03 WRX vs 06 WRX
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on 03 WRX vs 06 WRX within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I had a quick race with an 06 WRX this morning on the freeway, I saw him weaving through cars ...

03 WRX vs 06 WRX

I had a quick race with an 06 WRX this morning on the freeway, I saw him weaving through cars behind me trying to get next to me. I pretended like I didn't see him and was more interested in drinking my morning coffee, but he starts revving and flooring it and letting off so I decided to give it a go. So I drop into fourth around 75-80 and push it out to about 120. I pulled about 1.5 to 2 cars on him. I thought with the 2.5 I would get smoked.
    I've got an 03 WRX w/ 5sp. and AP stage 1. I'm guesing he was stock.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Was he shifting? Maybe he's got the auto. Or maybe he's a crappy driver. Or maybe they really detuned the 2.5 they dropped in the '06s, and the AP will make a huge difference.

Probably auto or maybe bad driver. Cobb recently tested an 06 and they are putting down 200+ whp which is about the same as a Stage 1 car. Maybe the 06's are heavier but it should be a driver's race.
    2002 WRX Wagon
    2-1973 914-2.0's
    1974 914-2.0 LE

if it was brand new maybe he was still breaking it in.. but your stage one would make a difference..

stu
    maybe your car was just faster. Nice Kill

Later jeff

The 06 wieghs more. Not sure how much but it's between 100lbs and 150lbs.

I am shocked that the 06 didn't pull on you or atleast keep even with you. 1.5 cars is alot so I'm going to guess he was still breaking the car in or it was an auto.
    2002 PSM utec Stage 4
    Mods

I was suprised also. Could have been an auto but I'm sure he was trying, he provoked the race.

2.5=more weight........i really want a version 7 motor best motor subaru ever made IMO

what's this new transmission like? Is it close to sti standards?
    Why do I have to slow down for the WRX? Just because everyone says it's faster doesn't mean I Have to let it win, does it?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by evothis
    2.5=more weight........i really want a version 7 motor best motor subaru ever made IMO
    4 larger pistons, a different bore, and a different stroke really don't make that much of a weight difference.

The 2.5 may rev easier on the bottom, but the redline was cut short. That part is a big turn off for me.

Quote Originally Posted by YZFWV
    what's this new transmission like? Is it close to sti standards?
    less knotchy than STi tranny. Both of the ones I drove had the short shifter the shifts are shorter than my 02' with factory short shifter. I dont feel a big difference in shifter feel but the clutch is 100X better than my 02.

As for the race, 1.5 car lengths is way to little of a difference to say anything for sure. There are many factors that could have lead to that. I have never driven an AP stageI wrx but I can def. say the 2006 is considerably quicker than the stock ej20 wrx's.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

Nice run, I've been waiting to hear some real world experience with this car. I think I remember reading somewhere that the gear ratio's are longer in the 06, so that and the extra weight might have had something to do with it too. According to MSN the 06 is about 100-200lbs more than the previous models depending on trim, with the WRX Limited being the heavier of the two. Either way, nice kill.
    Cobb Stage 2.5 VF-34 + uppipe
    Best ET so far - 13.1@103 with a 1.81 60'

I don't see how a stage 1 could pull on it like that. Have you seen the dyno results that are being posted everywhere.

There seeing 35-55lbs of torque over a 02-05.

Quote Originally Posted by bigwrxguy
    I don't see how a stage 1 could pull on it like that. Have you seen the dyno results that are being posted everywhere.

There seeing 35-55lbs of torque over a 02-05.
    yeah, but dude.. you must remember that this is the street and we do not know all the facts... could have been break-in and not pushing it, could have not dropped an extra gear, etc... But I agree, all situations the same the 06' should have pulled or it should have been close.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

break-in. but if he drives like a prick on the hwy to catch up to, he probably isn't paying attention to factory break-in anyway.

also, if he was mt it could be a stiff,notchy shift that slowed him up. mine was super stiff first few hundred mi.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast