Holy Christ the AMG C32 is fast. - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on Holy Christ the AMG C32 is fast. within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by AngelBoy i hate how horsepower masks so many ugly truths about a car. AMG's never have the ...

Quote Originally Posted by AngelBoy
    i hate how horsepower masks so many ugly truths about a car.

AMG's never have the ride/handling combo's that BMW M's have. i can accept a harsh ride in a WRX or STi, but not in a luxury car that almost costs $100k. at that price, i want everything. AMG's also have grabby, touchy brakes, sloppy steering, and their interiors suck. not to mention classic Mercedez unreliability.

i honestly think Mercedez is just trying to justify their price tags by putting too much horsepower in a crappy car.

so you're saying you'd prefer your mazda 3 to an amg........gmafb......and like the other guy pointed out, a c32 is more like 52K (vs 100), and used you can snag them for high 30's. My dad was always a BMW guy for years (had the old 635 m's in the 80's, m3's, 2 m5's but he switched over to MB having several SL600's, a 500, and now an e55. He also had an audi s8 for awhile but dumped it to get another MB. He says he likes the cars better than the bmw's now. I guess everyone has their own tastes for what they do and don't prefer.
    Volvo S60 R (as of July 05)

Formerly ka: BlackWrx
    SOLD 7/05----04 Silver STI
    SOLD: 02 black sedan, Lots of mods

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Silver04Sti
    My dad has an E55 and I've owned an sti and wrx (stock, then modded) in the past and I'll tell you right now there is NO way a stock wrx could hang with one, no way in hell. Matter of fact my sti would get crushed by one pretty bad. You're gonna need at least a sti with utec and exhaust to have a prayer imo.
    They are mid to low 12 sec cars stock and that's with the amg speedshift auto tranny so I doubt you could shift a manual nearly as fast and as smooth as that car shifts.
    On the topic of the C32, I'm slapping myself for getting the S60R because recently I've really been looking around at the C32's, like one guy said you can get a few upgrades and be at 400hp. I've seen C32's both on ebay and cars/autotrader.com anywhere from $30k (for an '02 with 35-40k miles) up to $37k for an 03 with 17k (but no navigation) and others with lower miles in the $39-41k range used. Telling you guys, that is my next car. I'm sick of shifting...lol...and this auto with the amg speedshift is just what I need :-)
    +1 on the C32 AMG for you.

I have always been impressed with the Volvo S60-R because it looks simple and clean and has some nice power numbers... But recently I ran one from a dig and beat him by a considerable amount and even though they only run lower 14's I guess I expected more out of the car. I have not driven one, but the more I look at it, the less impressed I become with the bland interior.
    How is the tranny though? I heard they are really smooth and easy to work with.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex
    +1 on the C32 AMG for you.

I have always been impressed with the Volvo S60-R because it looks simple and clean and has some nice power numbers... But recently I ran one from a dig and beat him by a considerable amount and even though they only run lower 14's I guess I expected more out of the car. I have not driven one, but the more I look at it, the less impressed I become with the bland interior.
    How is the tranny though? I heard they are really smooth and easy to work with.
    Mine has the sport kit (Volvo's idea of a body kit) which makes the car look really nice. I am not a fan of body kits but this one actually makes the car look quite a bit different than the typical one. Yea, I've read the car runs a 14.0 @ 98 so its definitely slower than my sti and does not handle nearly as well. The interior is nice imo, the leather seats are really comfy and the car has all kinds of cool features (auto wipers & lights, wipers on the headlights, 3 different chassis settings, traction control that you can disable, and the stereo is the best I've ever had in a car---13 speaker surround sound). The car is roomy for the kids and is good on trips but lacks the power of the sti.....hence my thought's of looking at the C32.
    There are actually some aftermarket companies for the Volvo.....you can do ecu's and exhaust's and so forth to get the hp up over 400 and I think one of the manufacturer's recently was on the cover of one of the import car magazines with a 460hp V70 wagon (shares the same engine basically as the 60R). I think just the ecu flash will gain you 58hp or something like that (don't hang me if my numbers are off but do a search on BSR or TME). I have not read the article or seen it but someone told me about it.
    The tranny is very smooth and the 6 speed goes very nicely from gear to gear....I guess i'm just lazy with the DC traffic and like the idea of of the amg auto tranny (I'm sure it shifts much faster than my granny shifting anyway) :-) I had seen a 32 on Ebay out of Lambo Dallas with that 7k upgrade package, the car was at $32k when they obviously ended the auction early but it said with that upgrade the car was at 394hp. The only thing really holding me back is I like the AWD in the winter and the c32 (although having traction) might be somewhat of an issue if we actually get a bad winter (last year was lame).

Quote Originally Posted by Griswold
    I just can't get over the lack of a manual transmission... It's nice for an auto, with quick shifts, etc, but it's still not the same.

It's perfect for my friend, though, as he doesn't drive a manual tranny.

I agree, its not the same but for those who live in high traffic areas (and are sick of in/out clutch all day while they creep in traffic its a good fit). I've only owned one car with an auto tranny so I know where you're coming from with the 6 speed but at the same time I'm lazy in my old age :-)
    Besides, although you don't get the reaction of a 5k clutch launch, I suspect that most people cannot outshift this amg transmission so once you go to the first gear shift (1 to 2) the race (if there even was one) would be over and just get progressively worse as you continue.

Quote Originally Posted by 04wrx4keeps
    Nope, I'm going to the one in PA, I'm actually leaving for my first class in about 10 minutes. I've heard so many good things about the schools in various places throughout the country I have alot of enthuseism, wish your friend good luck for me, it deffinatly sounds like one of the best places to start in this field from everything I've read. After trying 2 different colleges so far, and hating both, hopefully this place will live up to its reputation.

Good luck with whatever you do man. I didn't know they had campuses across the country.

so you're saying you'd prefer your mazda 3 to an amg........gmafb......and like the other guy pointed out, a c32 is more like 52K (vs 100), and used you can snag them for high 30's. My dad was always a BMW guy for years (had the old 635 m's in the 80's, m3's, 2 m5's but he switched over to MB having several SL600's, a 500, and now an e55. He also had an audi s8 for awhile but dumped it to get another MB. He says he likes the cars better than the bmw's now. I guess everyone has their own tastes for what they do and don't prefer.

had a WRX w/ $10K in mods. been there, done that. yes, i'm enjoying my Mazda right now, thank you very much. notice i never bagged AMG cars, but if i won one of them, i'd sell it in a heartbeat for some sort of M.
    i don't prefer AMG's because nothing is on par, performance wise, and reliability wise, with BMW's M. i think they add all this horsepower 'cause everything else doesn't add up.

would you really think of the E55 as a serious competitor to an F430? i wouldn't: it just doesn't sound like it has the reflexes. an M5, however, has been compared to Lambo's, Porsche's, and Ferrari's many times. i just think the M division does "sport" better, even though they're always slower.
    Last edited by AngelBoy; 10-16-2005 at 07:37 PM.
    embattled, we prevail...only victory exhaled.

Quote Originally Posted by Griswold
    ??? It's $56k new for a C32, not $100k.

Yes, the handling isn't on par with an M3, but it's not designed to cater to the same buyer. If it was they'd offer a manual and a stiffer suspension. That car has no issues running an M3 or S4 to ground, down the straights. It's a smallish, luxo oriented Bahn burner designed to have a medium amount of cornering competency, while delivering a fairly cushy ride.

I thought it was not stiff enough. Frankly, my buddy plans on putting coilovers on it to stiffen it up and control some body roll.

Have you actually driven a C32? Steering is nicely weighted and *reasonably* balanced. I'll admit that it's not razor sharp, but this car is still more about luxury than hardcore sports performance.

Brakes?? Brakes in that car were great. Maybe the pad choice could be better, but in all of the comparo's that I read between the C32, S4 and M3, they preferred the C's brakes... I can't speak about how they'd hold up on the track or anything, but I had no complaints while driving the car.

Interior? Subjective. I thought it was nice, though maybe not so nice as an S4. The seats were very grippy with a lot of side bolstering that I really wish my car had more of.

Reliability? You'll get no arguments from me. I'm not buying another German car for a while. Had an Audi that literally went to pieces on me, so this can't be any worse.

I agree, though. As nice and as fast as the car is, I wouldn't drop $56k on it. No way no how.

Why so harsh on the AMG's?
    i was talking about the E55. realistically, you'd pay almost 100K for one.

and of course i haven't driven one, but i've driven many an M3, and from what I've read, the M3 would be the enthusiast's choice, and the AMG would be for someone who wants to brag about horsepower.

Amg

Any Merc. with AMG on the back is usually a bad idea to take on unless you have a pretty sick car...or a bike.

those amg's are damn fast. for sure.
    <= i plan on abducting her in the wag

had a WRX w/ $10K in mods. been there, done that. yes, i'm enjoying my Mazda right now, thank you very much. notice i never bagged AMG cars, but if i won one of them, i'd sell it in a heartbeat for some sort of M.
    i don't prefer AMG's because nothing is on par, performance wise, and reliability wise, with BMW's M. i think they add all this horsepower 'cause everything else doesn't add up.

would you really think of the E55 as a serious competitor to an F430? i wouldn't: it just doesn't sound like it has the reflexes. an M5, however, has been compared to Lambo's, Porsche's, and Ferrari's many times. i just think the M division does "sport" better, even though they're always slower.
    I didn't make a comparision of a E55 against a F430, althought it probably would be a decent race and a E55 is much cheaper than a F430. I think you're sorely underestimating the AMG's if you say they are not on "par performance wise" with the bmw---are you saying a SL65 AMG isn't competition for ANYTHING that BMW produces? gmab.......and I don't even have to bring up the mcclaren

As for the M's, my old sti would give them a good run (and out perform them in MOST categories) so what's your point......so does that mean the Subaru does "sport" better than bmw
    Last edited by Silver04Sti; 10-28-2005 at 12:24 PM.

I didn't make a comparision of a E55 against a F430, althought it probably would be a decent race and a E55 is much cheaper than a F430. I think you're sorely underestimating the AMG's if you say they are not on "par performance wise" with the bmw---are you saying a SL65 AMG isn't competition for ANYTHING that BMW produces? gmab.......and I don't even have to bring up the mcclaren

As for the M's, my old sti would give them a good run (and out perform them in MOST categories) so what's your point......so does that mean the Subaru does "sport" better than bmw
    as I'm reading your posts, I'm noticing you consider "acceleration" synonymous with "performance."

like I said, I've driven two types of M's and no AMG's; but from what I've read everywhere, AMG's seem to me like *autobahn monsters* while M's are jack of all trades, master of none.

M3 vs. C32AMG; given equal drivers, who would win on a road course and autox?

M5 vs. E55AMG; same question. In my opinion, the M's win on both accounts, simply because they're better all-around sports cars. Line them up on the autobahn, and the M's are toast; but put equal emphasis on braking, steering, balance, etc. and M's come out on top every time. When was the last time an AMG had 50/50 weight distribution?

as I'm reading your posts, I'm noticing you consider "acceleration" synonymous with "performance."

like I said, I've driven two types of M's and no AMG's; but from what I've read everywhere, AMG's seem to me like *autobahn monsters* while M's are jack of all trades, master of none.

M3 vs. C32AMG; given equal drivers, who would win on a road course and autox?

M5 vs. E55AMG; same question. In my opinion, the M's win on both accounts, simply because they're better all-around sports cars. Line them up on the autobahn, and the M's are toast; but put equal emphasis on braking, steering, balance, etc. and M's come out on top every time. When was the last time an AMG had 50/50 weight distribution?

That's interesting you say that because I was just looking at an article in the June 2005 Road and Track where they did a comparo between several cars (including the e55 and m5 and gave the #1 nod to the amg.....).....again, this is just one article and like some say individual test is individual taste but in this one they like the amg better, check it out:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....article_id=594

Again, this is only one article that quickly came up, i'm sure there are others that swing the other way, but my point is that it comes down to preferences...I like the amg's and you like the bmw's.....heck I bet if we pulled all the articles you'd see that a great portion of reviewers actually included (and liked better) the Audi product over both of these.
    Last edited by Silver04Sti; 11-04-2005 at 05:53 AM.

That's not fair, that was a previous generation M5, I thought you were talking about the new one. i'd like to see apples vs. apples, then we can have a fair pissing contest.

That's not fair, that was a previous generation M5, I thought you were talking about the new one. i'd like to see apples vs. apples, then we can have a fair pissing contest.

I don't think I've seen a recent match up of the new one...have you? if so, then share

Besides, that was done with the same models that were out (meaning that amg is the same as the current one), wait until the new amg comes out and see how it fares
    Last edited by Silver04Sti; 11-04-2005 at 07:16 AM.

wait till the c63 amg comes out, and id like to see it compare to the NEWEST M3 when that is released. I think AMG will always be a model year ahead of the M's, at least in speed and power.
    my R32 on CarDomain

Golf R32
    2004 SL500
    2000 M5 - SS exhaust, Xpipe, AFE Cold Air Intakes, Proj39 Angel Eyes, Carbon Fiber kidney grills, LED taillights... 111mph traps. soon, dinan ecu upgrade.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.