06 WRX vs. 06 Civic Si - Page 10
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

This is a discussion on 06 WRX vs. 06 Civic Si within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; you guys are going way overboard on this: the Si is FWD and you'll probably walk out the door with ...

you guys are going way overboard on this: the Si is FWD and you'll probably walk out the door with one for $21K.

that's SRT-4 and Cobalt SS territory. In fact, it still undercuts the WRX by up to $6K depending on where you buy one.

in other words, for an extremely low price, you get a slick shifting 6speed, an 8000rpm redline, 200hp, a limited slip, a sweet interior, precise steering, and one of the best handling FWD cars out there short of a Mini. Not to mention good dependability.

If I couldn't afford a WRX i think the only obvious choice out there is the Civic Si considering its domestic competition.
    embattled, we prevail...only victory exhaled.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    It is true....you get what you pay for. I'm just not a fan at all of FWD. Owned one of them in my life, and I just hated the inability to get off the line quickly.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by YBNormal07
    It is true....you get what you pay for. I'm just not a fan at all of FWD. Owned one of them in my life, and I just hated the inability to get off the line quickly.
    +1 to that. I don't like the way FWD feels when I'm trying to put the hammer down coming out of a corner, either.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

+2 to that I don't like how FWD feels most of the time. Not saying the Si is a bad car just not for me. Plus in bad conditions all that a 200 hp FWD car gets you over a 120 hp FWD car is 80 more wasted hp. I think I am gonna stick with the AWD as long as I am in the snowy north and maybe go with RWD if I head south.
    New England F4

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisCJ99 View Post
    205 whp on a STOCK wrx??? I find that to be a bit hard to believe. My 2006 WRX ran 188 whp with Injen CAI, HKS BOV, HKS Downpipe and HKS carbon ti exhaust... How can a STOCK WRX run 205 whp??? I'd like to see dyno sheets to back that one up...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX
    +1 to that. I don't like the way FWD feels when I'm trying to put the hammer down coming out of a corner, either.
    +1, not a good feeling at all. Even in the "good handling" FWD cars.
    "Did you sleep well?"
    "No, I made a couple of mistakes."
    -- Steven Wright

schoolloans
    [QUOTE=jtsimaras]Honda Si: 98.5 HP/L, 69.5 Tq/L, 14.6 lbs/HP

05 WRX: 113.5 HP/L, 108.5 Tq/L, 13.8 lbs/HP

Ferrari Modena: 111.1 HP/L, 76.4 TQ/L, 7.66 lbs/HP

05 STi: 120 HP/L, 120TQ/L, 10.9 lbs/HP

[\QUOTE]

You can't compare crank HP either. We loose 10-15% MORE power b/c of our AWD. Thats enough to bump the Civic past us in power to weight. Which is why, on a roll, our subies don't fair so well. A 2wd car with equal crank HP is going to walk a AWD car with the same crank HP. HP/weight doesn't really mean much. I'll go one step further and say WHP/weight is a much better measurement.

a real race is from a stop anyway......if they can't catch you from a stop you win...thats why i don't race SRT's from a roll.....its just not fair.
    Driving a WRX is like having a big d*ck; it's not immediately obvious to everyone, but you have to just rest assured that when it comes time to put it to use, you won't need to explain a whole lot afterwards!!

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...07/devilZ1.jpg

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Pele0107
    thats why i don't race SRT's from a roll.....its just not fair.
    I'm sure the SRT guys think of it differently.
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

thats there problem
    Driving a WRX is like having a big d*ck; it's not immediately obvious to everyone, but you have to just rest assured that when it comes time to put it to use, you won't need to explain a whole lot afterwards!!

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...07/devilZ1.jpg

[QUOTE=schoolloans]
    Quote Originally Posted by jtsimaras
    Honda Si: 98.5 HP/L, 69.5 Tq/L, 14.6 lbs/HP

[\QUOTE]

You can't compare crank HP either. We loose 10-15% MORE power b/c of our AWD. Thats enough to bump the Civic past us in power to weight. Which is why, on a roll, our subies don't fair so well. A 2wd car with equal crank HP is going to walk a AWD car with the same crank HP. HP/weight doesn't really mean much. I'll go one step further and say WHP/weight is a much better measurement.
    exactly!

I Support ClubWRX
    [quote=schoolloans]
    Quote Originally Posted by jtsimaras
    Honda Si: 98.5 HP/L, 69.5 Tq/L, 14.6 lbs/HP

[\QUOTE]

I'd be interested in seeing where you arrive at that figure. Do you have stock dyno's of the Si? The impreza platform does not loose 10-15% MORE hp to the wheels than a FWD platform. As someone who has spent some serious time on a dyno with multiple platforms, I know for a fact that statement is incorrect. Depending on conditions (temp., humidity, barometric pressure, tire choice, etc.) our AWDs loose about 19-22%. You cant seriously be saying the honda only loses 9 to 12% to the wheels, or using the 15%, 4 to 7%. Lets get real here.

If your point is that the AWD loosed more to the wheels, then of course, that is a given. Lets say that we give the honda a 15% loss and the WRX and 21% loss. It would put the P/W ratio differential at about 0.4 in favor of the Honda. However, the torque differential is still a whopping 24 lbs for the Honda to lug around per HP vs the 17 of the WRX. Your statement about a 2wd walking an AWD of equal HP is incorrect also. This is true if the weight factor is not taken into account. If the AWD weighs less, that statement goes out the window.

All that being said, I never thought I'd have to challenge an Si against a WRX on paper, but that day is here. The Si is a pretty good package. Like I said though...it's FWD. For that, I give it a
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Integra96
    +1, not a good feeling at all. Even in the "good handling" FWD cars.
    eh, with all due respect, i think your opinion and everyone who supports it is a little opinionated and biased.

keep in mind that 200hp w/ limited slip isn't exactly gonna tug the wheel in your hands. FWD has its power limitations, yes, but the Si isn't close to it.

the prelude, integra, rsx, si, and accord are all very good handling FWD cars with some nice steering feel. they're no WRX when it comes to the corners, but they're very fun on twisty roads and you guys aren't giving them enough credit at all.

i had a WRX for 60K miles and loved the AWD, wish I still had it. but if you total your WRX's one day, or lose it for any reason, i think you'd start thinking a lot more positive about the Si as a cheaper replacement while you're down on cash.

unless you want a V6 Mustang for the same price.
    embattled, we prevail...only victory exhaled.

I Support ClubWRX
    My opinion is opinionated and biased? I think you're on to something.
    "Did you sleep well?"
    "No, I made a couple of mistakes."
    -- Steven Wright

I Support ClubWRX
    How dare you have an opinion about a car that you've owned!!

Wobbly Torque Feeling?
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited