03 WRX vs 06 WRX - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on 03 WRX vs 06 WRX within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Its the half a liter diffrence....

Its the half a liter diffrence.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by wrxking08
    Its the half a liter diffrence.
    Yeah. That extra half liter really slows the '06 down.

Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    4 larger pistons, a different bore, and a different stroke really don't make that much of a weight difference.

The 2.5 may rev easier on the bottom, but the redline was cut short. That part is a big turn off for me.
    If i am correct, it still holds a 7000 redline.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Eli 06
    If i am correct, it still holds a 7000 redline.
    I believe it was cut to 6500. Can anyone here with an 06 verify that?

It redlines at 6500 now. Pictures on subaru.com are evidence enough.

I'd definitely trade 500 RPM for the extra torque, though.

P.S.

I Support ClubWRX
    It's just a trade off. Move the torque down low to make it driveable, but lose the pull up top. That also tells me that the 2.5 either isn't as balanced, or the valvetrain can't handle the upper revs. Odds are it's from the larger bore/stroke throwing it off balance in the upper revs.

4 larger pistons, a different bore, and a different stroke really don't make that much of a weight difference.

The 2.5 may rev easier on the bottom, but the redline was cut short. That part is a big turn off for me.
    I went ahead and bought a white 06. I did think about the weight, and got it with the tuner ready package. The hood is hella light aluminum, and the fog light covers look really cool, but I’m not sure what else they did to it weight wise.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxoby
    I went ahead and bought a white 06. I did think about the weight, and got it with the tuner ready package. The hood is hella light aluminum, and the fog light covers look really cool, but I’m not sure what else they did to it weight wise.
    All USDM WRXs and STis have an aluminum hood.

Quote Originally Posted by Jörg
    Was he shifting? Maybe he's got the auto. Or maybe he's a crappy driver. Or maybe they really detuned the 2.5 they dropped in the '06s, and the AP will make a huge difference.
    I got my 06 a week ago, and before i got it i made sure it was what i wanted. I went ahead and test-drove the legacy, and the 05 WRX. The 06 felt a lot faster, and like i said before I got the T.R. package also, that package makes it cheaper and less heavy.

All USDM WRXs and STis have an aluminum hood.
    Then whats the tr package all about?

Then whats the tr package all about?
    I believe the TR is actually stripped down. Manual climate control and such. Designed to save money rather than increase speed.

I Support ClubWRX
    It's just a trade off. Move the torque down low to make it driveable, but lose the pull up top. That also tells me that the 2.5 either isn't as balanced, or the valvetrain can't handle the upper revs. Odds are it's from the larger bore/stroke throwing it off balance in the upper revs.

The pull up top hasn't changed, as far as I know. The previous 2.0L wasn't doing much beyond about 6,200RPM anyway. The new motor just gets you there much faster, but the upper range is just as good (if not better) than the outgoing 2.0L motor. I'm not sure about the new lower redline, but I imagine that reflashes will bump it up to 7,000RPM or beyond without consequence. A turboback and reflash on the '06 should make it easily match a Cobb Stage 2 pre-'06 WRX, if not beat it. The new motor is teh win.
    "Did you sleep well?"
    "No, I made a couple of mistakes."
    -- Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Jörg
    I believe the TR is actually stripped down. Manual climate control and such. Designed to save money rather than increase speed.
    So you would probably buy an 05 rather than an 06 like everyone else in the world well i really like my 06, enough to not let it bug my too much.

So you would probably buy an 05 rather than an 06 like everyone else in the world well i really like my 06, enough to not let it bug my too much.
    Oh hell no. I wish I had an '06. I love my '05, but I'd trade it for an '06 in a heartbeat if I could.

Quote Originally Posted by Integra96
    The pull up top hasn't changed, as far as I know. The previous 2.0L wasn't doing much beyond about 6,200RPM anyway. The new motor just gets you there much faster, but the upper range is just as good (if not better) than the outgoing 2.0L motor. I'm not sure about the new lower redline, but I imagine that reflashes will bump it up to 7,000RPM or beyond without consequence. A turboback and reflash on the '06 should make it easily match a Cobb Stage 2 pre-'06 WRX, if not beat it. The new motor is teh win.
    yah that gives me the heebeejeebees!!!!!! Im really excited

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast