Rx7.... - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

This is a discussion on Rx7.... within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by turbospike <snip> brand new, the 0 60 time was like 6.7, but after like 30k miles, it ...

Quote Originally Posted by turbospike
    <snip>
    brand new, the 0 60 time was like 6.7, but after like 30k miles, it droped to like 5.9 . i'm pretty sure of it. however, rx8s are definitely not for hp freaks.
    The performance was probably increased so drastically because it takes time for the Apex seals in the engine to mate properly with rotor housings, thus the compression increases and you get more power, so that sounds about right. Also, I heard that with the 3rd gen RX-7's that after about 20k miles the computer brought the car out of a "brake in" mode, increasing the power and performance, and it wouldn't surprise me if Mazda did something like that with the RX-8.

And no, RX-8 are not for hp freaks, and definately not for torque freaks.
    ~ Phu5ion ~

2004 WRX - WR Blue - AP
    1991 RX-7 Coupe - Blaze Red

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

My friend has a mazda 3 and i don't see how the interior is better then a wrx, nor do i see how the ride is better. There really isn't anything at all impressive about the mazda 3 except that its a pretty cheap car. I have driven in her mazda 3 a number of times and i don't even think it compares to the wrx at all. Thats my opinion.
    2005 WRX (Short throw shifter, lightweight pulley,STI Splitters,Tein H-Tech springs,Up/Down Pipe, ERZ Catback, Cobb Stage 2, ASA JH8 with Yokohama ES 100s) 13.680@100.46mph

I am confused as to why Mazda insists on the rotary engine. I dont know anything about it, except what I heard, which is that they are a huge pain in the a** to have. It seems like if they put a good, reliable engine in there they would be awesome. They have the looks and the ability to handle, so why not put a better engine in there? Or would that mess up its center of gravity and how it handles? Basically what the hell is the point of putting that engine in there?

*NOTE* This post has become much longer than I anticipated and I only hope there is some useful info in there, and more importantly that it is correct. Also I'm by no means a rotary expert, but I have read a lot on the RX-7 boards and if you are interested in learning more I encourage you to check them out because you will be able to ask people with a lot more knowledge than I have able rotaries.

Quote Originally Posted by Houstonwrx
    I am confused as to why Mazda insists on the rotary engine. I dont know anything about it, except what I heard, which is that they are a huge pain in the a** to have. It seems like if they put a good, reliable engine in there they would be awesome.
    Well rotaries really get a bad rap because of the 3rd gen ('93-'95 for us Americans) which came with twin turbos, and short answer is because the system wasn't designed properly. Now before I get much farther into this, I'm no expert on the 3rd gen but there were a few design issues that could be worked out. Most notably the exhaust system was way too restrictive to meet government standards. This created excessive heat in the turbos (rotaries run hotter than piston engines anyway) and before long you are getting all sorts of nasty issues and blown engines.

By design, the rotary is a very reliable engine (only three moving parts), and NA rotaries can out last the car they sit in. I own an '87 with 198k miles on the engine and it still puts out compression like the day if came from the factory, and Iíve heard of 1st gen RX-7's with over 450k miles on original engines.

Rotaries respond very well to turbos but I believe that the tolerances in tuning a turbo'd rotary are much closer than on a piston engine, mainly because of the apex seals which seal the combustion chambers. Detonation is rotary death in most cases, it will shatter the seals and the only way to fix it is to rebuild the entire engine.

They have the looks and the ability to handle, so why not put a better engine in there? Or would that mess up its center of gravity and how it handles? Basically what the hell is the point of putting that engine in there?
    Yes, another engine would probably throw off the center of gravity and handling, because a rotary engine is not much taller or wider than the bell housing of the tranny the engine is connected to. Thus, like in the RX-8, then entire engine can be located behind the front wheels which helps create a low polar moment, and low center of gravity. This helps with handling and if you test drive an RX-8 you will be amazed at how easy it is to drive, and that is because of what the Mazda engineers have been able to accomplish by using a rotary engine.
    ~ Phu5ion ~

2004 WRX - WR Blue - AP
    1991 RX-7 Coupe - Blaze Red

Right on man, I didn't know any of the above. Thanks for the quick rundown of the rotary engine....

Dig the Avater Phu5ion

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.