06 WRX vs. 06 Civic Si - Page 4
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

This is a discussion on 06 WRX vs. 06 Civic Si within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by Integra96 And much more area under the torque and horsepower curves. It doesn't help to have an ...

Quote Originally Posted by Integra96
    And much more area under the torque and horsepower curves. It doesn't help to have an extra 500rpm if it's not making power anyway.
    My point was the 06 runs out of breath much more than the 02-05 does in the upper rpms and because of this + worse gearing it might not be as fast as a 02-05 stage 2 WRX from a roll.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwrxguy
    My point was the 06 runs out of breath much more than the 02-05 does in the upper rpms and because of this + worse gearing it might not be as fast as a 02-05 stage 2 WRX from a roll.
    How and why would it run out of breath more in the upper revs? I don't understand where you're getting this from. Yes, the redline is 500rpm lower, but the '02-'05 was just blowing hot air up there anyway due to the small turbo out of its efficiency range. Enter the 2.5L. It has the same turbo that doesn't do much above 6,000rpm (JUST like the 2.0L), but it has more torque and horsepower lower in the rev range and throughout the rev range (higher total AUC) as well as higher peak horsepower. If anything, a lower redline will make people shift at a more appropriate point to drop the revs into the power-making range - and without the cliff-dropoff of the '02-'05 4th gear, speed from a roll will still be better, despite the slightly taller final drive ratio.

Cliff Notes: The '06 WRX is faster in every way than the '02-'05 WRX. Dyno graphs have already shown this and 1/4 mile times will start to show up to further confirm it.
    "Did you sleep well?"
    "No, I made a couple of mistakes."
    -- Steven Wright

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwrxguy
    The above was for a stock '06. It still remains to be seen how the previous Stage 2's stack up - though they probably will trap at a higher speed than a stock '06 because of higher boost and timing improvements (general tuning benefits of AP).
    "Did you sleep well?"
    -- Steven Wright

I have also seen the stock dyno graphs for the 06 and there is no drastic loss of power to redline. The stock 06 makes 202-whp at 5800 rpm. The torque does seem to plummet as the RPMs raise.

stock 06 dyno

http://www.i-club.com/forums/attachm...chmentid=45084
    Last edited by Drod; 11-08-2005 at 07:08 PM.
    2006 WRX TR, Black
    2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee, SRT 8, Black
    2006 Corvette, Black
    1987 Buick Grand National Sold

Quote Originally Posted by Drod
    I have also seen the stock dyno graphs for the 06 and there is no drastic loss of power to redline. The stock 06 makes 202-whp at 5800 rpm. The torque does seem to plummet as the RPMs raise.
    +1

Every review of the 06 I've read says that it feels like it holds power throughout the RPM range much better than the 02-05's did, with the stage 2 you probably wont lose much of this. Plus with the taller gears to take full advantage of the broader power band I would think that from a roll would be where stage 2 06 would pull the hardest on a 02-05 stage 2 due to much higher torque & what is in reality better gearing, not worse (longer gears + more torque and broader powerband is not a bad thing). The only downside to the 06 compared to the 02-05 is that it wont make as much power compared to stock as the 02-05 did when modded on the stock turbo. Look at the Forester XT for proof of this, they only get about 230whp from stage 2 even though they started at about 200, the WRX gets to about the same HP at Stage 2, its just that its less tuned from the factory and so its a bigger jump in hp.
    Cobb Stage 2.5 VF-34 + uppipe
    Best ET so far - 13.1@103 with a 1.81 60'

If you look at the dynos for both stage 2 there is a dip in the 06 up top where the 02-05 holds almost flat power until redline.

My point about the turbo being to small is the 2.5l pushes more air into it that it can handle.

There is also a 100lb+ weight difference. But I guess we will not know until someone races one from a roll.

I have a strong running car so It would be intresting. I pulled 2+ cars on a 05 AP stage 2 WRX from a roll. And put 6 or more car lengths on a Forester XT with uppipe from a roll. I also beat a lightly modded SRT-4 by 2 cars from a roll three times in a row.

Quote Originally Posted by 04wrx4keeps
    It is a concept (it even says "SEMA concept" at the bottom of the first pic), but if you noticed he said 550awhp, as in its AWD, so I doubt if a rolling race would be its only strong point.

Yea thats a sweet VW YZFWV, but we were talking about production cars here... Why would you even throw a concept in ? Can you go 5 minutes on this forum without trying to tell us all how much better VW's are the WRX's I mean I could say "yea but they should have put the new Z06 in that test and it would have crushed them both", but then that would just be dumb and add nothing to the conversation, at least the Vette is a production car though....

hmm...then they should have tested the gti. or the a3 with sport package. 197whp/207ft/lbs tq....at the wheels....and it handles....

yep...last time I checked, they're production cars...
    Why do I have to slow down for the WRX? Just because everyone says it's faster doesn't mean I Have to let it win, does it?

Quote Originally Posted by 04wrx4keeps
    +1

Every review of the 06 I've read says that it feels like it holds power throughout the RPM range much better than the 02-05's did, with the stage 2 you probably wont lose much of this. Plus with the taller gears to take full advantage of the broader power band I would think that from a roll would be where stage 2 06 would pull the hardest on a 02-05 stage 2 due to much higher torque & what is in reality better gearing, not worse (longer gears + more torque and broader powerband is not a bad thing). The only downside to the 06 compared to the 02-05 is that it wont make as much power compared to stock as the 02-05 did when modded on the stock turbo. Look at the Forester XT for proof of this, they only get about 230whp from stage 2 even though they started at about 200, the WRX gets to about the same HP at Stage 2, its just that its less tuned from the factory and so its a bigger jump in hp.
    Yes, I am aware that the turbo is too small and not strong enough to flow sufficient air to the 2.5. I am going to get the Cobb Stage 2 and then a bigger turbo and intercooler. I am considering a 20g, and the new Cobb intercooler.
    Last edited by Drod; 11-08-2005 at 07:48 PM.
    2006 WRX TR, Black
    2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee, SRT 8, Black
    2006 Corvette, Black
    1987 Buick Grand National Sold

Quote Originally Posted by YZFWV
    too bad they didn't compare the Jetta r gt

it's only a 550awhp vr6-t
    i will lay money down that i will never see one of these on the road. and most people could not afford it . as a matter of fact most people can not afford an esx subie either

Quote Originally Posted by sonicrx
    i will lay money down that i will never see one of these on the road. and most people could not afford it . as a matter of fact most people can not afford an esx subie either
    A turbo kit for the R32 is like $5k-$7 and puts out about 350whp....not far off from that....

VW's building and golf r36 and a jetta r36....so I'm thinking 400whp out of a basic turbo kit if they're pushing 300hp stock.
    Why do I have to slow down for the WRX? Just because everyone says it's faster doesn't mean I Have to let it win, does it?

Quote Originally Posted by YZFWV
    A turbo kit for the R32 is like $5k-$7 and puts out about 350whp....not far off from that....

VW's building and golf r36 and a jetta r36....so I'm thinking 400whp out of a basic turbo kit if they're pushing 300hp stock.
    but, it's still going to be a pig.

Quote Originally Posted by TacticalNuke
    If one more moron chimes in to say that Civic Si's suck because they get riced a lot, I'm going to blow a gasket.

A lot of ricers drive Hondas. That doesn't mean all Hondas are rice.

Someone could just as easily show the picture of that purple WRX, complete with hat bill exhaust top, and say that WRXs look like that with basic bolt ons. Next time you're thinking of opening your mouth, just remember: We all know you can make yourself sound like an idiot; stop trying to prove it.
    Agreed.

I am so sick of people hating on the RSX-S and Civic Si because they are "Honda". You guys need the STFU and stop b!tching about it. You all damn well know that the civic si is a good car for the money and there are people in this very thread who were saying how good of a car it looks to be and its a huge step forward for Honda... BUT, now that it has been compared to the wrx and placed better... all the sudden the Si sucks and Honda sucks, any affiliated with Honda sucks. GROW THE HELL UP!

On another note, I am quite impressed with the Si. It is said to be a great handler, great braker, and the interior surpasses even the praised RSX-S's interior as far as fit and finish goes. I cannot wait to drive one personally, and if I were looking for a car in the $20k range, I would undoubtably consider the Si as one of my main choices. Sure, for an extra $3,000 you can get a wrx, but $3,000 is $3,000 and the while the wrx has a lot of offer it does not hold the world over the Si like many of you are trying to establish.
    $22,000, touch screen navi, great suspension, great brakes, great interior, smooth 6spd manual, 200hp PROVEN to perform engine, decent modability, etc....
    It might not be the best car out there, but for God sakes, the car the credit it is due

Quote Originally Posted by Integra96
    Add some halfway decent tires to the Impreza, and it'll be whacking the Si in the road course test.
    I would love to see you back that up. I have driven two 06 wrx's. one on stock 215's and another on 225 high performance all seasons and the difference was not that great. I find it hard to believe that a better track performing Si would get "whacked" (as you say) by a wrx that gets a simple tire change out.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex
    I have driven two 06 wrx's. one on stock 215's and another on 225 high performance all seasons and the difference was not that great.
    Good data.
    "Did you sleep well?"
    -- Steven Wright

honda si i will walk trade in your rex,and you drive the car .if it is so great.still tainted i would by a toyota .hell i would buy a yugo before a honda so take a step back and grow up yourself

Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex
    I have driven two 06 wrx's. one on stock 215's and another on 225 high performance all seasons and the difference was not that great.
    you must not have really been pushing the limits then. We ALL know the RE92s are horrible. With some good tires, the WRX would do WAY better on a road course.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.