A Gtp ...
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on A Gtp ... within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Well I was leaving the Nebraska-Omaha football game the other day when a GTP pulled out of the dorms after ...

A Gtp ...

Well I was leaving the Nebraska-Omaha football game the other day when a GTP pulled out of the dorms after me. He flew up on my ass and proceeded to tailgate me terribly until we got to a light. I was turning right and so was he. So I turned out and he had to stop for a second. So I was going up a two-laner and he comes FLYING up behind me and starts to go around me. By the time I got on it he was already about three cars in front of me. So I dropped to third and floored it. By the end of third and top of fourth we were even. Then we both shut down due to upcoming lights and traffic.

SO I guess I'm confused. Is that a kill? And why are these people blowing by and not slowing to really start a race???
    WRX 2004 Cobb Stage II (91) w/Helix DP ... 13.8@96.

I need an uppipe and an exhaust!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Peachypumpkincheeks

I don't even think it was a race. The GTP driver just sounds like an idiot.
    Heather | 2002 WRX | Stage 2
    ScoobyDMCtt | Official Bodyguard #2 for the Bugeye Mafia
    TastesLikeAwesome | @Subiestar

Ive ran into plenty of those kids down at the UNO dorms.
    Cobb Stage two and a half.

In my mind I would call it a win, at least from the fact that you were obviously pulling on him pretty bad to catch back up after he already had a head-start, but then again I dont know if I would really call it a race either...

Thats what happens when someone is pretty sure they're going to lose and want to show you they're faster, they try and fly by when your not looking and then hope you cant catch up dumb kids, the domestic equivilent of the infamous ricer-flyby...

GTP's are decently quick for how big they are though (high 14's stock), and modded they can be decently fast (I've seen a few in the upper 13's personally), unfortunatly it seems every teenager that gets one thinks its the fastest racecar on the road ...
    Cobb Stage 2.5 VF-34 + uppipe
    Best ET so far - 13.1@103 with a 1.81 60'

True. There used to be one who lived near me when I had my MR2 and every chance he got he'd try to race me. I'd beat him consistently but he still kept trying. Persistent little bastard if nothing else. Rex=my life ... who are you on NSOC?
    WRX 2004 Cobb Stage II (91) w/Helix DP ... 13.8@96.

I need an uppipe and an exhaust!

I had a run in with one and was kinda dissapointed. Some guy my uncle knows is always blowing his mouth off about how he kills GT mustangs all day long in it. I think it was actually the guy my uncle knows too. I was trying to get up along side of him and he kept stepping on it so I finally just gave him a 3 car head start and passed like he was standing still. After that i slowed back down to a little less than the speed limit and he wouldn't come up alongside of me. Oh well w/e.

Registered User uncle lewie wrx's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 04wrx4keeps
    In my mind I would call it a win, at least from the fact that you were obviously pulling on him pretty bad to catch back up after he already had a head-start, but then again I dont know if I would really call it a race either...

Thats what happens when someone is pretty sure they're going to lose and want to show you they're faster, they try and fly by when your not looking and then hope you cant catch up dumb kids, the domestic equivilent of the infamous ricer-flyby...

GTP's are decently quick for how big they are though (high 14's stock), and modded they can be decently fast (I've seen a few in the upper 13's personally), unfortunatly it seems every teenager that gets one thinks its the fastest racecar on the road ...
    +1 on the ricer fly by. My buddy used to have a gtp that run 13.6 thats all he could get out of it.
    Uncle Lewie
    06 Aspen White STi w/ Gold BBS's

to the Ricer Flyby! I have been in the same situation as you before, I see them closing in QUICK and then they fly by when i'm slowing down thinking they want a race. I even had a civic once fly by me and then throw on the flashers!

Anyway, here is a video of my buddies GTP vs my WRX at the track couple weeks ago. WRX vs GTP needless to say his car is FAST! and totally street legal....actually this setup is his "street" setup. Big 2.6" pulley, 17* timing, and 93 pump gas...only thing not street are his Micket thmpson ET Streets, but i guess when you are making over 350whp through the front wheels you need all the traction you can get!
    Stock or something close to it.....

I Support ClubWRX
    I see more tools driving Pontiac sedans than just about any other car. What is it with these guys?
    "Did you sleep well?"
    "No, I made a couple of mistakes."
    -- Steven Wright

uke
    As with all cars, there are those idiots that think that there's nothing faster than them. I hate it when someone flys by me w/o even trying to get an even start.

If you started back from him then caught up, I'd consider it a kill. Just out of curiousity, what times do you run?

edit: nevermind, just saw your sig
    06 GTO - yeah, it's pretty quick
    Grand Prix GTP-gone

GTPs can be quick.
    I talked to a guy at the track with his wifes (yes, wifes) GTP. He had some home made intake, pully, and something else on the car (very basic mods). He ran back to back
    13.8 @ 98 mph with a 1.9 sec 60' on stock rubber.

We actually lined up and raced. He was beating me at the 1/8 mile (I got a bad start), but I passed him soon after and ended up beating him 13.2 @ 108 mph to his 13.8 @ 98 mph. I would have been pissed if I got beat by a lightly modded GTP in my GTO.

SGOSWRX,

It's been a year since I last visited this site. When did you get rid of the STI, and what was the deciding factor in the purchase of the GTO? I test drove one before I got my 06 WRX and loved it. The only problem was that I drive 90 miles to work and back, and the gas bill would kill me. BTW, thatís a bad @$$ ride.
    2006 WRX TR, Black
    2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee, SRT 8, Black
    2006 Corvette, Black
    1987 Buick Grand National Sold

Quote Originally Posted by Drod
    SGOSWRX,

It's been a year since I last visited this site. When did you get rid of the STI, and what was the deciding factor in the purchase of the GTO? I test drove one before I got my 06 WRX and loved it. The only problem was that I drive 90 miles to work and back, and the gas bill would kill me. BTW, thatís a bad @$$ ride.
    I got rid of my STi last Spring. I got the GTO because I wanted to go rear drive V8 for a while. I also love how comfortable it is. I just love to drive it and the longer the trip the better. It loves the highway.
    I'm also planning on eventually making around 500 rwhp or more. I just ordered a cam package for my GTO that should put me in the 420 - 440 rwhp range.

When I get tired of smoking tires and getting sideways, I'll probably go back to awd. But when it's raining I really miss my STi. My GTO is terrible in the rain. Otherwise my GTO is tons of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Integra96
    I see more tools driving Pontiac sedans than just about any other car. What is it with these guys?
    I concur.

Some of the biggest tool bags I have come across were driving GTP's, GT's, GrandAm ram airs, etc... all thinking their cars 12sec e.t. monsters. I used to love walking all over GTP's in my maxima because their pride always looked so hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by SGOSWRX
    GTPs can be quick.
    I talked to a guy at the track with his wifes (yes, wifes) GTP. He had some home made intake, pully, and something else on the car (very basic mods). He ran back to back
    13.8 @ 98 mph with a 1.9 sec 60' on stock rubber.

We actually lined up and raced. He was beating me at the 1/8 mile (I got a bad start), but I passed him soon after and ended up beating him 13.2 @ 108 mph to his 13.8 @ 98 mph. I would have been pissed if I got beat by a lightly modded GTP in my GTO.
    I will agree.. the GTP can be made fast with money. The thing I really hate about it though is how even ones that are only like 5 years old are going for like $8k now so there are tons of idiots that have them. When I was highschool there were like 5 kids with them and they all thought that since one guy on a forum had a factory freak and ran a 14.4 with the car stock that their car was capable of it too... I find that a large majority of your average GTP driver will claim their car is capable of mid 14's stock.
    Modded though they can be quite formitable. One guy I went to school with ran a 14.6 with just exhaust and intake. Than he went with a smaller pulley and some other mod and ran 14.2........... My old boss had one with header, exhaust, pulley, intake, tires and ran a 13.6 so they are def. capable of good times for little money but their top end is ass-backwards crappy and with all that torque they spin through their first two gears when modded (even though they are auto). For the money though, they are def. a good choice if you want a pretty quick car for cheap that is easy to mod.
    Last edited by DTR rex; 11-11-2005 at 02:30 PM.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

Registered User uncle lewie wrx's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96
    Cause they think they have an american muscle car, when it has a 6cylinder 3.8 litre with a supercharger smaller then anything. An the 3.8 litre engine is in like 8 GM cars.
    Also I would not want to own a GTP after 60,000 miles, everything just slowly falls apart, okay not slow fast.
    Thats my experience from working at a GM dealership.
    Uncle Lewie
    06 Aspen White STi w/ Gold BBS's

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.