2005 WRX
Up-pipe
Lightweight pulley
Short throw shifter
H-tech lowering springs
Cobb Accessport Flashed to stage I

Mini Cooper S
Carbon Fiber hood
Exhaust(blowing out black smoke like crazy)
No sure of any other mods

We did two races, one was from a 10mph roll, he was leading i was behind him, race was dead even up to 70mph when i slowed down.

Second race was from a stop but he was in front of me. I slipped the clutch out but realized i was either going to ram into him, brake really hard or shift early, so i shifted to 2nd at 4k and he pulled a half car on me and held it there till 90mph. The car was quick, def matched me dead even from a roll. If i could have launched on him i think i could have easily held him off till 100mph or so, but i think once i shifted to 4th he would have started to pull on me. I was happy with the results, i am not sure of his mods, but he was blowing out black smoke pretty badly. Oh and he could shift really good, i could hear his shifts since the exhaust was really loud and he def shifted quickly.

See less See more
#5 ·
Uh well as far as i know a stock Cooper S traps right around the same as a stock WRX and a modded cooper could have had a smaller pulley or something could easily hang with a stage I wrx. I guess you guys here don't know that much. Its not like a 2.0 is a huge engine please. Don't comment if you don't know what your talking about.

#6 ·
some stats from C&D on a convertible cooper s (only 114lbs heavier than the coupe)...

MINI COOPER S CONVERTIBLE
Vehicle type: front-engine, front-wheel-drive, 4-passenger, 2-door convertible
Price as tested: $28,670 (base price: $25,450)
Engine type: supercharged and intercooled SOHC 16-valve inline-4, iron block and aluminum head, port fuel injection
Displacement: 98 cu in, 1598cc
Power (SAE net): 168 bhp @ 6000 rpm
Torque (SAE net): 162 lb-ft @ 4000 rpm
Transmission: 6-speed manual
Wheelbase: 97.1 in
Length/width/height: 143.9/66.5/55.5 in
Curb weight: 2848 lb
Zero to 60 mph: 6.6 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 17.9 sec
Street start, 5-60 mph: 7.5 sec
Standing 1/4-mile: 15.2 sec @ 93 mph
Top speed (drag limited): 134 mph
Braking, 70-0 mph: 155 ft
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.87 g
EPA fuel economy, city driving: 25 mpg
C/D-observed fuel economy: 20 mpg

doesn't add up.

with a $5000 Stage III kit from Mni Mania the car reaches 60mph in 5.3 seconds. possible he had a similar setup? (CAI, charger pulley, ECU remap etc)

#7 ·
SugerMan said:
some stats from C&D on a convertible cooper s (only 114lbs heavier than the coupe)...

MINI COOPER S CONVERTIBLE
Vehicle type: front-engine, front-wheel-drive, 4-passenger, 2-door convertible
Price as tested: $28,670 (base price: $25,450)
Engine type: supercharged and intercooled SOHC 16-valve inline-4, iron block and aluminum head, port fuel injection
Displacement: 98 cu in, 1598cc
Power (SAE net): 168 bhp @ 6000 rpm
Torque (SAE net): 162 lb-ft @ 4000 rpm
Transmission: 6-speed manual
Wheelbase: 97.1 in
Length/width/height: 143.9/66.5/55.5 in
Curb weight: 2848 lb
Zero to 60 mph: 6.6 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 17.9 sec
Street start, 5-60 mph: 7.5 sec
Standing 1/4-mile: 15.2 sec @ 93 mph
Top speed (drag limited): 134 mph
Braking, 70-0 mph: 155 ft
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.87 g
EPA fuel economy, city driving: 25 mpg
C/D-observed fuel economy: 20 mpg

doesn't add up.

with a $5000 Stage III kit from Mni Mania the car reaches 60mph in 5.3 seconds. possible he had a similar setup? (CAI, charger pulley, ECU remap etc)

a trap speed of 93mph for a stock mini cooper S is right around what alot of wrx owners trap stock. I am stage I so i assume 95 mph trap is what i could expect. The Cooper S had at the very least an exhaust so who knows it could have had more, but either way it was not stock. I don't see how the story isn't what was expected, it was from a roll not a dig.

#9 ·
wrxtuner2006 said:
Well if ony people who knew what they were talking about posted, there would be a total of about 3 new posts every day.

I guess i'm just on of the morons who makes it interesting. :D
:cool: never a truer(lol what a word to use)statement made :rotfl:

#10 ·
I made the mistake of underestimating a Mini in my stage 1. He took off and I was at the bottom of second thinking I would just reel him in quickly. I didn't know his mods but I am still not sure if I pulled any distance between us up to about 80 mph. Its hard to say what was what without knowing mods but just to let you know it happened to me too :)

#11 ·
Ive pulled on my buddies stock JCW anniversary mini s, and i was also stock. They are quick but i was also behind him when we started the race, I pulled on him till around 80 when we both started to slow down. I was a good 3-4 car lengths on him too.

#12 ·
i drove a Mini Cooper S when I was Stage 1 like a million years ago. it did not feel that fast to me; I let the owner of that car drive mine, since he let me drive his; he thought mine was teH fastar.

but with unequal drivers, who knows?

#13 ·
AngelBoy said:
i drove a Mini Cooper S when I was Stage 1 like a million years ago. it did not feel that fast to me; I let the owner of that car drive mine, since he let me drive his; he thought mine was teH fastar.

but with unequal drivers, who knows?
The mini cooper S i raced was not stock, it had at the very least an exhaust and i would not be shocked if it had a pulley. I floored it in 2nd gear shifted to 3rd and floored it in third and i was not gaining on him and he might have been creeping on me if anything, it had nothing to do with the driver, his car was quick.

#14 ·
I can believe I also had an intersting experience with a mini once, I beat it but it was fast. I talked to the guy and a pulley/exhaust/intake is just under 200whp, he says with a tine +injectors he will be around 210whp as light as those cars are its believeable to me anyways.

#16 ·
sisforsurfing said:
I'm not at all suprised it was as close as it was. I raced a stock Cooper S when my car was stock from about 70-120ish (obviously on a closed racetrack), and I was suprised how slowly I pulled away from him. About 2 carlengths, but they're quicker than you'd think.
yeah but at 70mph the WRX has about two seconds of acceleration left.

#18 ·
Sad to say, but our WRX's are no longer faster than most cars like they used to be. The only thing left for us is our launches. A lot of the cars are trapping more than ours, and we will lose to these cars from a roll. i.e. accords, avalon's, maxima's etc. Even the current batch of pocket rockets.

:sadwave:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.