260 whp WRX Vs 305 whp STI...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 260 whp WRX Vs 305 whp STI... within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Okay.. I am puzzeld. My buddy has a wrx with a Vf30 Turbo , Ecutek and a 3" Tbe pushing ...

260 whp WRX Vs 305 whp STI...

Okay.. I am puzzeld. My buddy has a wrx with a Vf30 Turbo , Ecutek and a 3" Tbe pushing 18 psi.
    I have a Sti with Headers(coated and wrapped) , Tbe , and Ecutek .18.5 psi
    Both cars dynod on the same dyno His 260 whp mine 300 ish (low) whp

we did a few runs tonight and I expected to smoke him (40 whp ) is alot! But I dunno if the races were fair we did 4 runs with this 1 passenger that weighs 260 Lbs. 1st 2 he was in my car we did 1 race from 1st through 5th and he pulled me 2 cars I let off . 2cnd race with fat boy in my car we went from 2cnd gear and I kept up and fell back(1 car) shifting into 5th he took me I let off.

THAN - we got the fat boy in his car and I pulled him both runs about 1 1/2-2 cars max.

I guess we need to race alone next time but shouldn't I have smoked him? I shift at redline btw..
    so my question is this any wrx guys race a 300 whp Sti ? If so how did u do?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I think

The problem is that I shift at redline I should shift at 6k I wonder if that would help?

i think it was the at guy who messed up the race
    10" Nike
    Mods- Gel Pad, Shoe Cleaner
    Scooby Dooby Doo

hmm

Even with the 260 lbs passenger I expected to pull him with whp more? Is the Vf30 a better Turbo that my stock Vf39?

first off, remember the STi weights 200+ lbs more than the WRX... your gearing is shorter but you have to shift more often... and yes as you saw extra weight (passengers) do make a differernce. finally, the VF30 has a better top end than the VF39 which explains how he pulled more up to... only thing going agaisnt that is the crappy gearing in 4th that stock WRX transmissions have.
    bryan

-2003 Blue WRX, complete 2007 STi Engine/Drivetrain transplant - Pic 1 | Pic 2 | Pic 3 | Pic 4 (new!)
    -1994 Black Supra TT 6MT - Pic | Build/Restoration Thread: 67mm, Fuel, Painted Engine Bay, Fuse Box Relocation, Wire Tuck, etc.

www.TriStateTuners.com

nice...

so this makes sence?
    I will have a run with him with no passengers..
    I think I'll pull 1 -2 cars

Maybe it's the headers? Maybe I should get rid of them?
    Last edited by zigger; 11-02-2005 at 10:01 PM.

so?

Tonight we are going again but this time with no passengers. I think I need to shift at 6k instead of redline.
    I might video tape it..

I just thaught that my 300 whp Sti would rape is 260 whp wrx

I Support ClubWRX
    There is always more to the story than peak HP numbers.

like ?

Can u explain... same exaxt dyuno my car dynod 35 who more?
    Maybe the Vf30 is a better turbo?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by zigger
    Can u explain... same exaxt dyuno my car dynod 35 who more?
    Maybe the Vf30 is a better turbo?
    The VF30 pulls longer than the VF39. The WRX has longer gears, and is lighter that the STI. You have to shift more. Your power dies off at 6k, his car pulls hard up to 7200. No offense, but he may also be a slightly better driver.

I'm not downing the STI. It is a superior car, but a WRX can be faster in the straights.

Edit: If you want to slaughter him, get an 18g, or a 20g.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrinkleboi
    first off, remember the STi weights 200+ lbs more than the WRX... your gearing is shorter but you have to shift more often... and yes as you saw extra weight (passengers) do make a differernce. finally, the VF30 has a better top end than the VF39 which explains how he pulled more up to... only thing going agaisnt that is the crappy gearing in 4th that stock WRX transmissions have.
    bryan

I ran a lightly modded G35 from a 60 mph roll, He jumped out on me almost a car right off the bat. I shifted in to 4th at just before redline (right about 105 mph) and in 4th I pulled passed him, So my 4th gear isnt to bad to do that. I have a stock tranny I assume, I did buy my car used.
    2003 Platinum Silver Metalic Sedan
    VF-34 Powered
    My Mods
    Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian
    Even if your car was stock, your chances of warranty coverage are about as good as a retarded chimp trying to do a calculus problem while high on pcp.

That is hilarious that you used a fat dude as ballast...
    Did you bring him along for the sole purpose of evening the odds?

You guys are also forgetting is the VF39 is to small for the 2.5L engine it has no top end with a VF turbo. But a VF turbo is a good match for a 2.0L engine.

Your STI might have good mid range but his top end is probably where he's beating you. Also you should do better against him once he puts it in 4th at around 90mph. 4th is a bad gear in a WRX.

Quote Originally Posted by bigwrxguy
    You guys are also forgetting is the VF39 is to small for the 2.5L engine it has no top end with a VF turbo. But a VF turbo is a good match for a 2.0L engine.

Your STI might have good mid range but his top end is probably where he's beating you. Also you should do better against him once he puts it in 4th at around 90mph. 4th is a bad gear in a WRX.
    Again I will say i assume I am stock but I pull like a mofo in 4th, And my third gear reds out at about 98-105 mph. it differs a bit with warmer and cooler temps down here in FL.
    My friend with his 04 SRT-4 stage 2 with Toys package doesn't pull away from me till i shift 5th but at that point we are in the 130 range so we normally shutdown. I have never driven anyone elses WRX the way I do mine so I never noticed any differences in 4th gear.
    2003 Platinum Silver Metalic Sedan
    VF-34 Powered
    My Mods
    Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian
    Even if your car was stock, your chances of warranty coverage are about as good as a retarded chimp trying to do a calculus problem while high on pcp.

Quote Originally Posted by enash99
    Again I will say i assume I am stock but I pull like a mofo in 4th, And my third gear reds out at about 98-105 mph. it differs a bit with warmer and cooler temps down here in FL.
    My friend with his 04 SRT-4 stage 2 with Toys package doesn't pull away from me till i shift 5th but at that point we are in the 130 range so we normally shutdown. I have never driven anyone elses WRX the way I do mine so I never noticed any differences in 4th gear.
    I have noticed a big difference in 4th with AP stage 2, I pull on some cars in 3rd but only hang with them in 4th.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast