709 hp - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on 709 hp within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by AngelBoy i don't know why people drool over these cars . some filthy rich company wants to ...

Quote Originally Posted by AngelBoy
    i don't know why people drool over these cars.

some filthy rich company wants to make money off our asses so they build a one-off special so all the ricers can buy their parts with confidence. Ali Afshar is another example; he's a businessman in the car business, there are much better car guys to appreciate.

i'm more impressed with a guy that bags groceries for a living, saves every penny he has, and still manages to come up with a clean, respectably modded WRX.
    0-60 in 2.5 secs and a top speed of 200+

Why would you be impressed with a guy that bags groceries for the rest of his life? I know I wouldn't, I will be more impressed with a guy that owns a big company.
    Last edited by scotts05; 12-02-2005 at 05:36 AM.
    2005 Ubaru Impreza WRX Sedan Crystal Grey Metallic
    Mods: In my profile
    http://www.myspace.com/scottycruz

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

[QUOTE=scotts05]

Why would you be impressed with a guy that bags groceries for the rest of his life? QUOTE]

if someone doesn't have much money, and still lives frugaly just to be able to mod, that's a car enthusiast i can appreciate.

to build a car like the one we're talking about requires a ****load of money, and not much else. you're telling me the company built that car because they love cars? they built that car to get their name out there and make money.

"SPARCO EVO"
    "ESX STI"

sound familiar? i don't like when companies slap their names on a car they never designed, and give it 800hp because that's supposed to give them some sort of credibility.
    embattled, we prevail...only victory exhaled.

Quote Originally Posted by le wagon
    omg.. 0-60 in 2.5 secondss
    aaahmazing
    Thats decent
    Hard work pays off in the long run but procrastination pays off now.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #015
    2006 WRB WRX Wagon - stock
    1991 Dark Emerald Green Mustang LX 5.0

if someone doesn't have much money, and still lives frugaly just to be able to mod, that's a car enthusiast i can appreciate.

to build a car like the one we're talking about requires a ****load of money, and not much else. you're telling me the company built that car because they love cars? they built that car to get their name out there and make money.

"SPARCO EVO"
    "ESX STI"

sound familiar? i don't like when companies slap their names on a car they never designed, and give it 800hp because that's supposed to give them some sort of credibility.

Building a 800hp four cylinder car without just spraying the crap out of it gives them credibility. it's not just a matter of money at that point unless you're paying another shop to do it. Not every company is out there just becuase they're making a dollar, many of the people that populate those companies from the top to the bottom ranks are hardcore enthusiasts. They just choose to take their knowledge and work in a field they love.

I agree with both sides. I would rather have either a big company OR a grocery store clerk build up a nicely modded car than run into some punk kid on the street, with a few stickers and badges for parts that are not installed in the car, who thinks their car will blow anything off the road Remember....stickers add at leat 5 hp

Not flaming at all....I have a few stickers but it's for stuff that I actually have installed on my rex.

come on dude, die hard enthusiasts or not, those big name companies that everybody knows are *businesses*. just like regular car manufacturers, those cars would never be built unless there was a business case (ahemm, profit) from them.

whereas the 9-5 guy like you and me are 100% confident that we're taking a huge monetary loss from modding and decide to do it anyway. apply that principle to a man that doesn't make much money, and you see where my respect comes from.

come on dude, die hard enthusiasts or not, those big name companies that everybody knows are *businesses*. just like regular car manufacturers, those cars would never be built unless there was a business case (ahemm, profit) from them.

whereas the 9-5 guy like you and me are 100% confident that we're taking a huge monetary loss from modding and decide to do it anyway. apply that principle to a man that doesn't make much money, and you see where my respect comes from.

So in order to earn your respect as a "enthusiast" you have to take a loss at your hobby?

Sorry, I don't see it at your level and can't. I've yet to meet one person in the car industry that runs/owns a shop with a shop car that's not a true enthusiast.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianH
    So in order to earn your respect as a "enthusiast" you have to take a loss at your hobby?

Sorry, I don't see it at your level and can't. I've yet to meet one person in the car industry that runs/owns a shop with a shop car that's not a true enthusiast.

tough crowd! dude, you can definitely see at my level, because you hang out with those guys every day; the ones with blown trannies and can't afford a new one; someone who saves every penny for an up-pipe and it starts leaking on them. these are all problems *we* encounter, not Joe Schmoe CEO over at AMS.

we do our own research, we spend *our* money, not other people's; we void our warranties, we take depreciation hits, we have to wait 'til summer to drive at a track, and wait in line for 30 minutes to do so, we do a "search" and help other people out. i don't see what we have in common at all with those big companies.

no matter how much of an enthusiast you are, the day it becomes your job is the day it stops becoming a hobby/passion. the more successful you get, the more cars become a business case.

No, I can't see it at your level. Because I know many of the people who are in it "just for the business", and I can tell you that they're diehard enthusiasts. The only difference is that they make their living doing what we consider a hobby. Those people at those companies are the same as us in every way. You think that the boys at AMS don't have to wait in line 30 minutes every time they want to run? Guess again, you can find them in the staging lanes with everyone else at GLD.

Just because you make money at something doesn't mean you're not an enthusiest, it doesn't mean you stop caring about cars and that your pupils turn into dollar signs every time a customer walks in the door. What makes you think it does? Do you have any personal experiences that make you think this way? I know quite a few people that own their own shops and having known them before/after I can say that they're just as big of enthusiests now as they were before. The largest difference is that they now do what they love for a living.

To think that someone goes from an enthusiest to a greedy jackass overnight when they open their own shop or take a job in the industry is a complete joke.

tough crowd! dude, you can definitely see at my level, because you hang out with those guys every day; the ones with blown trannies and can't afford a new one; someone who saves every penny for an up-pipe and it starts leaking on them. these are all problems *we* encounter, not Joe Schmoe CEO over at AMS.

we do our own research, we spend *our* money, not other people's; we void our warranties, we take depreciation hits, we have to wait 'til summer to drive at a track, and wait in line for 30 minutes to do so, we do a "search" and help other people out. i don't see what we have in common at all with those big companies.

no matter how much of an enthusiast you are, the day it becomes your job is the day it stops becoming a hobby/passion. the more successful you get, the more cars become a business case.

I agree with BrianH
    2005 Ubaru Impreza WRX Sedan Crystal Grey Metallic
    Mods: In my profile
    http://www.myspace.com/scottycruz

Quote Originally Posted by BrianH
    To think that someone goes from an enthusiest to a greedy jackass overnight when they open their own shop or take a job in the industry is a complete joke.
    +1
    Life is too short for traffic.

that's cool that you you know a bunch of guys that are "into" it and are into the business. can't say anything wrong about that.

i guess where i'm coming from is that most "major" aftermarket companies are into a huge pissing contest; whoever gets the most power, handling, road course time, etc. will get the most credibility. i just feel like the "regular" enthusiasts get left behind.

perfect example: it's not exactly a secret that thousands of WRX's have suffered shredded transmissions. 4 years after its introduction, to this day, how many affordable options are there? ONE! maybe two. you'd think such a popular problem would cause companies to flock to this weak area and help the enthusiast out, and run their business that way. the economies of scale from mass production would easily offset production costs, and everybody wins in the end. you get a new tranny at a low price, while the vendor still profits considerably.

so why doesn't this happen? because they're too busy creating cars like the one we're talking about, trying to "one up" each other, instead of doing some R & D on more day to day mods that would interest *us*, their huge customer base.

cliff notes: if aftermarket companies stop sponsoring themselves in 800whp monsters, always getting into a war with each other, the first people to win would be us.

Well..I think that there are no cheap transmission mods that are worth while, so it defeats your point. I win..haha

Well, there are options for transmissions in subarus. It's just that they're not cheap so people aren't buying them. How many people do you know that have blown transmissions? How many do you know that have upgraded their gearset and not replaced transmissions with a JDM swap for 4k instead of a hardened rebuild for 5.5K? The few replacement gearsets that I have for the evo are around the same price and the hardened sets for older dsms are around the same range. Tranny options are out there for the subaru, but they're just not cheap.

Anyways most the companies that make gearsets aren't the same shops that make performance parts.

that's cool that you you know a bunch of guys that are "into" it and are into the business. can't say anything wrong about that.

i guess where i'm coming from is that most "major" aftermarket companies are into a huge pissing contest; whoever gets the most power, handling, road course time, etc. will get the most credibility. i just feel like the "regular" enthusiasts get left behind.

perfect example: it's not exactly a secret that thousands of WRX's have suffered shredded transmissions. 4 years after its introduction, to this day, how many affordable options are there? ONE! maybe two. you'd think such a popular problem would cause companies to flock to this weak area and help the enthusiast out, and run their business that way. the economies of scale from mass production would easily offset production costs, and everybody wins in the end. you get a new tranny at a low price, while the vendor still profits considerably.

so why doesn't this happen? because they're too busy creating cars like the one we're talking about, trying to "one up" each other, instead of doing some R & D on more day to day mods that would interest *us*, their huge customer base.

cliff notes: if aftermarket companies stop sponsoring themselves in 800whp monsters, always getting into a war with each other, the first people to win would be us.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast