 30 lb-ft of torque for brakes that aren't electronic and overly sensitive, and difficult to use.

i'll gladly trade another 20lb-ft of torque to have a much better ride/handling balance; AMG's feel as if they're supported on granite and are still overweight and unbalanced compared to their chief rivals, especially M's.

i'll gladly trade 10lb-ft of torque for more communicative steering (didn't Mercedez *just* switch to rack and pinion a few years ago?)

and hell, i'll easily trade 40lb-ft of torque for a manual.

But BMW already did all that for me: it's called an M5, and I'll take one over the SL 55 any day.
    I'm sorry i think you meant ud gladly give up 150-200lbs trq or in the case of the SL65... almost 400+lbs.
    my R32 on CarDomain

Golf R32
    2004 SL500
    2000 M5 - SS exhaust, Xpipe, AFE Cold Air Intakes, Proj39 Angel Eyes, Carbon Fiber kidney grills, LED taillights... 111mph traps. soon, dinan ecu upgrade.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.