06 Sti vs. LS1 Trans Am from a roll
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on 06 Sti vs. LS1 Trans Am from a roll within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Last weekend cruising home from the speedway a guy in a convertible T/A (last gen) goes flying by me then ...

06 Sti vs. LS1 Trans Am from a roll

Last weekend cruising home from the speedway a guy in a convertible T/A (last gen) goes flying by me then slows down to about 80 mph. We were on the 215 freeway and I get along side of him. I'm not exactly sure how fast we were going but all I remember is that the tach was a 4k (I think I was in 5th?), anyways we both punch it and right away I pull a car length ahead. We get up to about 110 and he's pretty far back, it was dark but maybe he was about 6 carlengths behind. Later we both got off at the same exit and we were both in the first position at the light. He signals me to roll down my window and he says "Wow that thing is fast! Is it stock?" I reply "Yep!". He says "Nice car!" The light turned green and I took off, I pulled ahead very quickly, not sure if was racing that time. What's funny is I had 3 people in my car and he was by himself. How much HP do those have?
    Jamie
    2009 WRX Prem Hatch:
    Cobb stage II, Kartboy SS, SPT Catback, Cobb DP, WL Sways, Perrin/AVO Endlinks, Conti DWS

Previous rides:
    99 Civic Si (RIP), 2004 WRX, 2006 STI Cobb stage II

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

you sure it was an ls1? those are rated 325 i believe, and make about 290 at the wheels
    14.160@96.011
    90 degree weather
    airhog, removed silencer, and removed stock catback exhaust (stock DPs in place) and craptacular california 91 octane piss water

Quote Originally Posted by blackrex02
    you sure it was an ls1? those are rated 325 i believe, and make about 290 at the wheels
    Well I never saw his exhaust, it was really dark out. And if it was a V6 I don't think he would have be able to hang with me at all. His motor didn't sound like a V6. But aren't those cars a lot heavier then ours? especially a convertible. Maybe it was an automatic? I was really surprised I pulled him.

I just did a search and they have 325 hp and 350 torque. With a 4 speed auto they only do the 1/4 in 15.0, kind of pathetic...

http://www.theautochannel.com/vehicl...ergap0142.html
    Jamie
    2009 WRX Prem Hatch:
    Cobb stage II, Kartboy SS, SPT Catback, Cobb DP, WL Sways, Perrin/AVO Endlinks, Conti DWS

Previous rides:

Quote Originally Posted by jamie007
    Well I never saw his exhaust, it was really dark out. And if it was a V6 I don't think he would have be able to hang with me at all. His motor didn't sound like a V6. But aren't those cars a lot heavier then ours? especially a convertible. Maybe it was an automatic? I was really surprised I pulled him.

I just did a search and they have 325 hp and 350 torque. With a 4 speed auto they only do the 1/4 in 15.0, kind of pathetic...

the test only give u what thier supposed to do, but i seen autos run mid-low 14's

nice kill

I could def. see this with an automatic convertable T/A. They run very low 14's to high 13's (with a good driver) and only trap about 104/105mph or so. The 4speed auto in that car is not great for downshifting, I had a friend with an auto vert. T/A and sometimes he would floor it and the trans would only kick down one gear and the car didn't feel "that" impressive.
    Like night and day compared to a 6spd T/A
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

Could have been an LT1. Even if it was an auto they weren't racing from a stop. An LS1 auto or not has a ton of top end.

Quote Originally Posted by dan240
    Even if it was an auto they weren't racing from a stop. An LS1 auto or not has a ton of top end.
    This is true, BUT they trap right around STi area (104/105) and like I said above, the tranny in that car has been known to not downshift all that great in certain situations.
    So I could def. see the STi beating it, but the thing that makes me think it might also be an LT1 is because the STi had 3 extra people and the he said the T/A was 6 cars behind.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

15 seconds? Not hardly. LS1 A4 can hit mid 13s with a good driver, high 13s with not so great drivers, which is far from 15s.

I've also seen many LS1 A4s hitting 300+ rwhp on the dyno.

I call total BS about LS1's being 15 or even 14 second cars. my friend has a LS1 Z28, BONE STOCK, A4. He ran a 13.4@108 w/ a 2.0 60' on stock goodyear screamin eagles. If it was a LS1 from a roll and the guy had the gas on the ground he shoulda won. Trust me i lub subarus but LS1's+roll=fast.
    07 Mercedes-Benz E350
    Saks Fifth Ave Edition

04 WRX VF34+TMIC SOLD
    12.62@108 1.7 60'
    295whp & 302tq on Mustang Dyno
    MODS

Good kill, but I seriously dought it was an LS1. If it was, then its not running very well.
    My LS1 A4 ran mid 13s @ 105 mph bone stock.

The LS1 is definately a faster car over 100mph compared to a stock STi.
    I would bet it was an LT1 Trans Am. From the back it's very difficult to tell the difference. LT1's are fast off the line but don't have the top end speed of the LS1's.

An believe me I'm not biased towards LS1's. I've been getting bashed big time for sticking up for the STi's over at LS1GTO.com. There a group of hard core GTO's guys that argue with me when I tell them the STi is a faster car in the 1/4 mile (04 GTO vs STi). That's hard to believe but that's what I've been up against over there?

Quote Originally Posted by SGOSWRX
    Good kill, but I seriously dought it was an LS1. If it was, then its not running very well.
    My LS1 A4 ran mid 13s @ 105 mph bone stock.

The LS1 is definately a faster car over 100mph compared to a stock STi.
    I would bet it was an LT1 Trans Am. From the back it's very difficult to tell the difference. LT1's are fast off the line but don't have the top end speed of the LS1's.

An believe me I'm not biased towards LS1's. I've been getting bashed big time for sticking up for the STi's over at LS1GTO.com. There a group of hard core GTO's guys that argue with me when I tell them the STi is a faster car in the 1/4 mile (04 GTO vs STi). That's hard to believe but that's what I've been up against over there?

Hmmmm, maybe it was LT1, that makes more sense, I'm 90% sure it wasn't a V6. It was really dark with no street lights. Anyways I had fun. I'm on the hunt for a LS1 now and see what happens. I have yet to see any 1/4 times for the 06' STI's I wonder if there's any difference over the 05's.
    Jamie
    2009 WRX Prem Hatch:

Previous rides:

Not sure even an LT1 would lose by six cars by only 110, but maybe you are inflating it slightly as everyone else does.

Good kill nonetheless.

BTW, this is off topic but can someone with an STi point me to a good thread about bolt-on parts for an STi, I have decided to get an STi once I sell the Camaro and I could use some information to when I purchase it
    04 Silver STi M6

Quote Originally Posted by Gloveperson
    BTW, this is off topic but can someone with an STi point me to a good thread about bolt-on parts for an STi, I have decided to get an STi once I sell the Camaro and I could use some information to when I purchase it
    http://www.iwsti.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33264
    2005 Aspen White STi

Quote Originally Posted by Gloveperson
    Not sure even an LT1 would lose by six cars by only 110, but maybe you are inflating it slightly as everyone else does.

Good kill nonetheless.

I raced a stock LT1 corvette on the freeway at 80mph when I had my modded 04' WRX and pulled away from it very easily. And the same result with LT1 Z28's... I don't know why it is so hard to beleive that an sti which does a 1/4' in the low 13's can't beat a car the does the quarter in the mid 13's. Maybe it was all a dream... Maybe he didn't know how to drive, who knows.... I know my passengers thought it was funny...
    Jamie
    2009 WRX Prem Hatch:

Previous rides:

I raced a stock LT1 corvette on the freeway at 80mph when I had my modded 04' WRX and pulled away from it very easily. And the same result with LT1 Z28's... I don't know why it is so hard to beleive that an sti which does a 1/4' in the low 13's can't beat a car the does the quarter in the mid 13's. Maybe it was all a dream... Maybe he didn't know how to drive, who knows.... I know my passengers thought it was funny...
    I am not disputing that it could win, except the six car legnth thing. To pull six cars, you would need about 100-200 more HP on a car to pull about 100 feet.

BTW, thanks a lot for the STi information!
    04 Silver STi M6

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast