WRX wagon is best car at any price
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on WRX wagon is best car at any price within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; The WRX Wagon is the best car made for ME at ANY price. I'm not saying its the best for ...

I Support ClubWRX

WRX wagon is best car at any price

The WRX Wagon is the best car made for ME at ANY price. I'm not saying its the best for YOU. This statement is based on the following criteria. You are requested to follow this criteria when refuting my claim.

1. I can only afford to have one car. I know I said any price, but I mean any price for a single car - not any price for a stable of cars. Plus I live in the US, so cars not sold in the US aren't eligible. Though I'd like to hear about them.

2. I REALLY like performance. I must have a high performance vehicle. It has to handle, accelerate and brake extremely well. I drive a lot of twisty mountain rods, so how it handles these is the litmus test for me, not a drag strip, auto-x course or even a wide-open road course.

3. I live in snow country and do a lot of skiing. Plus I really like to drive fast in the snow - for me this goes along with #2. If it doesn't kick butt in the snow it's not for me.

4. I have a family including a large dog. I have to have a practical car that can carry a lot of stuff.

So lessee - #3 immediately rules out anything that is RWD. You can get away with RWD in the snow, but it will never "kick butt". "Oh it has traction control and will get you where you need to go" doesn't cut it. FWD fits the bill, but I think goes against #2. Not that there aren't some great FWD cars out there, just that they really start to struggle in the handling department over 200hp. As far as I know, there isn't a FWD car quicker than the WRX sold in America.

#4 basically rules out Coupes, Sedans and two seaters. I guess a big sedan with fold-down rear seats would work but not as well.

The WRX fills number 2 quite nicely, despite what some haters have to say. You think the WRX is slow and handles poorly? I say you're just plain wrong. Sure there are cars that are faster and handle better, but not many! A few mods and it can take on just about anything on the road.

The WRX fills #3 better than just about any car out there. Lessee, a couple of Audis, a couple of BMWs. That's about it as far as anything that is performance oriented at all. I've never heard good things about Carrera 4s in the snow - though I bet it would do well if you put some skinny tires on it. Trucks don't fill any of the other requirements plus the roads I drive on are plowed so I never have to go through more than a foot of snow - ground clearance isn't a problem. And even in the snow, the high center of gravity hurts a truck's handling. Give me an AWD car any day.

So about the only thing that comes to mind for competition is the Audi S4 Avant. But while the sedan has comparable performance to the WRX, the Avant (wagon) is A LOT heavier, and as a result, performance suffers. I think there are a couple of new Audis that are as fast or faster than the WRX, but they are quite large, and for me that goes against parameter #2. Luxury is not on my list of parameters. The WRX already has too many heavy gadgets for me. I don't want any more.

Nothing else can compete with the total package.

And all for only $24,000. A price that I can actually afford in reality.

Chris
    Last edited by GV27; 10-30-2002 at 11:07 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Since you said U.S., I'll agree. Other than that... STi wagon!!!! If you add in luxury, I'd say Audi RS4.

I ordered my wagon to be like a cheap S4 with hopes to compare it to an RS4 some day. The main components that the WRX lacks is leather and sunroof. Ordered them on my wagon. The only thing I won't have is semi-automatic air, but those have always been a pain to me. The press info has said that the quality of materials used on the interior has been improved, so maybe that will make it even closer. For US, take a 23,000 wagon and add a 1,000 aftermarket sunroof (if you really want it) and leather from a group buy for 600 to get a total of 24,600. Aftermarket to help performance is reasonable as well.

If the WRX was a Vampire, the WRX Wagon would be the Daywalker.

All of its strengths, none of its weaknesses.
    Prodrive Headlight Conversion
    STi Front Grill
    Turbochargers.com Stage 1 Turbo Upgrade - T28 Compressor
    The most important mod is the one behind the steering wheel
    Wagons Are Cool Check Out My Baby Here!

Originally posted by koyokid
    If the WRX was a Vampire, the WRX Wagon would be the Daywalker.

All of its strengths, none of its weaknesses.
    Inaccurate! I have NO need for a wagon! The additional weight (as little as it may be would be a negative side-effect for me). So your statement may be true for you, but not for me!
    Rubber Duckies Fair Well in the Rain

Originally posted by campbell

Inaccurate! I have NO need for a wagon! The additional weight (as little as it may be would be a negative side-effect for me). So your statement may be true for you, but not for me!
    Click Here
    STi Front Grill

I Support ClubWRX
    The Sedan and wagon are awfully close. Some say the extra weight in back of the Wagon helps the balance (it does) and improves handling (mmmm....possibly). I only weigh 160 so I figure it averages out. It's only 80lbs - my car probably has more snow on it than that right now!

Certainly if you never need to haul anything you don't need the wagon, but here's what I do with mine:

Rex Wagon = SUV?

Can't think of any small advantage the Sedan might have that outweighs THAT! But again, if an MR2 spider works as well for you as any car, you don't need the wagon.

I definitely agree with Powerwagon - if there was an STi wagon currently available, THAT would be the car to have, and nothing would even come close for me. I'd be standing in a puddle of drool right now! I don't think they have a new-gen STi wagon yet though, do they? Maybe in Japan? I know Oz and Europe haven't gotten it. A Liberty/Legacy B4 would be in the running if they sold that here.

Chris
    Last edited by GV27; 10-30-2002 at 06:11 PM.
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by koyokid

Click Here
    ROTFLMFAO!!!!!!!

Sorry campbell!
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1993 Honda CBR600F2

Originally posted by GV27

ROTFLMFAO!!!!!!!

Sorry campbell!
    You guys can take your dead vampire and SHOVE IT!
    Rubber Duckies Fair Well in the Rain

Originally posted by campbell

You guys can take your dead vampire and SHOVE IT!

Yes, the STi wagon would be the end all, be all for me. There's just something about having your cake and eating it too.

The wagon is the reason I have a WRX. Otherwise my wife would have not approved. With our wagon, we can take people, cargo, groceries etc., and all the while still have the speed, handling and fun of the WRX. My wife can fit all of her massage equipment in the back w/o taking up any passenger space. The wagon was really the only choice for us. But even if I was single, I'd still have the wagon. I love sport hatchbacks, and the WRX wagon is everything that I love wrapped up in one vehicle.
    Last edited by koyokid; 10-30-2002 at 06:59 PM.
    STi Front Grill

mmmm wagons!!
    I would give up mine for the Audi RS6 wagon

here is a clipping of details on the engine alone....

High-tech lightweight aluminium V8, displacing 4.2 litres. Five-valves for each cylinder, forty in all. Twin turbochargers. High lift cams with hydraulic lifters. Variable magnesium intake manifolds. The latest in electronic engine management. Output of 450bhp at just 5700 rpm. Torque of 560 Nm from 1950 to 5600 rpm.

a magazine that drove the car referred to it having a torque table rather than a torque curve!!!!

Two of the coolest cars on the planet.
    STi Front Grill

I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah definitely badass - it'd be tough, they're a bit large for my tastes. The R6 Avant wouldn't quite cut it, but an RS6 Avant - that'd be tough to turn down. Not in the US yet, so my point stands. Tenuously!

So is that STi Japan only, or what?
    Last edited by GV27; 10-30-2002 at 07:11 PM.

1993 Honda CBR600F2

I Support ClubWRX
    Just looked at the Audi USA web site and they aren't listing an S4! What's with that??

1993 Honda CBR600F2

Originally posted by GV27
    Yeah definitely badass - it'd be tough, they're a bit large for my tastes. The R6 Avant wouldn't quite cut it, but an RS6 Avant - that'd be tough to turn down. Not in the US yet, so my point stands. Tenuously!

So is that STi Japan only, or what?
    I was actually agreeing with you - nothing else in the US would get me to give up the WRX.

The word is that the only flavor STi we'll be getting will be the sedan. That, my friend, will be a shame.

Does anyone know any figures of how many WRX wagons were sold compared to sedans? Just curious.
    STi Front Grill

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.