1999-2001 Audi S4 1.8T's

This is a discussion on 1999-2001 Audi S4 1.8T's within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; how would they fare against the WRX's? I have been looking at a few 1999's and am just curious as ...

1999-2001 Audi S4 1.8T's

how would they fare against the WRX's? I have been looking at a few 1999's and am just curious as to what your opinions on it are.

EDIT: A4 NOT S4!! my bad.
    Last edited by boostedimpreza; 10-08-2005 at 09:58 PM. Reason: A4 not S4

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I thougt that old s4's were 2.7t not 1.8=that is just a normal a4. And i had a 2001 1.8t a4 and it is slooooooooooooooooooooooooooowwwww. As slow as a moped when it is pulling a trailor. If you want something that can keep up with a wrx that is not ur car. However it is nice for looking and has nicer options that wrx.
    Vibrant cat-back exhaust. Black silver rim ADR 18"/ kuhmo 225/40/18. kenwood deck, 2 12" kenwood excelons w/ 1100W kenwood amp. Cobb acessport------------coming soon

for a turbo car, the 1.8t isnt that quick, but with some modification, they can be made pretty quick.
    Current: '99 Honda Civic EX Sedan
    Someday: '02/'03 Subaru Wrx

vw audi turbos are not to be immediately dismissed, with a nice exhaust, an intake, and a chip, those things will move. they will give a wrx a run for its money and it shouldnt be surprising to lose to a 1.8t from a roll.
    <= i plan on abducting her in the wag

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Kooyulator
    vw audi turbos are not to be immediately dismissed, with a nice exhaust, an intake, and a chip, those things will move. they will give a wrx a run for its money and it shouldnt be surprising to lose to a 1.8t from a roll.
    hp?? it should be right up there in the 220-230 area, right? im too lazy to research

Quote Originally Posted by boostedimpreza
    how would they fare against the WRX's? I have been looking at a few 1999's and am just curious as to what your opinions on it are.

EDIT: A4 NOT S4!! my bad.
    I used to have a '99 A4 with chip, exhaust, coilovers, etc. Handled very well and moved out decently. Power, at the time, was about 210hp crank, with about 245fl/lbs. There was almost no turbo lag at all and the turbo hit hard when chipped, so it felt faster than it was. I think they have some slightly more powerful chips (or add ons for chips) that raise the power another 10 hp or so.

That being said, as someone said earlier, from a roll they move pretty well. Some of the turbo swapped cars make between 240 and 300 crank on "Kits", but with lots of torque. This is without going custom. The custom guys are getting 400 to 500hp, but with TONS of money. Internals on the motor are good to about 330ish hp before you wanna investigate upgrading.

Now for the bad news. I was fixing the car every month for something different from about 50k miles on.

Trouble spots are the front control arms...all 8 of them (4 per side, 2 upper, 2 lower). The ball joints suck, squeek, fail, etc. I wound up replacing them all in my driveway at one point or another. www.ecstuning.com will be your friend as they sell them far far cheaper than the dealer. They sell everything far cheaper than the dealer.

The ignition amplifier died on me causing me to have misfires until I could diagnose the issue. Think VW coilpack issue, except slightly different as ignition amp controls the coils on the Audi and the VW coilpacks had their own electronics that failed. The result is the same, though.

The sunroof guide links broke causing me to have to remove the entire sunroof assembly and replace to plastic guides. I have pics somewhere. It sucked.

The cruise control died at 50k miles.

I constantly had a VAC leak causing a CEL that the dealer couldn't even find.

The timing belt HAS to be changed at 60k miles. They say 105k, but it will NOT make it that far and it's an interference engine...you figure out what happens when it breaks.

All in all, it's a great car and fun to drive when modded but it can quickly bury you, financially, in repair expenses. Unless of course you're a mechanic or you have a line on cheap parts.

Don't hesitate to let me know if you've got any questions, but if you're buying definitely find out when the timing belt and water pump where last changed.

If you maintain it, it will run forever...there's a guy on www.audiworld.com who had over 200k miles on his 1.8T over a year and a half ago and it had been highly modded since 10k miles...

wow thank you for the details, griswold - are the problems you experienced common with other A4's? just about what times would be attainable in the 1/4mi with an moderately modded a4 like yours (just to give an idea of quick it can be)?

Quote Originally Posted by boostedimpreza
    wow thank you for the details, griswold - are the problems you experienced common with other A4's? just about what times would be attainable in the 1/4mi with an moderately modded a4 like yours (just to give an idea of quick it can be)?
    It depends, somewhat, on the luck of the draw, but lets just say they're not *uncommon* problems, unfortunately...

Chipped, Exhaust, etc, you're looking at high 14's in the quarter, but it feels a lot faster due to all of the torque hitting at like 2000 rpm! Fun car, even if it's not super fast. Big turbo kits can be formidable, though.

My good friend had a 99.5 A4 with a T28 turbo. That thing was damn fast. It had something like 270 hp to the wheels. With the stock turbo the A4's are slow, but they can certainly be made fast. Audi's are very nice cars, but they're pig heavy in my opinion.
    Try not, do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda
    Mods

srock crank hp on the 1.8t a4 was 150 until 2001 when it was bumped to 170.
    Why do I have to slow down for the WRX? Just because everyone says it's faster doesn't mean I Have to let it win, does it?