02 WRX wgn VS Magnum SRT-8
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 02 WRX wgn VS Magnum SRT-8 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I look into my rear view and notice a black car moving in and out of traffic (just cought my ...

02 WRX wgn VS Magnum SRT-8

I look into my rear view and notice a black car moving in and out of traffic (just cought my attention).

I stop at a light in the middle lane and he rolls up on my right. His lane merges into mine about 50ft after the intersection. I can tell that he keeps looking over at me and he is inching more and more forward. I know he intends to get in front of me and it's confirmed when I hear the growl of that wicked exhaust
    I usually just rev it once when I launch but this time knowing what I'm up against (and have always wanted to race one), I kept blipping the throttle to about 4k and 4.5k when the light turned green.
    I got a great launch and before the double white lines across the intersection I think I was about a car and a half ahead. I couldn't detect any wheelspin but I certainly heard his motor.
    I tach to 6800 between shifts and by the time I reached 100 I had about 3 or 4 car lengths on him (he was gaining very slowly until 90 then it was even all the way), and looking back I can tell he started to back off just a bit once I got to 110.
    I then casually slow down for the next light where I had to make a left turn. He passes me on the right (to go across) and stops about one car length ahead (red light) and stares at my car (in his side view mirror)...he wouldn't take his eyes off it (the guy seemed to be in his mid thirties).
    I'm excited over the good race and slowly make my left turn. After about 50yds. I look into the mirror and this guy leaves his lane and makes a left to follow me just as it turns yellow. He races after me and tails me. I really wanted more but 2 things, a well known speed trap was around the next bend and with this guy wanting to beat me this bad it could get ugly if he doesn't have any common sense as the road ahead has a 50mph limit and more turns.
    So I relax and watch him speed by, knowing I'm not racing any more, and at the next chance he makes a u-turn and goes back the way he came.
    I have a feeling he is going to crach that thing some day, but man....it felt great!
    02' Blk, Wagon, Cobb Stg. 2

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Good kill. Those things would be more fun w/ a 6speed.
    2008 Satin White Pearl WRX Sedan w/ Navi
    2005 San Remo Red WRX Sedan w/ VF34 (traded)
    Pi Kappa Alpha | New England Flat 4

was it really a srt-8 and not the regular r/t?
    Last edited by creditcards; 11-16-2005 at 02:20 PM.
    Yea tru love we can find ourselves
    I call our true identies
    Love ya brudda love ya sista
    Love everyone...the univeral sign
    Ill take it from here

Quote Originally Posted by creditcards
    was it really a srt-8 and not the regular srt?
    +1

Good run either way...

But those SRT-8's are 425hp, and run very low 13's (I've heard rumors of people hitting 12's stock) at around 110mph, an actual SRT-8 would have at least been pulling past you by 100mph even with a crappy launch, not 3-4 cars back.

The Regular Magnum SRT is no slouch though (still a 340hp V8 good for very low 14's), so good run.
    Cobb Stage 2.5 VF-34 + uppipe
    Best ET so far - 13.1@103 with a 1.81 60'

There is no regular SRT.

You guys mean was it a R/T 5.7L V8 (340HP AWD or RWD) and not the 6.1L V8 SRT-8 (425HP RWD only).
    2008 Satin White Pearl WRX Sedan w/ Navi
    2005 San Remo Red WRX Sedan w/ VF34 (traded)
    Pi Kappa Alpha | New England Flat 4

yeah,i meant the r/t.
    Yea tru love we can find ourselves
    I call our true identies
    Love ya brudda love ya sista
    Love everyone...the univeral sign
    Ill take it from here

Quote Originally Posted by D0WNxSH1FT
    There is no regular SRT.

You guys mean was it a R/T 5.7L V8 (340HP AWD or RWD) and not the 6.1L V8 SRT-8 (425HP RWD only).
    Yea basically what I meant... I'm not a big dodge fan, so the R/T model was what I meant (the regular hemi one, as in non SRT-8 V8), either way it got the point across...

It could have been but it clearly had the hood scoop, Brembos and no plates yet...brand new. Could have been a demo as I cannot find the Magnum SRT-8 on their website.

I have never ran the QT mi, but do you think it should have pulled on my Cobb Stg2 ? Probably, but you should have seen my launch

A black SRT-8 showed up at Willow Springs about two weeks ago for a track day I was attending. Not sure if it had paper plates or not.

Quote Originally Posted by drew888
    It could have been but it clearly had the hood scoop, Brembos and no plates yet...brand new. Could have been a demo as I cannot find the Magnum SRT-8 on their website.

I have never ran the QT mi, but do you think it should have pulled on my Cobb Stg2 ? Probably, but you should have seen my launch
    A basic Cobb stage 2 wagon (basic as in just turbo-back exhaust and Accessport) in the 1/4 will run mid-high 13's with a very good launch, the 340hp V8 Magnum will usually run low 14's with a good driver, that would be about a 3-4 car difference by 100.

Dont get offended or anything BTW, i'm not saying there was no way it was an SRT-8 because as we all know anything can happen on the streets and I wasnt there to see. I would however be careful telling alot of people who know much about these cars you smoked an SRT-8 anything (300C, Charger and Magnum all come as SRT-8's and run comparable times) unless you like getting in arguments, because even with an absolutely perfect launch in a Cobb Stg2 WRX, the SRT-8 will still blow past it by probably around 50-60mph if it launched, so even with a horrible launch in the SRT your still looking at alot less than 3-4 cars by 100 assuming he didnt give up after he saw the jump you got off the line. Those SRT-8's are sick cars (400+hp anything is pretty potent), and even my VF34 WRX would have a hard time holding one off past 100mph.

I understand....

I know he pushed it, but I think he did it too late.

Oh and properly optioned almost $45k, nope I'll take a modded Legacy over one first, but that
    s just me.

Quote Originally Posted by drew888
    I understand....

I know he pushed it, but I think he did it too late.

Oh and properly optioned almost $45k, nope I'll take a modded Legacy over one first, but that
    s just me.
    yea, the only way I'd pay $45K for any Dodge is if it was a used Viper... The SRT-8's are still nice cars, and damn quick though.

There is a guy over in LS1GTO.com that claims 12.5 @ 111 mph in his bone stock
    SRT-8.
    He even has a Video of the run to back it up. He said he did in in 40 degree air. It's hard to believe but anything is possible with the right weather and track conditions.

I hate to post jack but i've ran an srt-8 a few weeks ago, and beat him pretty good. by 3-4 cars from a 1st gear roll... i expected more from them.

Dude has a video and still nobody believes him? Damn, that's harsh!

Oh, and don't tell anybody about the Legacy. It needs to keep its sleeper status.
    John M
    2000 Lincoln Continental - slow DD with the DOHC 4.6 and a Superchips tune
    1992 Lexus SC400 - slow resto project
    2005 Legacy GT Limited - SOLD Feb 2011 - Forged internals, FP HTA Green @ 22 psi.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.