What to buy: Sti or just a WRX?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on What to buy: Sti or just a WRX? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey guys... Im brand new to this forum and Id like to talk to those who know more about the ...

What to buy: Sti or just a WRX?

Hey guys... Im brand new to this forum and Id like to talk to those who know more about the Sti and WRX Impreza. Would it benefit me to buy an Sti over a regular WRX? My main question is whether or not I can take the $$ I save on a reg. WRX and mod it up to be faster than an Sti? Im in he market for a new vehicle. I currently own a 94 Integra GSR (JR Supercharged) Its capable of mid 13s.... I did, for about 9 months, own a 93 Eagle Talon Tsi and threw a 6-bolt in there with a redone tranny. I loved the AWD/Turbo but had lots of reliablitlty issues.... Anyway, let me know what I should be driving WRX or Sti and why!?!

Thanks for any help I can get from you Subaru nuts!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Yes, you can make it faster for less. However, STi buys you 300hp, a bulletproof transmission, better brakes etc... and all with a factory warranty.

STi. For sure. The cost difference between the two is worth it just for the tranny. Plus you get the brakes, 300hp, and an extra .5 liter of displacement. And all the other little goodies.

Some guy was trying to tell me that a WRX would save me a bunch of loot and id be able to get it into high 12s wihout any problems. But thanks for your input. I will lean towards the Sti. Whats the first few mods most Sti guys do?

Just so you know that stock tranny probably wont hold up well at all. Most people that plan on modding WRX's to the point of turbo upgrades they plan on a new tranny or at least a gearset.

Thank You

Thanks. I appreciate your help. I will definitely keep the tranny in mind. I went through 2 trannies on my GS-R and I know how important it is. Thanks again.

I Support ClubWRX
    Just a WRX? Nothing wrong with a WRX.

Welcome to the club!
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Sorry. Dont know how to diffrentiate from Sti and plain WRX...

Quote Originally Posted by IHRTWRX
    STi. For sure. The cost difference between the two is worth it just for the tranny. Plus you get the brakes, 300hp, and an extra .5 liter of displacement. And all the other little goodies.
    06 WRX has that extra .5 as well

I would make my decision on what i could get the cars for. I got a email from subaru about the new 06 WRX TR (Tuner ready?) They had a MSRP on it for 23,995 or something. So im sure you could get the car out the door taxed and licensed for that price with a little haggling versus the STI with at least 32k out the door.

I agree with what everyone is saying but didnt the new WRX get better brakes and Tranny? i know its not as good as the STI's but still.
    02 PSM WRX Cobb Stage 2.5 - SOLD
    05 Stone White SRT4 (CC, 58% Maddog, Gutted DP) SOLD
    2002 Toyota 4runner SR5 4WD - SOLD
    04 BMW 325i
    08 Spark Silver STI - Stage 2 Protuned

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by WRX23
    Sorry. Dont know how to diffrentiate from Sti and plain WRX...
    No need to be sorry. Get whatever you can comfortably afford.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Any STi Owners got any reliablility issues?

Well.. It sounds like the Sti really does come with good mods already stuffed into it. How does everyone like the reliability of the Sti? Any problems so far?

Quote Originally Posted by WRX23
    Hey guys... Im brand new to this forum and Id like to talk to those who know more about the Sti and WRX Impreza. Would it benefit me to buy an Sti over a regular WRX? My main question is whether or not I can take the $$ I save on a reg. WRX and mod it up to be faster than an Sti? Im in he market for a new vehicle. I currently own a 94 Integra GSR (JR Supercharged) Its capable of mid 13s.... I did, for about 9 months, own a 93 Eagle Talon Tsi and threw a 6-bolt in there with a redone tranny. I loved the AWD/Turbo but had lots of reliablitlty issues.... Anyway, let me know what I should be driving WRX or Sti and why!?!

Thanks for any help I can get from you Subaru nuts!
    If you get the 02-05 WRX:

A turbo-back exhaust, uppipe, and a ECUtek reflash makes you head to head with an STi.

you can spend less than 2 grand and make it smoke an STi. Even less than that if you get used parts.

You pay less for insurance.

You don't get the boy racer blue interior and the park bench wing.

-----------------------

If you get the 06 WRX:

A turbo-back exhaust and ECUtek reflash will make your WRX smoke a stock STi.

You pay less for insurance.

You don't get the boy racer blue interior and the park bench wing.
    Last edited by wrxaddicted; 11-05-2005 at 06:36 PM.

Will the WRX tranny hold up, though?!

Wow. Thats good info. But the tranny in a WRX would not be able to take all that punishment; would it?! I'd do the normal break in if it was a new vehicle but I really dont want to have a sick-fast WRX for a few months and then have to get a tranny replacement....

I say get the STi. You get the strong transmission, 6 speed transmission, and the DCCD, better brakes better, better suspension and even better wheels and tires.

Even if you do the turboback, ecutek ect as state above your still missing bigger brakes, suspension, and DCCD, and wheels and tires. To make it as fast as and STi in both a straiht line and in the twisites would end up costing as much as an STi
    Last edited by cavallino333; 11-05-2005 at 06:53 PM.
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

STi's are better built. If you can afford one, get it over the STi. The only downside is the ugly blue interior and huge wing imo.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast