got spanked by a mustang... strange...
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on got spanked by a mustang... strange... within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; i used to have a boosted acura integra... 203 hp @ 7psi to the wheels there is a guy in ...

got spanked by a mustang... strange...

i used to have a boosted acura integra... 203 hp @ 7psi to the wheels

there is a guy in my area who ive raced a few times on the highway, who ive always spanked everytime we raced at a stoplight. he has a lowered '02 modded mustang puttin about 220 hp to the wheels

so the other day, i happen to catch him on the highway again. i pulled up and we slowed down to catch a light. light turned green... i gunned it, pulled ahead... shifted to second... he started to pull ahead... i shifted to third, started to pull ahead... then he started to pull away!!

usually... by 3rd gear im inching away from him almost a car ahead by 4th gear.

all i got to say is DAMN... im missin my boosted integra and now im starting to get that itch to start modding my WRX. right now its stock... just got it last week!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

that sounds about right. 4th and 5th gear on a WRX are just about useless. a stock WRX is respectable 0-80mph. after that, the combination of a small ass engine with no variable valve timing, and tall gearing, conspire against it.

'Stangs, on the other hand, have a 4.6L V8 that can push through all that air even at higher speeds.
    embattled, we prevail...only victory exhaled.

td04 = turd on topend

Quote Originally Posted by BrianH
    td04 = turd on topend
    yes yes, plus mine eats oil now....

I think 02 GT Stangs put around 225-235 down from the factory... Either way a stock GT and a stock WRX is a pretty close race till around 3rd gear, so theres nothing abnormal about your run, especially if hes modded. They trap a bit higher than a stock rex so your gunna go down at higher speeds if ur stock. Get yourself up to stage 2 trim (Turboback exhaust + ECU) and you will start showing him your taillights again. Your stock rex is putting like 170-180 tops to the pavement so its should be no surprise your turbo teg was alot faster (especially with the extra 300lbs or so), mods will wake it up alot though.

Check out cobbtuning.com and take a look at their stage 2, they run around $1500 and is deffinatly a very nice place to start. It will put you into the mid 13's trapping around 100mph, add an upipe and some other supporting mods and you will be doing even better.
    Cobb Stage 2.5 VF-34 + uppipe
    Best ET so far - 13.1@103 with a 1.81 60'

Yeah, no problems here keeping up side by side with a GT until I hit ~90 or so and go into 4th. By 100 I start to read all the nice stickers in the back window of the Mustang and by the top of 4th I can still make out that its a mustang but only because I recognize the outline.

you shouldnt have to do much...i was at the beach in 95+ heat over the summer, i had header, uppipe, 3" TB, and stage 3 tune on utec and i spanked a 01 cobra half way through 4th gear (we let off)...i was pretty damn happy...the guy pulled up beside me and said "man whats in that thing".....just a 2L

You need to get some EM such as a Cobb Accessport. Oh and of course exhaust parts such as a downpipe and an exhaust. A bigger turbo wouldn't hurt with corresponding fuel mods such as a pump and injectors. Oh don't forget the uppipe. While you're at it you might as well get some internal work done just for kicks. Then you'd have to get a Cobb Accesstuner if that's the case and a custom tune. Oh hell just throw on a 50 shot. If you do all that you should be able to beat that pesky Mustang.
    WRX 2004 Cobb Stage II (91) w/Helix DP ... 13.8@96.

I need an uppipe and an exhaust!

From a dig stock for stock is a drivers race, from a roll the GT will walk you.

i plan to get into stage 2 within a few weeks. cant stand being STOCK. lol

Quote Originally Posted by 04wrx4keeps
    I think 02 GT Stangs put around 225-235 down from the factory... Either way a stock GT and a stock WRX is a pretty close race till around 3rd gear, so theres nothing abnormal about your run, especially if hes modded. They trap a bit higher than a stock rex so your gunna go down at higher speeds if ur stock. Get yourself up to stage 2 trim (Turboback exhaust + ECU) and you will start showing him your taillights again. Your stock rex is putting like 170-180 tops to the pavement so its should be no surprise your turbo teg was alot faster (especially with the extra 300lbs or so), mods will wake it up alot though.
    you are correct sir. a stock GT will put down 230-235 rwhp. i dynoed at 245rwhp w/ an X pipe, timing adjuster, and 4.10 gears (which actually lower hp, but raise tq)
    2000 Laser Red Ford Mustang GT 5 speed
    gears, suspension, brakes, bolt-ons
    13.724@101.01 w/ a 2.0 60' (mods were gears and X-pipe on street radials w/ a STOCK suspension)
    FOR SALE OR TRADE!

funny... i used to spank GTs like no joke and my boosted teg only put out 203 hp @ 7psi

Quote Originally Posted by DEMENTED
    funny... i used to spank GTs like no joke and my boosted teg only put out 203 hp @ 7psi
    how much did your teg weigh? im guessing under 3k. you had a HUGE weight advantage that could easily make up for 30-35 hp. most GTs weight in the 3400-3600 lb range . and if you raced GTs that were years 94-98 (2 body styles back), they were slow from the factory, only rated at 215-225 hp at the crank, which is ~180 rwhp. a decent driver in a 99+ PI GT would give you a good run in that peppy lil teg up top, but would take you from a launch to 100mph. did you have any slips from the teg? im curious
    2000 Laser Red Ford Mustang GT 5 speed
    gears, suspension, brakes, bolt-ons
    13.724@101.01 w/ a 2.0 60' (mods were gears and X-pipe on street radials w/ a STOCK suspension)
    FOR SALE OR TRADE!

WRX's are made to be modded, so get started. You will be very unhappy with a WRX's top end performance. It is definately slower up top than a Mustang GT.

But after a couple mods that will drastically change. It is so easy to make a WRX fast. A turbo back exhaust and a boost controller will do wonders.

Quote Originally Posted by dccphs
    how much did your teg weigh? im guessing under 3k. you had a HUGE weight advantage that could easily make up for 30-35 hp. most GTs weight in the 3400-3600 lb range . and if you raced GTs that were years 94-98 (2 body styles back), they were slow from the factory, only rated at 215-225 hp at the crank, which is ~180 rwhp. a decent driver in a 99+ PI GT would give you a good run in that peppy lil teg up top, but would take you from a launch to 100mph. did you have any slips from the teg? im curious
    werd, this guy is full of bs left and right. i used to own a 00 GT that was modded nicely as well and i guarantee that, that integra he is talking about wouldnt even be capable of making out my back end from a dead stop once we got done.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.