Ultimate Street Car Challenge 2005 - Who do YOU think will win and why? - Page 2

View Poll Results: Who will win the 2005 Ultimate Street Car Challenge?

Voters
84. You may not vote on this poll
  • 2002 HPA Audi TT Twin-Turbo

3 3.57%
  • 2000 XS Engineering Nissan Skyline GT-R

14 16.67%
  • 1994 Toyota Supra Turbo by Brian McGaha

9 10.71%
  • 1993 Toyota MR-2 Turbo by David Vesprime

0 0%
  • 1993 Mazda RX-7 LS-1 powered by Mark Corbett

8 9.52%
  • 2004 Dyno-Comp Subaru WRX STi by Richard Garcia

21 25.00%
  • 2003 APS Mitsubishi Lancer EVO VIII by Tom Pasalacqua

15 17.86%
  • 2001 Honda S2000 Supercharged by Brett Mayes

3 3.57%
  • 1991 Acura NSX Supercharged by James Chen

4 4.76%
  • 2003 APR "EVIL-R" Mitsubishi Lancer EVO VIII

7 8.33%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on Ultimate Street Car Challenge 2005 - Who do YOU think will win and why? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I would bet dollars to donuts that the new Z06 would be AT WORST 3rd place in this competiton, bone ...

I would bet dollars to donuts that the new Z06 would be AT WORST 3rd place in this competiton, bone stock.
    Current Vehicle: 2006 Volvo S60 R Sonic Blue/Atacama
    SOLD:
    2006 Graphite Gray Evo IX
    2004 STi
    2003 SVT Cobra
    2003 SVT Lightning
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffbmx00 View Post
    my friend has a 5.0 too, they are slow, the only way to decently make them fast is to drop a v8 explorer engine in them.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by SGOSWRX
    I hate these " street car " challenges.

The STi's / WRXs usually claim 450+ hp and run mid 13s?

In the last street tuner challange that I saw the highly modded STi ran slower than a stock STi?
    I have to agree. In a current Car and Driver they had a similar type shootout with 4 cylinder turboed cars. They had that bloated overpriced, overestimated Afshar Easy Street Motorsports STI which "Claimed" 450 horses(Close to tops in the competition)...

Guess what? That dud ran SUBSTANTIALLY worse times than a STOCK STI by a wide margin and cost a staggering 90K to add insult to injury. It did however turn the 3rd quickest lap time out of 7 cars, but still lost to two EVOs and ended up in 5th place overall. Too bad another STI tuner didn't enter, I'm sure the results would have been different. Definately did nothing to represent the potential of an STI. And yes a 06 Z06 is at the top of the food chain, edging out the Viper in overall performance. Not quite up to a Ford GT in terms of numbers, but for the money, Incredible and easily the best Vette yet.
    Last edited by garrettjj; 10-21-2005 at 06:11 PM.
    95 Supra TT --BPU+ 420whp.
    05 Subaru STI --Cobb AP Stage 2 Protuned
    94 Integra GS-R --HIE/VTEC Controller.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Juice33
    I like how they left out Vettes and Mustangs or even BMWs and Mercs.

It is not an "ultimate challenge" without every one being represented, or at least given an opportunity to enter.

This is why the younger crowd thinks domestics don't handle, because of stupid competitions like this where the domestics are left out. More fuel for the ricer fire.
    Dude, it's Sport compact car magazine!! How often do they have domestic muscle in that mag? Conversely, how often do you see skylines and supras in hot rod magazine?? The test involves cars that are part of their target market. They entered cars into the competition that you might otherwise see gracing the pages of this magazine. I can't recall ever seeing a viper or Z06 or bmw or benz in SCC. If the younger crowd wants to know about domestics, let them pick up a magazine that deals with domestics. The sport compact market is dominated by Japanese imports for the most part, although this seems to be changing slowly.
    '03 WRX
    '01 2.5RS
    MODS | PICS | Dyno
    "Stuff sold by the gram is always going to be more exciting than stuff sold by the pound." - Jeremy Clarkson

Supras, GT-Rs and NSXs are not sport compacts but it just seems if you are going to have an "ultimate challenge" you should have the ultimate cars, that is what I was saying. It is articles like this that lead to the ignorance of the ricers.

That is all.
    Current Vehicle: 2006 Volvo S60 R Sonic Blue/Atacama
    SOLD:
    2006 Graphite Gray Evo IX
    2004 STi
    2003 SVT Cobra
    2003 SVT Lightning
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffbmx00 View Post
    my friend has a 5.0 too, they are slow, the only way to decently make them fast is to drop a v8 explorer engine in them.

Simply put. When all the chips fall, that NSX is unbeatable.
    My car looks just like this without the skirts and roof wing! Yeah baby!

I have the magazine. The Evo was the fastest of course.
    2009 wrx Dark grey metallic

in the past i remember there being a mustang and viper in some of the contests..

watch when the supra turns up the psi on them
    10" Nike
    Mods- Gel Pad, Shoe Cleaner
    Scooby Dooby Doo

I think the test involves more than running from a 60 punch.

I'm pretty sure that Hot Rod, Chevy High Performance and GM High Tech Performance have all done tests on the Cobalt SS S/C which is certainly an import-like car.

I also believe that MMFF did SVT Focus stuff and Mopar Magazine on the SRT-4.

I would be really interested to see how those cars compare to say...a stock M3 or a stock Porsche Cayman S and Z06. All would probably lose.
    04 Silver STi M6

Quote Originally Posted by SubaruNub
    watch when the supra turns up the psi on them
    it makes 1100hp on the dyno, but still runs 11s at the drag strip, and can't put power to the ground on a road course?? Sorry had to say it....you know I would own one in a heartbeat if i could!!
    Stock or something close to it.....

Quote Originally Posted by TurboWill
    I have the magazine. The Evo was the fastest of course.
    the EVO should have won it for sure. if his car didnt blow out on the track it would have been a pretty simple 1st place win, the EVO dominated throughout.
    they call STi's STDs because everyone is getting them.

Quote Originally Posted by soon2BWRXd
    it makes 1100hp on the dyno, but still runs 11s at the drag strip, and can't put power to the ground on a road course?? Sorry had to say it....you know I would own one in a heartbeat if i could!!
    Yeah, but what were the TRAPS? Most people know the Supra is not really a drag car(IRS), but can perform very well if set up for it. It's really a GT car in the purest sense. I have friends and vids of Stock Turbo Supras(Boltons w/ 420-460 horses) running 11.8s and lower at 120+. It's obvious that car had no traction.

http://supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=282839
    95 Supra TT --BPU+ 420whp.
    05 Subaru STI --Cobb AP Stage 2 Protuned
    94 Integra GS-R --HIE/VTEC Controller.

id say a built auto trans and a torque converter would be its best bet
    Last edited by SubaruNub; 10-26-2005 at 10:22 PM.
    10" Nike
    Mods- Gel Pad, Shoe Cleaner
    Scooby Dooby Doo

Quote Originally Posted by Gloveperson
    I would be really interested to see how those cars compare to say...a stock M3 or a stock Porsche Cayman S and Z06. All would probably lose.
    Stock M3's or Cayman's would've gotten DESTROYED. They just lack the power/handling to keep up with the cars in the contest, even the Integra. Not sure about a bone stock Z06 coming in the top three, but throw some bolt ons and simple suspension mods, plus a set of really sticky tires and it would've been interesting.

I agree the contest is kind of stupid at times, but it's still interesting to me.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast