Tried a Chevy Cobalt.... - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

This is a discussion on Tried a Chevy Cobalt.... within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by SOUTHPAW I'd take one over a Civic Si.... ... I would probably still rock the new civic ...

Quote Originally Posted by SOUTHPAW
    I'd take one over a Civic Si....

I would probably still rock the new civic Si just because of how well rounded of a car it is with a really nice interior, great seats, navi, good brakes, handling and of course reliability.
    However, the Cobalt is a phenominal bang for buck and from what I hear with just exhaust, and s/c pulley people are seeing 13's and trap speeds that would edge out STi's
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Maybe not a stock WRX...

...but Cobb stage 2 I think would do well...until the Cobalt sprayed of course. I found a SRT-4 the other night with exhaust, BOV, not sure if anything else, and from a 35 mph roll he slowly pulled maybe 1/4-1/2 a car on me right at first and then couldn't go ANYWHERE. Stage 2 made a big difference...those Neons used to just walk away, and this one was a little modded, so I was happy to hang with him.
    Can't imagine what a Stage 2 STi would be like...
    Everything seems fast now...though at the track the other night a kid in a stock '05 WRX with muffler removed, along with back seat and trunk stripped for weight, was running 15.4@ 90, and second pass was only 15.1. I thought he would do better....I have to get up there some night just for fun to see what I can do...never been before. Stock GTO's were all doing mid 13's @ around 103!!! Plus a few bikes....one posted 8.4@162, and I'd say 70% of the cars there were sub 13 sec, plenty of sub-12's....several in the 9-10sec range...pretty humbling. But they don't drive theirs to work every day either, or have all their gear and two 12-inch subs in the back.

Quote Originally Posted by medic
    ...but Cobb stage 2 I think would do well...until the Cobalt sprayed of course. I found a SRT-4 the other night with exhaust, BOV, not sure if anything else, and from a 35 mph roll he slowly pulled maybe 1/4-1/2 a car on me right at first and then couldn't go ANYWHERE. Stage 2 made a big difference...those Neons used to just walk away, and this one was a little modded, so I was happy to hang with him.
    Can't imagine what a Stage 2 STi would be like...
    Everything seems fast now...though at the track the other night a kid in a stock '05 WRX with muffler removed, along with back seat and trunk stripped for weight, was running 15.4@ 90, and second pass was only 15.1. I thought he would do better....I have to get up there some night just for fun to see what I can do...never been before. Stock GTO's were all doing mid 13's @ around 103!!! Plus a few bikes....one posted 8.4@162, and I'd say 70% of the cars there were sub 13 sec, plenty of sub-12's....several in the 9-10sec range...pretty humbling. But they don't drive theirs to work every day either, or have all their gear and two 12-inch subs in the back.
    Cobb stageII would still get left behind pretty hard by a bolt on cobalt SS. A cobb stageII is running mid to higher 13's with traps in the 100mph area. A cobalt SS traps about 100mph stock and with intake, exhaust, pulley would probably be doing high 13's and trapping STi territory @ 103/104mph or so.
    From a dig the wrx would probably still take the win, but form a roll, I doubt it.
    Just call me Clark Kent

Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex
    Cobb stageII would still get left behind pretty hard by a bolt on cobalt SS. A cobb stageII is running mid to higher 13's with traps in the 100mph area. A cobalt SS traps about 100mph stock and with intake, exhaust, pulley would probably be doing high 13's and trapping STi territory @ 103/104mph or so.
    From a dig the wrx would probably still take the win, but form a roll, I doubt it.
    That is not true. I am on the Saturn Redline Msg board and have been on there for a long time now. The average RL runs 14.5 with alot of people actually in the upper 14s/lower 15s and a very very few in the lower 14s stock. The aftermarket is pretty weak for them right now and very very few are in the 13s. The stock RLs trap in the 95-96mph range. Someone on here just posted a 13.3@103mph in a cobb stage II wrx with an up-pipe. By the way the RL and the Cobalt SS are the same car, i think the RL is actually a touch quicker. There are a number of RL with intake, exhaust and pulley and they tend to be in the upper 13s and trap around 101mph. I have been reading up on them and stock they will take a WRX from a roll but not from a dig, modded they will be pretty even with a WRX from a roll and still lose from a dig (intake, exhaust pulley) thats if the wrx owner can cut off a low 13 pass.

here is a link to the dragracing thread on the RL forums.

http://www.redlineforums.com/forums/...splay.php?f=17
    Last edited by elohdaeh78; 11-04-2005 at 01:57 PM.
    2005 WRX (Short throw shifter, lightweight pulley,STI Splitters,Tein H-Tech springs,Up/Down Pipe, ERZ Catback, Cobb Stage 2, ASA JH8 with Yokohama ES 100s) 13.680@100.46mph

Quote Originally Posted by elohdaeh78
    That is not true. I am on the Saturn Redline Msg board and have been on there for a long time now. The average RL runs 14.5 with alot of people actually in the upper 14s/lower 15s and a very very few in the lower 14s stock. The aftermarket is pretty weak for them right now and very very few are in the 13s. The stock RLs trap in the 95-96mph range. Someone on here just posted a 13.3@103mph in a cobb stage II wrx with an up-pipe. By the way the RL and the Cobalt SS are the same car, i think the RL is actually a touch quicker. There are a number of RL with intake, exhaust and pulley and they tend to be in the upper 13s and trap around 101mph. I have been reading up on them and stock they will take a WRX from a roll but not from a dig, modded they will be pretty even with a WRX from a roll and still lose from a dig (intake, exhaust pulley) thats if the wrx owner can cut off a low 13 pass.

here is a link to the dragracing thread on the RL forums.

http://www.redlineforums.com/forums/...splay.php?f=17
    Everything I have seen stock for stock the cobalt SS is faster than the redline.
    As for the wrx running 13.3 @ 103mph that is a pretty rare trapspeed. Check on all the other wrx's with stageII or similar components running 13.3/13.4 and most are not trapping higher than 101. I ran a 13.3 and trapped 101 and that is considered a pretty strong trapspeed for my mods.

From what I have seen Cobalt SS's are trapping 98/99mph and with intake, exhaust, pulley its more like 102+mph with high 13sec passes.
    Just call me Clark Kent

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123