350z, g35 - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on 350z, g35 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by DJSHADOW7 My car is stock, and i am having pleanty of fun. One of my good friends ...

Quote Originally Posted by DJSHADOW7
    My car is stock, and i am having pleanty of fun.

One of my good friends has a Z, and having driven that, a stock wrx (mine) and a stage 2 (toofast88) i have to say its pretty close between the Z and the stage 2. As in any race its the driver that matters most. I know that in the Z i did not feel as safe and secure as in the rex.
    +1....i drove the same Z (has bigger plenum and popcharger..both of which I installed)...when I went wot in the Z it pulled very hard but i didnt feel as much of a sense of control as i do in my car. plus the stock tires break everytime you give it enough gas and the clutch is very very light...wouldnt trade my car for a Z anyday
    COBBS!.....We got COBBS everywhere meng! COBBS, COBBS, COBBS!
    Blobeye Syndicate #2
    RYB - 01
    "RALLY ON"

Quote Originally Posted by StreetSlider
    Hellen Keller's favorite color is Blobeye Syndicate.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by DJSHADOW7
    My car is stock, and i am having pleanty of fun.

One of my good friends has a Z, and having driven that, a stock wrx (mine) and a stage 2 (toofast88) i have to say its pretty close between the Z and the stage 2. As in any race its the driver that matters most. I know that in the Z i did not feel as safe and secure as in the rex.

well, in my case, I am comparing driving a stock Z and a stock wrx. the wrx is fun to drive, but by no means compares in power.

Quote Originally Posted by felo3769
    well, in my case, I am comparing driving a stock Z and a stock wrx. the wrx is fun to drive, but by no means compares in power.

Doesn't compare in price either...=P
    '02 WRB WRX wingless
    Its stock...I swear....and its N/A too
    ...thats not turbo spool you hear thats a vaccuum leak!

Definitely agree its overrated, in stock form at least. I mean, for 26k-30k, a Z is a great car to buy if you are in the market for a 2 seater. But I think people that buy the Z think they have a really fast car and its not that quick. I can speak from experience because I had a Z. I was somewhat disappointed after awhile, but for the price, it is not bad buy. If the Z was a better performer stock, it would probably cost alot more and nissan wouldnt sell as much. I kinda do miss the Z sometimes though because my wrx is still stock and as im sure you all know, a stock wrx is not that fun.
    I know exactly what you mean.

I own an '05 350Z and there is a few things that need to be corrected from above. First off, the Track/35th anniversary model Z (and all models in the '06 model year) and G35 have 300hp/260tq. The rest of the trim levels have 287hp/274tq. Several magazines have done write ups and it's been confirmed that while the 300hp engine is better suited to the track, the 287hp engine is quicker in the qtr and to 60mph.

My friend Melissa has a g35 coupe, and it's quick - but my 350Z pulls away from her. Her's is auto, mine is stick, so it's not really a fair comparo I suppose. I've test driven the 6MT g35 coupe though, and I have to admit it felt pretty much the same as my Z, the interior fit and finish was nicer, and it was a little quieter inside.

All that out of the way, I love my Z. For what it is, it handles nice, and has enough power to be fun, but not enough to get in trouble without trying. Mileage varies between 23-29mpg depending on how I feel like driving it. I like the way it looks, and drives. I bought it because I wanted something impractical and fun - mission accomplished.

The Z however will remain stock because the last N/A car I changed to F/I went boom. I purchased a 7yr/70k warranty just so that I would be forced to not touch the car for a while. Didn't want to drive the Z in the snow though, so I bought the WRX last month with the plans of keeping it stock, that lasted just about 2 weeks when I decided to upgrade the brakes first.

The WRX.... heheheh - just flashed to stage one wednesday or thursday morning. Car feels much smoother. My attainable goal is at least Stage 2, if not 2.5 or possibly a protune with a PE1820, though I suspect if I go that far I'll be looking at some drivetrain mods as well, likely an RA gearset, if not a full JDM STI swap (engine/tranny) at the nutty side of things.

The WRX is a blast to drive, the mileage is about the same as the Z, maybe a little less. The AWD is very enjoyable to work with. The car responds much better to mods from both a timeerformance ratio as well as a dollarerformance ratio. The Z is nice to look at, and it has probably factored into getting me laid more than a few times, but I really do love driving the WRX. Which is good, because it helps me keep the miles low on the Z.
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

well, in my case, I am comparing driving a stock Z and a stock wrx. The wrx is fun to drive, but by no means compares in power.
    The Z has plenty of torque all over and a close ratio six speed, making it a very easy and forgiving car to drive. Both cars are pretty heavy tipping the scales at a decent amount over 3000lbs. Z's dyno 287 at the crank, and roughly 230rwhp. Bear in mind that's with the stock carbon fiber driveshaft also. That's a drivetrain loss of roughly 20%. The WRX is 227 at the crank, and from what I have seen about 160awhp, roughly a 30% drivetrain loss. The ability of AWD to transfer usable power to the pavement however has led me to liking the WRX more than the Z.

stock WRX $24,495
    stock 350Z $27,450

A difference of $3,045. Spend that money wisely (brakes, Cobb AP, Cobb TBE, Perrin Uppipe & Hoses, WBO2, gauges) flash to stage II and you should be pretty happy. This is all just theory at the moment though as I'm still upgrading. My day starts out with me debating which I want to drive, most of the time, I choose the Subaru.
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12