Info on an R32 - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on Info on an R32 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by urabus726 Ive raced my best freinds R32 with an exhuast (catback), chip, intake- I beat him from ...

Quote Originally Posted by urabus726
    Ive raced my best freinds R32 with an exhuast (catback), chip, intake- I beat him from a stop, and from a 70 mph roll. I didnt think i would, especially from 70, but i did. They're nice cars, just heavy.

what do you have done to your wrx? you should have at least a stage 2, especially with an R32 with those mods. If your stock, and he has those mods, your friend sucks at driving.
    my R32 on CarDomain

Golf R32
    2004 SL500
    2000 M5 - SS exhaust, Xpipe, AFE Cold Air Intakes, Proj39 Angel Eyes, Carbon Fiber kidney grills, LED taillights... 111mph traps. soon, dinan ecu upgrade.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Or just maybe, people have been over rating them...
    Has anyone noticed that just about everyone that has driven one has had close to the same experience? It seems like the only people that think they are as good as they are claimed to be are some R32 owners and magazines. It is way more badass car than about 80% of everything on the road, but, I haven't felt it has lived up to the hype by a long shot. Just some food for though….
    But man, it has a nice interior.

on vwvortex, people are hitting easy 13's with stock r32's. theyre damn quick and just extremely nice cars. i myself have owned vw before and have a few friends in that community but volkswagen is just not for me. i dont like the hefty and hard feeling to almost every german car out there these days. i'll just stick to my japanese car.. but yeah these runs are all pretty much the same. depends on driver's skill really. seems like stg2 is about where an intake-exhaust-chip r32 would be at with differences throughout the speed spectrum. whatever man, theyre both good but different cars. its not always a race.
    <= i plan on abducting her in the wag

I have driven both a stock and bolton R32. A stage II wrx will easily beat a R32. Boltons do next to nothing for an R32 as well. Chip adds maybe 6-8 hp, intake maybe a couple and the exhaust on them stock is not very restrictive. Have you ever heard one? There is actually a valve in it that opens when the air is moving fast enough to free up the pathway and it gets louder. A common mod is to just tweak that valve so it is always open. With chip, intake and the exhaust mod my buddy ran a 13.9 at like 99 mph with a 1.8 60'. That engine relaly is maxed out stock. Even wtih a supercharger an R32 only runs like low 13s and high 12s. Its a very heavy car with some very hevy wheels (27 lbs per rim!). Alot of the high 13 second R32s you see probbaly have a few boltons but most importantly, lighter wheels, preferably 17s. R32 is a great car for what it is, but no more. That is all.

Quote Originally Posted by ellinopedo182
    what do you have done to your wrx? you should have at least a stage 2, especially with an R32 with those mods. If your stock, and he has those mods, your friend sucks at driving.
    Yeah, im Cobb Stage 2. Ive driven his car and it felt faster than my rex, i guess due to his torque, but i can easily pull on him at any speed. At the track his best time to date is a 14.4 (Bristol).

Quote Originally Posted by wizzman
    I have driven both a stock and bolton R32. A stage II wrx will easily beat a R32. Boltons do next to nothing for an R32 as well. Chip adds maybe 6-8 hp, intake maybe a couple and the exhaust on them stock is not very restrictive. Have you ever heard one? There is actually a valve in it that opens when the air is moving fast enough to free up the pathway and it gets louder. A common mod is to just tweak that valve so it is always open. With chip, intake and the exhaust mod my buddy ran a 13.9 at like 99 mph with a 1.8 60'. That engine relaly is maxed out stock. Even wtih a supercharger an R32 only runs like low 13s and high 12s. Its a very heavy car with some very hevy wheels (27 lbs per rim!). Alot of the high 13 second R32s you see probbaly have a few boltons but most importantly, lighter wheels, preferably 17s. R32 is a great car for what it is, but no more. That is all.

R32 has ran as low as 13.2 @ 102-103 with just a chip intake and free exhaust mod + rear seats taken out, thats under 600 bucks of mods. Those 13.2 have been hit by 2 different drivers, but most drivers hit 13.4-13.6 (but closer to 98-101mph) with those mods and without the rear seats taken out. Add cams and headers, and the previous mods and i don't see why the r cant hit 12's. Sure the price of modifications starts to get higher but thats what happens with NA cars compared to FI cars.

Even with a supercharger, the R32 will run high 12's and at traps of 107-108mph, thats a VF supercharger. get a turbocharger for about $1500 more, and expect better times and traps.

The R32 isnt a car meant for speeds, or straight lines, but rather all around, pretty much what the STI is, just that the sti has a bit more power than refinement.

I'm not terribly biased though, because i do have a wrx too that runs 12's easily. And within this month hoping for mid 11's.
    my R32 on CarDomain

Golf R32
    2004 SL500
    2000 M5 - SS exhaust, Xpipe, AFE Cold Air Intakes, Proj39 Angel Eyes, Carbon Fiber kidney grills, LED taillights... 111mph traps. soon, dinan ecu upgrade.

my friend just got his r32 in last night....it felt pretty peppy when we took a drive in it.
    his current mods:
    intake
    cat-back
    ecu
    pulleys
    awd ecu(transfers more power to the rear consistently)
    ...we found that out as it spins the tires in hard shifts
    he's also slammed with full coilovers
    19" axxis wheels(they're so hot!)

my mods(soon installed..hopefully I've had em for a few months)
    04 WRX:
    aem cai
    turboxs rfl bov
    samco I/C hoses
    sti u/p
    helix catless d/p
    blitz nur spec-r catback
    Accessport stg 2

by the time I install he'll be used to the car/clutch/awd setup..he just came out of a saleen so he doesnt know what traction is really. P.S. he's no joe schmo and knows how to drive.... I'm pretty good myself..neither one of us are john force though.

I'll post up any races we get in.....

whats your guys take on the race....roll and a dig?

Quote Originally Posted by tool1128

tell him to ditch the 19's if he wants a better chance

drivers race from stop, i say he walks away from a roll
    1994 Talon TSi - SMIC, 16G and Bolt Ons - Awaiting More Fuel and Tune
    2000 B5 GLS 1.8T Every Bolt On + Tuned GT28RS - R.I.P

If you are a good driver I don't think he has a chance (it will still be fairly close), then again I have been saying I think the r32 is overrated because of my personal experience with them and what my vw friends have been saying about how they take to mods based on their observations.

keep us posted..

I predict...

from a stop you'll win by 2-3 cars if you get a good launch.

from a roll it'll be pretty even, but id give the nod to the R32..

good luck
    they call STi's STDs because everyone is getting them.

Youll smoke him, stop or roll....but for good measure, i would take the cai and bov off.

thanks for the confidence!
    whatever the case may be it will be the closest I've been to any of his cars he's owned before

we are both good drivers so it will be interesting to see what happens but it will probably be a week cause he wants to learn the car first...in the mean time someone spot me the money for a protune j/k I'll update after we race

Thread jacking at its finest
    Cobb Stage two and a half.

Quote Originally Posted by tool1128
    my friend just got his r32 in last night....it felt pretty peppy when we took a drive in it.
    his current mods:
    intake
    cat-back
    ecu
    pulleys
    awd ecu(transfers more power to the rear consistently)
    ...we found that out as it spins the tires in hard shifts
    he's also slammed with full coilovers
    19" axxis wheels(they're so hot!)

my mods(soon installed..hopefully I've had em for a few months)
    04 WRX:
    aem cai
    turboxs rfl bov
    samco I/C hoses
    sti u/p
    helix catless d/p
    blitz nur spec-r catback
    Accessport stg 2

by the time I install he'll be used to the car/clutch/awd setup..he just came out of a saleen so he doesnt know what traction is really. P.S. he's no joe schmo and knows how to drive.... I'm pretty good myself..neither one of us are john force though.

First of all, how does your car compare to a cobb stage II and what kind of times can u see?

Hmm... itll be a very close race, imo. the 13.2-13.5's runs that are on vwvortex are on cars without pulleys, awd ecu, and catback. I would expect numbers closer to 13.2's with his setup, maybe better if he gets rid of the 19's.

The AWD ECU actually makes the car a RWD Bias AWD rather than the stock FWD bias AWD. Its an awesome mod that gives better 0-60feets. Thats a great mod to put in S/C R32s because it will easily decrease the times at least .1-.3 seconds. Now, on a non FI r32, i really don't know what kind of power increase can be seen.

regardless, i think it will be very close, and the R32 will shine probably only after 100mph. The traps on the r32 will easily be in the 103mph and higher.

I don't really know who will win, only that it will be close, real close.
    my R32 on CarDomain

Golf R32
    2004 SL500

Quote Originally Posted by amukaoen
    keep us posted..

I predict...

from a stop you'll win by 2-3 cars if you get a good launch.

from a roll it'll be pretty even, but id give the nod to the R32..

good luck
    you do understand the R32 is also AWD? 2-3 cars from a stop to what speed? i think it will be closer than from a stop, especially to about 100mph.
    my R32 on CarDomain

Golf R32
    2004 SL500

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.