Raced an LS1 Camaro ... - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on Raced an LS1 Camaro ... within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hmph. Well I think a stage 2.5 WOULD help regardless of how fast people think the V8s are. If he ...

Hmph. Well I think a stage 2.5 WOULD help regardless of how fast people think the V8s are. If he runs a low to mid-13 and the stage 2.5 runs a low 13 then yes, it would help. Another thing -- this was from a roll. I knew I was going to lose, especially from a roll, but it was fun which is why I raced him. I don't always win but losing is a blast sometimes, especially to a fast car like that. Like the first responder said ... "Nice death."
    WRX 2004 Cobb Stage II (91) w/Helix DP ... 13.8@96.

I need an uppipe and an exhaust!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by wrxtony
    Hmph. Well I think a stage 2.5 WOULD help regardless of how fast people think the V8s are. If he runs a low to mid-13 and the stage 2.5 runs a low 13 then yes, it would help. Another thing -- this was from a roll. I knew I was going to lose, especially from a roll, but it was fun which is why I raced him. I don't always win but losing is a blast sometimes, especially to a fast car like that. Like the first responder said ... "Nice death."
    Exactly. People are going to tell you all over that such and such car will run such and such time, and thats great, but the only real way to accuratly guage how fast your car is by comparing 1/4 mile times is to run at the track and compare it to those cars running that day. Any other timeslip comparisson is only going to be close (especially when your talking about cars within a few tenths and a few mph's of eachother), conditions will always play a factor, and its really still not much better than mag racing. I run 13.1-13.3 @101-104 pretty consistently, and all the stock LS1 F-Body's I see at the track I run at hit 13.5-14+ @ 100-105. I am a 2.5 and have run a few on the street and it is a close run from a roll, no matter what anyone tells you. I met a friend of mine at the track one day with a 99 Z-28 6spd with a catback exhaust, his best run the whole night was a 13.7 @ 102 with a 2.0 60' time (with most of his runs in the 13.8-14.1 range), and my best run of that night was a 13.3 @ 102 (with a few other 13.3's and a 13.4 & 13.5). Neither of us hit our best times that night (and everyone was complaining about the track just being slow that night), but it still shows whos car was faster than whos. So dont worry about what people will tell you online, everything is relative. I just cant wait till I get my Pro-tune, hopefully I'll get some $$ soon and get myself up to Indiana to see the folks at Slow-boy.

And your run doesnt sound that bad, and perfectly normal. I raced 2 different LS1 camaros as a Stage 2 when I was living in NJ. The SS I raced was alot like your run sounded, we were dead even from about 40 to about 75-80mph (top of 3rd) and then he started to slowly walk away before I shut down at about 95-100. LS1's are roll monsters, but the WRX deffinatly has more agressive gearing in 1st and 2nd, and that combined with about 300lbs less weight can make up some for the lower whp until speeds climb. Good luck with the new turbo once you get it, and believe me, you deffinatly wont be dissapointed, the VF-34 will deffinatly put a grin on your face...
    Last edited by 04wrx4keeps; 10-24-2005 at 12:30 AM.
    Cobb Stage 2.5 VF-34 + uppipe
    Best ET so far - 13.1@103 with a 1.81 60'

The f-body ls1's run just as good as the vettes because they have a solid axle rear.... it's a little better for drag racing and reducing drivetrain power loss....

the other thing about the intake vs. induction system.... it's acceptable to call the vararam an intake, as is it acceptable to call a ls6 intake manifold an intake. If someone were to ask me what kind of intake I had, I'd answer a vararam.... if they asked what intake manifold, I would tell them a ls6. The only way I'd refer to my intake manifold as an "intake" would be if I said a "ls6 intake". But you go 9 places out of 10 and they will refer to cold air intakes and ram air intakes as just intakes... I can't think of anyone that would say "what kind of induction system do you have under that hood?"
    Last edited by MagikMan; 10-24-2005 at 10:58 AM.
    1999 Corvette; vararam cold air intake; ls6 intake manifold; cartek stage 2x heads; cartek stage 2x cam; ported ls6 oil pump; hardened pushrods; 1 7/8" headers with full 3" exhaust back; hardened output shaft; 3.90rear gears.... 420rwhp

2001 Audi A4 2.8 Quattro; heated seats

Quote Originally Posted by MagikMan
    The f-body ls1's run just as good as the vettes because they have a solid axle rear.... it's a little better for drag racing and reducing drivetrain power loss....
    Is that a joke? The hp/lbs is in favor of the vette. The Vette sporting the same LS1 is much faster in the 1/4 then the SS and WS6.

I race an LS1 SS from a 10mph roll and I was shifting into 3rd when he started pulling on me. Because the way and where we raced I didn't get a chance to launch and only had about 1/4 lead from the get go.
    2002 PSM utec Stage 4
    Mods

Quote Originally Posted by WRX-ERROR
    Is that a joke? The hp/lbs is in favor of the vette. The Vette sporting the same LS1 is much faster in the 1/4 then the SS and WS6.

I race an LS1 SS from a 10mph roll and I was shifting into 3rd when he started pulling on me. Because the way and where we raced I didn't get a chance to launch and only had about 1/4 lead from the get go.
    solid rear axel makes for a huge difference in the launch, and it is more efficient in putting the power to the wheels.
    Anthony

Quote Originally Posted by Antyoo
    solid rear axel makes for a huge difference in the launch, and it is more efficient in putting the power to the wheels.
    We're talking about stock or very close to stock cars here, not fully tunned drag racers. Yes there will be a difference in power to the ground, but its going to be minimal (a few whp, if that at, stock levels). Vettes dyno very close to 300whp stock just like alot of LS1's do... and the few hundred pounds difference is deffinatly a bigger factor in a race than the axel difference, especially at stock power levels.
    Cobb Stage 2.5 VF-34 + uppipe
    Best ET so far - 13.1@103 with a 1.81 60'

u want topend???? feast on an 18G.

Good try
    The VF Turbo will definately allow you to hang with an LS1 (Stock LS1).
    My VF30 (Stage 4 wrx) beat many many LS1's on the street. Most these races were also from a roll. My best VF30 run was 12.7 @ 108 mph with a 8.18 sec 1/8 mile. That's pretty darn quick.

Quote Originally Posted by SGOSWRX
    Good try
    My VF30 (Stage 4 wrx) beat many many LS1's on the street. Most these races were also from a roll. My best VF30 run was 12.7 @ 108 mph with a 8.18 sec 1/8 mile. That's pretty darn quick.
    Why is it here in the US we only seem to land high to mid 12's with any VF turbo yet the guys from PR are hitting 11.8 with a VF39? Do they use a smaller ruler to measure out 1320ft or do we just suck over here?

Sorry man I'm not knocking your 12.7 cause I know my car wont do it but I can't understand how they can do it and we don't.
    2002 PSM utec Stage 4
    Mods

Quote Originally Posted by WRX-ERROR
    Why is it here in the US we only seem to land high to mid 12's with any VF turbo yet the guys from PR are hitting 11.8 with a VF39? Do they use a smaller ruler to measure out 1320ft or do we just suck over here?

Sorry man I'm not knocking your 12.7 cause I know my car wont do it but I can't understand how they can do it and we don't.
    PR people use external wastegate and weld the internal wastegate shut. They have reported over 30 WHP with this method.
    12.8@104 w/ 1.86 60'
    274awhp/270tq (dynojet)
    vf22/pinks/up/exhaust/pump/mbc/bov/ecutek

I'm telling you, the camaros run the same times stock vs. stock as a vette. The solid axle rear makes a huge difference. They don't handle as good stock, but the camaros still are very fast with the ls1, and the other thing, the manual 6sp vettes dyno around 315 to the wheels.
    1999 Corvette; vararam cold air intake; ls6 intake manifold; cartek stage 2x heads; cartek stage 2x cam; ported ls6 oil pump; hardened pushrods; 1 7/8" headers with full 3" exhaust back; hardened output shaft; 3.90rear gears.... 420rwhp

2001 Audi A4 2.8 Quattro; heated seats

so weight does not make a difference?
    14.160@96.011
    90 degree weather
    airhog, removed silencer, and removed stock catback exhaust (stock DPs in place) and craptacular california 91 octane piss water

Quote Originally Posted by MagikMan
    I'm telling you, the camaros run the same times stock vs. stock as a vette. The solid axle rear makes a huge difference. They don't handle as good stock, but the camaros still are very fast with the ls1, and the other thing, the manual 6sp vettes dyno around 315 to the wheels.
    1/4mile wise, I agree. I have been the track quite a few times most of the C5's I see are not cutting much better times than 6mt Z28, SS, WS6, etc.... Both cars will run very low 13's when driven right, and on average mid 13's... but the vette seems to be typically just a tad faster. When it comes the mods the C5 tends to be a bit ahead of the F-bodies as well IMO and the real difference is the topend. An SS that cuts a 13.3 will trap about 106/107 where as a C5 cutting that time is likely to trap 109mph and once you start modding the topend of the C5 become more noticeable in reference to the F-bodies.

Quote Originally Posted by SGOSWRX
    Good try
    I think they were refering more to the cobb stage2.5 package though. This does have a VF34 in it, but the EM is only using an off the shelf cobb map and is only good for very low 13's and trapping 103mph or so which would still have a hard time keeping up with an LS1 from a roll... Ofcourse if you get the proper EM and tuning for that VF34 then I would say the victor is likely to be the wrx.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

The LS1 in the Camaro won't make as much power as the LS1 in the Vette because of emissions system. The power in both cars is underrated from the factory.
    - Jim

I had one on my tail coming home from work. I was first in line at a red light and he was behind me. Another stop light with traffic at it about 100 yards away so i did nothing. I just took off normal and the whole time he was tailgating. We drove for another 8 miles or so in traffic then he decided to pass me by and cut traffic off that was in front of me.

Well anyways the road im talking about is A1A on the Cape. It turned from 35 to 55 and traffic lightened up. So i nail it to catch back up to him. The whole time i was thinking i am gonna lose as i was now on his tail. I waited like 5 seconds and he still did nothing. So i nailed it from about 60 MPH and passed him by. He didnt even gun it. Just caught back up to me and rode my tail again but this time he could of passed or got on the side of me but didnt. I turned and that was it.

The whole time i was thinking this is some Blair Witch **** that i just dont understand.
    02 PSM WRX Cobb Stage 2.5 - SOLD
    05 Stone White SRT4 (CC, 58% Maddog, Gutted DP) SOLD
    2002 Toyota 4runner SR5 4WD - SOLD
    04 BMW 325i
    08 Spark Silver STI - Stage 2 Protuned

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast