Ultimate Street Car Challenge 2005 - Who do YOU think will win and why? - Page 3

View Poll Results: Who will win the 2005 Ultimate Street Car Challenge?

Voters
84. You may not vote on this poll
  • 2002 HPA Audi TT Twin-Turbo

3 3.57%
  • 2000 XS Engineering Nissan Skyline GT-R

14 16.67%
  • 1994 Toyota Supra Turbo by Brian McGaha

9 10.71%
  • 1993 Toyota MR-2 Turbo by David Vesprime

0 0%
  • 1993 Mazda RX-7 LS-1 powered by Mark Corbett

8 9.52%
  • 2004 Dyno-Comp Subaru WRX STi by Richard Garcia

21 25.00%
  • 2003 APS Mitsubishi Lancer EVO VIII by Tom Pasalacqua

15 17.86%
  • 2001 Honda S2000 Supercharged by Brett Mayes

3 3.57%
  • 1991 Acura NSX Supercharged by James Chen

4 4.76%
  • 2003 APR "EVIL-R" Mitsubishi Lancer EVO VIII

7 8.33%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on Ultimate Street Car Challenge 2005 - Who do YOU think will win and why? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I don't usually defend sport compact car, but I do have to say that the first time around the contest ...

I don't usually defend sport compact car, but I do have to say that the first time around the contest was won by a basically stock 360 Modena. Also, I'm pretty sure there was a Viper either last year, or the year before. It all depends on who gets foted in, and then who actually shows up.

Overall I like the contest, I feel like they actually put the cars through their paces and break things that aren't well sorted out.

Dan

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by sisforsurfing
    Stock M3's or Cayman's would've gotten DESTROYED. They just lack the power/handling to keep up with the cars in the contest, even the Integra. Not sure about a bone stock Z06 coming in the top three, but throw some bolt ons and simple suspension mods, plus a set of really sticky tires and it would've been interesting.

I agree the contest is kind of stupid at times, but it's still interesting to me.
    I would put serious money on a stock Z06 (C6) finishing in the top 3.
    Current Vehicle: 2006 Volvo S60 R Sonic Blue/Atacama
    SOLD:
    2006 Graphite Gray Evo IX
    2004 STi
    2003 SVT Cobra
    2003 SVT Lightning
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffbmx00 View Post
    my friend has a 5.0 too, they are slow, the only way to decently make them fast is to drop a v8 explorer engine in them.

Quote Originally Posted by Juice33
    I would put serious money on a stock Z06 (C6) finishing in the top 3.
    It probably would, but at the time they were taking entry's for this years Ultamate street car challenge they werent available to the public. If no one enters a car than obviously that car wont be in the contest. Its not a motor-trend/car and driver kind of contest where they go and pick up new cars from the dealers. Readers have to submit their entry's and get voted into the contest to compete...

And for all of you who dont actually read SCC mag, it's the "Ultimate Street Car Challenge", not Sport compact car challenge, not race car challenge, not sports car challenge...STREET CAR, and they hold a pretty well rounded contest. Its not just based on performance, but things like ride comfort (in the "grandma test"), emissions, fuel economy, engineering, looks, basically every aspect of a street driven car as well as performance. Its all on an aplication/reader voted induction, so if no one sends in their Vette or Mustang then it wont get picked obviously... And I think it was 2 years ago a bone stock 360 modena won it. There was also a blown viper one year, there have been corvettes and there was a S/C'ed Mustang one year as well. They have been doing this contest for a long time and I'm sure they arent going to stop soon, if anyone's pissed off that [insert favorite car] wasnt included go build one and enter it...
    Cobb Stage 2.5 VF-34 + uppipe
    Best ET so far - 13.1@103 with a 1.81 60'

I question the validity of any "street car" challenge that allows cars which are not DOT legal to participate. But if it didn't fall all overitself to talk about how amazing and unstopable the Skyline was it wouldn't be SCC.

If the Skyline can run they should allow someone to run a GT2 class 911 that had been "modded" for street use. Or a Corvette C6R, or maybe Subarau WRC. See how well that pack stacks up then.
    Quote Originally Posted by SugerMan
    Just like the lottery is for people who are bad at math... street racing is for people who are bad at life.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilbird
    I question the validity of any "street car" challenge that allows cars which are not DOT legal to participate. But if it didn't fall all overitself to talk about how amazing and unstopable the Skyline was it wouldn't be SCC.

If the Skyline can run they should allow someone to run a GT2 class 911 that had been "modded" for street use. Or a Corvette C6R, or maybe Subarau WRC. See how well that pack stacks up then.
    many skylines have entered the contest before, and this is the FIRST time a skyline has won it, in fact if the EVO didnt break down on the track it would have EASILY walked away with a 1st place victory. I'd personally love to see a modded GT2 run with the rest of these streetcars, and I personally believe it'd have a chance to win. have you seen most of these cars? have you taken a look at the HPA Audi TT? its a modern marvel... click on the link on the first page to take a look at a video of it.

I think overall its a intresting contest to look at, and it seems pretty well rounded, of course there will always be critics (like anything else) but I enjoy watching how the cars perform being pushed to their very limits. Stuff breaks, People's egos get hurt... and people retry for another chance for the title!
    they call STi's STDs because everyone is getting them.

They will allow just about any streetable car that has entered to run in it, as long as readers vote it in. If someone entered a GT2 911 then it would run . Unfortunatly since ride comfort, gas milage, emissions, etc are all tests that these cars have to pass, the GT2, C6R and WRC Subaru would probably not dominate like you think.

ITS NOT A STRICTLY PERFORMANCE ORIENTED TEST.... The fastest car does not automatically (and in past contests rarely actually) win. A bearly converted to street legal GT2 Racecar or C6R probably would not win. They might walk everythin on the road track and 1/4 mile tests, but would likely come in last (or pretty close to last) in the comfort and civility based test. The idea is that the winning car has the best ballance of performance and comfort, hence it's the ultimate street car.

Most of you out there who are putting down this contest sound like you have never actually picked up the magazine and read about it. Go buy an issue of Sport Compact that has the Ultamate challenge in it and actually read it before you start huffing and puffing about how all these cars you like arent part of the contest... Its not Motor Trend, so no editor is going out and trying to pick a worthy representation from every class of car. Its all on a reader entry and voting basis. If you want to see a Porsche or Corvette in it go get someone with a nice one to enter it next year...

Some rich fukker should just show up with a bone stock Enzo and mop the floor with all those cars.

Jason
    1998 Turbo Neon..My own Stage 42
    2004 WRX Wagon....getting rid of it

Quote Originally Posted by JasoNeon
    Some rich fukker should just show up with a bone stock Enzo and mop the floor with all those cars.

Jason

they should, but its not going to happen (someone entering an enzo)

maybe next year someone should pitch the idea of throwing in a stock high perfromance vehicle (C6 Vette, Mucielago, F430, something) as a control to see how the other performers stack up.

Quote Originally Posted by JasoNeon

Jason
    will never happen unless they change the rules.. if my memory serves me right, pushrods and anything bigger than a v8 and flat 6s are not allowed.. thats kinda why the magazine is called SPORT COMPACT CAR.. but in recent years they have bent the rules a lil.. allowing vipers and 360 modenas.. so who knows what will happen.. but a skyline won ? i guess thats good, 1st time a skyline has won, i always read about how a skyline puked its guts out in the track events..
    14.160@96.011
    90 degree weather
    airhog, removed silencer, and removed stock catback exhaust (stock DPs in place) and craptacular california 91 octane piss water

My point was that neither a Skyline, nor a WRC or ALMS car should be in a STREET CAR challenge. To qualify as a street car in my mind a vehicle must:

A: Have started off as a DOT legal road going car.
    B: Be equipped with an engine and driveline that is legal for use within the US on road going vehicles.
    C: Be currently registered as a street drivable vehicle in some part of the US.
    D: Be capable of reaching the track, performing the test and leaving under its own power. Street cars don't have support trailers.

The point of street tuning is to turn road cars into beastly uber machines. Starting off with a purpose built race car, or imported exotic unable to meet DOT/EPA compliance, and shoehorning it through loopholes to claim it is street legal is doing it backwards.

And the car I'd really like to see in it is the new ///M6
    Just like the lottery is for people who are bad at math... street racing is for people who are bad at life.

Quote Originally Posted by blackrex02
    will never happen unless they change the rules.. if my memory serves me right, pushrods and anything bigger than a v8 and flat 6s are not allowed.. thats kinda why the magazine is called SPORT COMPACT CAR.. but in recent years they have bent the rules a lil.. allowing vipers and 360 modenas.. so who knows what will happen.. but a skyline won ? i guess thats good, 1st time a skyline has won, i always read about how a skyline puked its guts out in the track events..
    There is no rule that excludes V8's and above. Foe example the RX7 in this years contest had a Corvette LS1 motor swapped into it. There are many years with V8's and the Modena was not what I would consider "in recent years" it was in the 2001 issue... There have been Corvettes and Mustangs in the past as well... Most of the cars in the contest every year are not Sport Compacts, thats why its NOT called the "Ultamate Sport Compact Challenge"...

Edit: Here are the rules (I just went and got the magazine out of the other room):

Entered cars must be insured, registered and outfitted with seat belts, a fire extinguisher and a fixed roof or roll bar. Plan on using one set of Street-legal tires for all testing and being in California in June 2006 if you make the final cut...

Thats off of the entry form for the 2006 contest. There is nothing about what type of car you have to have, what kind of engine you have to have, nothing excluding exotic or pushrod cars... It just has to be a street car..period (hence the registered and insured...).
    Last edited by 04wrx4keeps; 10-29-2005 at 12:51 PM.

My point was that neither a Skyline, nor a WRC or ALMS car should be in a STREET CAR challenge. To qualify as a street car in my mind a vehicle must:

A: Have started off as a DOT legal road going car.
    B: Be equipped with an engine and driveline that is legal for use within the US on road going vehicles.
    C: Be currently registered as a street drivable vehicle in some part of the US.
    D: Be capable of reaching the track, performing the test and leaving under its own power. Street cars don't have support trailers.

The point of street tuning is to turn road cars into beastly uber machines. Starting off with a purpose built race car, or imported exotic unable to meet DOT/EPA compliance, and shoehorning it through loopholes to claim it is street legal is doing it backwards.

And the car I'd really like to see in it is the new ///M6

But Skylines are legal (not here at least)... if you get the papers for them to pass customs and what not. I think you're only allowed like 2,000 miles a year or something like that. A skyline is a street car by every definition in my mind... I dont see how its a "purpose built race car" I'd understand if we were talking about like a Japanese GT500 Skyline built by nismo or something. Im sure that skyline started out stock at one point and time and XS just modded the hell out of it?

Quote Originally Posted by amukaoen
    But Skylines are legal (not here at least)... if you get the papers for them to pass customs and what not. I think you're only allowed like 2,000 miles a year or something like that. A skyline is a street car by every definition in my mind... I dont see how its a "purpose built race car" I'd understand if we were talking about like a Japanese GT500 Skyline built by nismo or something. Im sure that skyline started out stock at one point and time and XS just modded the hell out of it?
    Exactly, and since the cars entered have to be registered and insured in the US, that means that the ones entered are legal streetcars here now too. There are pleanty of Skylines rolling around the US, Motorex makes almost their sole businsess legalizing Skylines for the streets in the USA. There are other people as well that legalize them, all you need to do is convert it to meet US inspection and safety regulations, and lots of people do it.

Any car that does not have to be designed to meet DOT and EPA regs from the factory is several steps above a simillar car that is designed for the US market. Because of the unique permits and limited allowed millage, cars imported under the exotic exhibition laws do not have to meet ALL the same regulations as a car that is DOT legal from the factory. The same goes for the engine. The resulting car is not the same as if Nissan tried to import it. The end result is a car that is lighter and more powerful than if it came out of a factory. This means you aren't comparing apples to apples running a Motorex Skyline against any car that started off as a US legal streetcar. A JDM Skyline is closer (in terms of what it can use to make power and what it doesn't have to haul around to be clean and safe) to a purpose built race car than it is to a US spec STI/Evo/Vette etc.

Any car that does not have to be designed to meet DOT and EPA regs from the factory is several steps above a simillar car that is designed for the US market. Because of the unique permits and limited allowed millage, cars imported under the exotic exhibition laws do not have to meet ALL the same regulations as a car that is DOT legal from the factory. The same goes for the engine. The resulting car is not the same as if Nissan tried to import it. The end result is a car that is lighter and more powerful than if it came out of a factory. This means you aren't comparing apples to apples running a Motorex Skyline against any car that started off as a US legal streetcar. A JDM Skyline is closer (in terms of what it can use to make power and what it doesn't have to haul around to be clean and safe) to a purpose built race car than it is to a US spec STI/Evo/Vette etc.
    uh dude, a skyline can still be made legal, so thats all that matters.. im sure if you could put wheels ,suspension and tires on a scud missile, it could be made legal some way and it would own this competition, i get your point, but the skyline is still a street car
    14.160@96.011
    90 degree weather
    airhog, removed silencer, and removed stock catback exhaust (stock DPs in place) and craptacular california 91 octane piss water

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast