Info on an R32
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on Info on an R32 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I was told that I would get walked by an R32 with exhaust and chipped and Im just up/dp what ...

Info on an R32

I was told that I would get walked by an R32 with exhaust and chipped and Im just up/dp what do you guys think, because I dont think Im gonna have my accesport in time for this run.
    Cobb Stage two and a half.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Maybe. If it's from a roll, most likely. They're 240 crank hp and you're 227 crank hp. From what I understand, the Haldex system makes them fwd biased where the rear wheels only have power transfered to them when the front ones are slipping, which in turn frees up more power while it's rolling, and doesn't cause a significant power loss like full time AWD.

But I could be wrong...some one could be feeding me a load of **** and making me look like I know what I'm talking about right now when I have no clue...

Hey, it sounds like some of the members I know on this site.
    Why do I have to slow down for the WRX? Just because everyone says it's faster doesn't mean I Have to let it win, does it?

Assuming both drivers are equally skilled you get beat from a dig, but not by much. From a roll though, dont even bother, you're history.

The R32 runs the 1/4mile a tad faster than a stock wrx (14.1 vs 14.3) and even though you are boosted and respond well to that up/dp combo, the R32 responds suprisingly well to bolt on for an N/A vehicle. With your mods you are probably doing very high 13's to very low 14's whereas an exhaust and chipped R32 will be doing mid - high 13's. I have seen exhaust and chipped times ranging from 13.4-13.9 so it really depends, but I would count on him being a consistant 13.7 or so car.
    So yes, from a dig, you likely to get beat unless you can out-launch and out-drive him.

From a roll, your toast. Stock the car traps higher than you are trapping with your current mods. With exhaust and chip he will be trapping over 100mph which is something that you cannot touch with your mods... Even with stageII accessport you would be close, but you still wouldn't win. The torque and gearing advantage that car has plus the extra power it is making just doesn't make for a good outcome on your part.
    But yeah, run from a dig and see how you do... You might very well out drive him.
    But if you dont want to lose, dont bother from a roll.

IB people complain about the R32 being an overpriced POS and then start comparing the STi to the R32
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

I just raced my buddies R32. I think hes stock and I'm STG 2. I took him from 50-90ish.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob420
    I just raced my buddies R32. I think hes stock and I'm STG 2. I took him from 50-90ish.
    i could see this easily happening. being that the r32 was stock and from a roll, probably lost by a car or so, if u went any higher, r32 would start walking you... and at 128mph, you would start flying past him. Stock r32's have a governor at 128mph.
    my R32 on CarDomain

Golf R32
    2004 SL500
    2000 M5 - SS exhaust, Xpipe, AFE Cold Air Intakes, Proj39 Angel Eyes, Carbon Fiber kidney grills, LED taillights... 111mph traps. soon, dinan ecu upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex
    , the R32 responds suprisingly well to bolt on for an N/A vehicle.
    I've heard the exact opposite, which I tend to believe because these come pretty aggressively tuned from the factory. It seems that the reason it looks good on paper is they are disabling the awd, it appears to have a huge bottleneck after a few bolt ons.
    Having driven both, I really have a hard time believing they are faster than a stg 2 WRX. I think if you give both cars the gs-d3’s, the wrx gains quite an advantage. In all fairness, I only ran the car to maybe 70mph mainly focusing on handling (I think drag racing is a bit boring in comparison). maybe I would feel a bit different with different road conditions. My friend works at an audi/vw dealership and he took one home for the weekend. We both felt the same way. I am sorry I don’t have any “bench-seat-racer” data to back my claims up; just empirical data.

Ian
    Quote Originally Posted by ellinopedo182
    i could see this easily happening. being that the r32 was stock and from a roll, probably lost by a car or so, if u went any higher, r32 would start walking you... and at 128mph, you would start flying past him. Stock r32's have a governor at 128mph.
    Are you serious the R32 stops at 128? that seems low for that car

Registered User uncle lewie wrx's Avatar
    Wow I did not know that. My buddy has one, gotta ask him if he knew that?
    Uncle Lewie
    06 Aspen White STi w/ Gold BBS's

I would put alot of money on a Stage II wrx walking a stock R32 from a roll. A stock wrx traps 3 or so mph slower then an R32 so a stock wrx would get walked but a Stage II traps probably 3 mph faster then at stock R32. I would think that however badly a stock r32 can beat a stock wrx is equally how badly a stock r32 would be beaten by a stage II wrx.
    2005 WRX (Short throw shifter, lightweight pulley,STI Splitters,Tein H-Tech springs,Up/Down Pipe, ERZ Catback, Cobb Stage 2, ASA JH8 with Yokohama ES 100s) 13.680@100.46mph

are we tlking about r32 gt-s or gtr?

were talking about r32 golf my man.
    <= i plan on abducting her in the wag

Quote Originally Posted by elohdaeh78
    I would put alot of money on a Stage II wrx walking a stock R32 from a roll. A stock wrx traps 3 or so mph slower then an R32 so a stock wrx would get walked but a Stage II traps probably 3 mph faster then at stock R32. I would think that however badly a stock r32 can beat a stock wrx is equally how badly a stock r32 would be beaten by a stage II wrx.
    yes to a point, but even a stage II wrx starts losing breathe in the triple digits while the r32 keeps going.

well from a stop, a stock r32 will beat a stock wrx by probably 2 cars to the quarter. they are both awd, so they get that advantage, and u see the r32s top end after the 1/8th i would expect. Now the same would happen with a stage II against a stock r32, but after the 1/4 the r32 should start reeling in again.

I have no idea why the limiter is at 128mph... All i know is after i got my chip and intake, and governor raised, i was able to hit 165mph racing an evo (which i won). Now i dont know what the correct speed was, it said 165 on the speedo.

peter
    my R32 on CarDomain

Golf R32
    2004 SL500
    2000 M5 - SS exhaust, Xpipe, AFE Cold Air Intakes, Proj39 Angel Eyes, Carbon Fiber kidney grills, LED taillights... 111mph traps. soon, dinan ecu upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by BigClunke
    I've heard the exact opposite, which I tend to believe because these come pretty aggressively tuned from the factory. It seems that the reason it looks good on paper is they are disabling the awd, it appears to have a huge bottleneck after a few bolt ons.
    Having driven both, I really have a hard time believing they are faster than a stg 2 WRX. I think if you give both cars the gs-d3’s, the wrx gains quite an advantage. In all fairness, I only ran the car to maybe 70mph mainly focusing on handling (I think drag racing is a bit boring in comparison). maybe I would feel a bit different with different road conditions. My friend works at an audi/vw dealership and he took one home for the weekend. We both felt the same way. I am sorry I don’t have any “bench-seat-racer” data to back my claims up; just empirical data.

Well I guess it depends on your definition of a "good response". The R32 will run a 13.9/14.0 with a good driver. With intake, exhaust, and ECU reflash they will run mid 13's. Granted, that is not nearly as good as our wrx's do, but exhaust and reflash knocking off half a second from an N/A car is pretty decent imo.
    Ofcouse there are also several other cars that will do that too: (maxima's, LS1, LT1, 4.6stang, RSX-S etc.)
    Last edited by DTR rex; 10-09-2005 at 04:33 PM.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex
    Well I guess it depends on your definition of a "good response". The R32 will run a 13.9/14.0 with a good driver. With intake, exhaust, and ECU reflash they will run mid 13's. Granted, that is not nearly as good as our wrx's do, but exhaust and reflash knocking off half a second from an N/A car is pretty decent imo.
    Ofcouse there are also several other cars that will do that too: (maxima's, LS1, LT1, 4.6stang, RSX-S etc.)
    open up the exhaust and possibly cams i/ecu/pulleys and i dont see why a low 13 is possible with some of the heavy ass interior removed...the wrx's are easier to put into the low teens

i raced a R32 once in my BT Passat and he held nicely from 20-40 until i hit boost and walked away...from a stop i couldnt catch him though pwnd by no traction, not a problem in my new DSM
    1994 Talon TSi - SMIC, 16G and Bolt Ons - Awaiting More Fuel and Tune
    2000 B5 GLS 1.8T Every Bolt On + Tuned GT28RS - R.I.P

Ive raced my best freinds R32 with an exhuast (catback), chip, intake- I beat him from a stop, and from a 70 mph roll. I didnt think i would, especially from 70, but i did. They're nice cars, just heavy.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.