What to buy: Sti or just a WRX? - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on What to buy: Sti or just a WRX? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Thanks guys. You've helped me out tremendously. Much appreciated and I'll be back......

Thanks guys. You've helped me out tremendously. Much appreciated and I'll be back...

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by wrxaddicted
    If you get the 02-05 WRX:

A turbo-back exhaust, uppipe, and a ECUtek reflash makes you head to head with an STi.

you can spend less than 2 grand and make it smoke an STi. Even less than that if you get used parts.
    Right, less than 2 grand because we all know ECUTek doesn't need to be tuned, the TBE & uppipe can be bought dirt cheap from your best friend's cousin's mom that knows a guy...It's unlikely this guy has those connections to get uber cheap used mods and free tuning. He might not be able to do his own work either. Sorry, I don't mean to attack you, but it's always the same crap when this question is asked...

If you get the 02-05 WRX:
    You pay less for insurance.
    Until you crash and the insurance company finds out you broke your agreement by modding your car and not telling them. At best you might get some money back for your mods and at the worst they don't pay you for you car.

You don't get the boy racer blue interior and the park bench wing.
    Yeah, who needs downforce/antilift (wing generates 50lbs-60lbs @ near 100mph according to Subaru).

If you get the 06 WRX:

A turbo-back exhaust and ECUtek reflash will make your WRX smoke a stock STi.
    I doubt it would "smoke" a stock STi. Lets see what kind of performance people are getting first before claiming that.

The STi is the better starting point for building a well rounded performance car. Sure, if you change enough parts in the WRX it will equal or better a stock STi. But there's the catch - a stock STi. Whatever you can do to the WRX you can do to the STi.

If you want a drag car, get something other than a WRX or STi.

If you want a more well rounded performance car get the WRX or STi and decide how much you are willing to invest and what your performance goals are. If you are handy with tools, have a buddy with a garage, and want to save some cash, the 06 WRX is probably a good bet. If you want a better starting point and you don't want to **** around installing a big brake kit, bigger turbo, springs/struts, wiring, supporting mods (injectors, bigger intercooler, fuel pump etc), possibly lots of tuning, tranny/rear-end replacement, better tires, etc, then the STi is the way to go.

A stage 2 STi (~1600) has the potential to run 12.6-12.8 @ 107-108 in the 1/4 (see IWSTI.com for slips.) With StreetTuner out for Cobb's AccessPort, some Protuned/StreetTuner tuned STi's are hitting 12.5-12.6 @ 108 very consistently on the stock turbo.

There is nothing wrong with going the WRX route, just be prepared for the work involved and potential pitfalls. Just because someone says it is easy to convert a WRX to a STi for cheap doesn't mean it will be easy (or cheap) for you. Do what is best for you and in your budget and expertise. Either car will be kickass.
    2005 Aspen White STi

the sti over the wrx. If i could have 3 years ago I would have. The gearing and powerplant are loads better. Not to mention brakes, hids and everything else. It's a great car in stock form and probably the most exciting/fun car I have ever driven.

Quote Originally Posted by skyjock41
    06 WRX has that extra .5 as well

I would make my decision on what i could get the cars for. I got a email from subaru about the new 06 WRX TR (Tuner ready?) They had a MSRP on it for 23,995 or something. So im sure you could get the car out the door taxed and licensed for that price with a little haggling versus the STI with at least 32k out the door.

I agree with what everyone is saying but didnt the new WRX get better brakes and Tranny? i know its not as good as the STI's but still.
    You beat me to the .5 litre thing NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO . Yeah the invoice on the TR is like 22k and some change so I would say that you could definately get one out the door for somewhere in the 23k range if not the 22k range.
    You might be a king or a little street sweeper but sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

There is more to an STi than just the engine improvements compared to a wrx. We can talk about suspension, brakes, and the whole tranny thing has already been discussed. If you want a 1/4 car, get an 03-04 cobra (for about the same price as a new wrx), drop $1,500 into it and have a great 1/4 car. For a couple grand you can get a wrx to keep up with an STi (in a straight line), but then you have to throw more work and money for the suspension set up to handle like an sti. In addition, if you plan on doing more than just 1/4, such as road courses, auto-x and such, the brakes and brake fade become a factor too (well, not so much in auto-xing). I have owned an 02 wrx and currently own a sti, and there is no comparison between the two. Although, I am a wrx fan, I ove my Sti.

Quote Originally Posted by Lit Fuse
    There is more to an STi than just the engine improvements compared to a wrx. We can talk about suspension, brakes, and the whole tranny thing has already been discussed. If you want a 1/4 car, get an 03-04 cobra (for about the same price as a new wrx), drop $1,500 into it and have a great 1/4 car. For a couple grand you can get a wrx to keep up with an STi (in a straight line), but then you have to throw more work and money for the suspension set up to handle like an sti. In addition, if you plan on doing more than just 1/4, such as road courses, auto-x and such, the brakes and brake fade become a factor too (well, not so much in auto-xing). I have owned an 02 wrx and currently own a sti, and there is no comparison between the two. Although, I am a wrx fan, I ove my Sti.
    Well put. That is the exact reason I dumped my 02 WRX for an EVO. It just wasnt worth the extra money, effort and down time. EVO is just more my taste than STi, but both amazing cars, and just in a whole 'nother league than the WRX's

Gasmilage may be something to consider also. Although if you can afford a new STi, buying gas shouldn't be much of a factor.

The 06 wrx tranny is pretty new and is an unknown as far as reliability goes thus far. If it's the same as the legacy it's held up to some pretty good abuse thus far.

If I was going to build a drag car and I had to choose between the 06 wrx and STi I would choose the wrx, I've been in 6MT land on the dragstrip and hope to never be in it again.

Track car & Daily driver, you'll love the sti. I can't comment on the 06 wrx though.

06 STI all the way! (unless you are thinking of an EVO...)

as for a WRX... pass on that and get a used STi (or EVO)

unless your budget is much lower...

if the WRX wasnt the best car available at the time, i wouldn't have bought it. of course i'd drop a few thousand more to get a better car! keep this in mind, just to swap in that tranny, you'd have to spend about $5000... and those brakes are like $3000... those wheels and tires are easily $2000... suspension would be over $1000... quick steering rack about $1000... seats $1000... engine $5000... HID's $500...

as you can see all those additions really add up. if you are perfectly happy with what a WRX and a few mods will give you, then get that... or get an STi and leave it stock cuz its got all that and more.
    Yes, that is me in my avatar! Kid's don't try this at home.
    CLICKY to view My Extensive Mod List!

i couldnt buy an STi when i bought my WRX cuz no one had 05 STi's at the time. i will trade mine in about a year and half for an STi

the market has caught up; as far as performance goes, the WRX is overrated; no top end at all, the brakes are teh weak, lots of body roll, crappy tires, and there's always that finicky transmission, which gives you problems even if it doesn't shred. if you don't get a good launch, you'll easily see low 15's/high 14's at the track.

i had Stoptech's Big Brake Kit up front, Stoptech rotors and EBC's in the rear, UTEC, TBE, and 17" SSR's (none of those are cheap). Paid just as much money as a stock STi and still don't get STi performance or the 6-speed's durability. and what if i crashed my car? think i'm getting those mods back?

i've learned my lesson; next time, STi.
    embattled, we prevail...only victory exhaled.

eh I know the WRX is kind of overated performance wise, but for the price I think its a pretty good car.
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.