Holy Christ the AMG C32 is fast. - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on Holy Christ the AMG C32 is fast. within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; i was driving behing what i thought was an sl55 amg, until i got a bit closer, the it was ...

i was driving behing what i thought was an sl55 amg, until i got a bit closer, the it was really an sl65 amg... those cars are so damn sick. it was some older guy talking on his blackberry, wearing a nice polo, driving it 40mph in a 55mph zone.
    my R32 on CarDomain

Golf R32
    2004 SL500
    2000 M5 - SS exhaust, Xpipe, AFE Cold Air Intakes, Proj39 Angel Eyes, Carbon Fiber kidney grills, LED taillights... 111mph traps. soon, dinan ecu upgrade.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by 04wrx4keeps
    Oh my bad, for some reason I was thinking of the SLK32 AMG instead of the C32...I dont know why. I'm really hoping that after I'm done with school I can get into a job where I get to work with AMG's, someplace like a big Mercedes dealer or performance shop maybe.
    What school are you going to?

Quote Originally Posted by Eli 06
    What school are you going to?
    I just started at Wyotech
    Cobb Stage 2.5 VF-34 + uppipe
    Best ET so far - 13.1@103 with a 1.81 60'

I just started at Wyotech
    One of mine and Eli 06 good friends just started there. Are you going to the one in Laramie?
    Cobb Stage two and a half.

Quote Originally Posted by rex=my_life
    One of mine and Eli 06 good friends just started there. Are you going to the one in Laramie?
    Nope, I'm going to the one in PA, I'm actually leaving for my first class in about 10 minutes. I've heard so many good things about the schools in various places throughout the country I have alot of enthuseism, wish your friend good luck for me, it deffinatly sounds like one of the best places to start in this field from everything I've read. After trying 2 different colleges so far, and hating both, hopefully this place will live up to its reputation.
    Cobb Stage 2.5 VF-34 + uppipe
    Best ET so far - 13.1@103 with a 1.81 60'

I am looking for my next car and have found a CLK 55 AMG in my price range...along with numerous E46 M3's and S4's plus a few CTS V Cadillacs. I need to spend some time behind the wheel of them...especially the AMG. I really like the idea of it (Super fast and luxury to boot), but the automatic tranny does not appeal.
    "Winners generally are not nice people, they try to be but are immensely selfish, immensely arrogant, have total belief in their own ability and nothing else matters when they are at work." -Eddie Jordan

Nope, I'm going to the one in PA, I'm actually leaving for my first class in about 10 minutes. I've heard so many good things about the schools in various places throughout the country I have alot of enthuseism, wish your friend good luck for me, it deffinatly sounds like one of the best places to start in this field from everything I've read. After trying 2 different colleges so far, and hating both, hopefully this place will live up to its reputation.
    Yeah I went up to help him move in and we stoped by the school and a few of the shops and the place really looked like a nice place I dont think youll be disapointed. btw what clases are you taking there.
    Cobb Stage two and a half.

Ive driven my dads s430, I know it isn't anywhere near the horsepower rating of an e55 amg, but you get the feel for it, and i don't like it very much. I drove an old 1985 500SEL for like 3 years, and that thing was only real fast between like 70-120 (fastest I went). Not to mention it felt remarkably like my dads 2002. If you hit it right it would launch, but it was an auto tranny, so it didn't work out all the time. The 5.0 liter was rated at 320 or so horsepower, I know the new 5Ls are like 327 horsepower. But trust me, it doesnt feel that fast. My rex feels faster then the s430, but i'm sure i'd be obliterated past 100.

As far as AMG goes, it owns. 38 years of german engineering for racing can't be a bad thing to have behind your belt. I'm sure an e55 amg would smoke a lot of vehicles with a much higher horsepower rating. Oh, and check out Brabus' website, they had the fastest luxury sedan ever built under their belt for a while. It was an e-class that broke the 200mph marker, now thats luxury. And dvd screens! Get some in-flight entertainment whilst you break the sound-barrier.
    My poor tranny!... someone sell me an aspen white 06 sti.

Mods

Quote Originally Posted by E-Wrex
    38 years of german engineering for racing can't be a bad thing to have behind your belt. I'm sure an e55 amg would smoke a lot of vehicles with a much higher horsepower rating.

That is what attracts me to the CLK 55 AMG....that and the DVD screens in the back of the seat.
    "Winners generally are not nice people, they try to be but are immensely selfish, immensely arrogant, have total belief in their own ability and nothing else matters when they are at work." -Eddie Jordan

Quote Originally Posted by Cheers
    That is what attracts me to the CLK 55 AMG....that and the DVD screens in the back of the seat.
    I just can't get over the lack of a manual transmission... It's nice for an auto, with quick shifts, etc, but it's still not the same.

It's perfect for my friend, though, as he doesn't drive a manual tranny.

i hate how horsepower masks so many ugly truths about a car.

AMG's never have the ride/handling combo's that BMW M's have. i can accept a harsh ride in a WRX or STi, but not in a luxury car that almost costs $100k. at that price, i want everything. AMG's also have grabby, touchy brakes, sloppy steering, and their interiors suck. not to mention classic Mercedez unreliability.

i honestly think Mercedez is just trying to justify their price tags by putting too much horsepower in a crappy car.
    embattled, we prevail...only victory exhaled.

Quote Originally Posted by AngelBoy
    i hate how horsepower masks so many ugly truths about a car.

AMG's never have the ride/handling combo's that BMW M's have. i can accept a harsh ride in a WRX or STi, but not in a luxury car that almost costs $100k. at that price, i want everything. AMG's also have grabby, touchy brakes, sloppy steering, and their interiors suck. not to mention classic Mercedez unreliability.

i honestly think Mercedez is just trying to justify their price tags by putting too much horsepower in a crappy car.
    ??? It's $56k new for a C32, not $100k.

Yes, the handling isn't on par with an M3, but it's not designed to cater to the same buyer. If it was they'd offer a manual and a stiffer suspension. That car has no issues running an M3 or S4 to ground, down the straights. It's a smallish, luxo oriented Bahn burner designed to have a medium amount of cornering competency, while delivering a fairly cushy ride.

I thought it was not stiff enough. Frankly, my buddy plans on putting coilovers on it to stiffen it up and control some body roll.

Have you actually driven a C32? Steering is nicely weighted and *reasonably* balanced. I'll admit that it's not razor sharp, but this car is still more about luxury than hardcore sports performance.

Brakes?? Brakes in that car were great. Maybe the pad choice could be better, but in all of the comparo's that I read between the C32, S4 and M3, they preferred the C's brakes... I can't speak about how they'd hold up on the track or anything, but I had no complaints while driving the car.

Interior? Subjective. I thought it was nice, though maybe not so nice as an S4. The seats were very grippy with a lot of side bolstering that I really wish my car had more of.

Reliability? You'll get no arguments from me. I'm not buying another German car for a while. Had an Audi that literally went to pieces on me, so this can't be any worse.

I agree, though. As nice and as fast as the car is, I wouldn't drop $56k on it. No way no how.

Why so harsh on the AMG's?

I dont know if the C32 will eat an M3, but they are quick. One of the guys at work had one for about a year...it would run head to head with a stock 2002 T/A ram air (auto), but that was about it. it has a lot of punch to it and is a decent car, but it isnt going to set the roads on fire either....
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Hey, being the forum car ADD guy is better than being the forum OG.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Well nobody cares what you think, Seth

Quote Originally Posted by GraysonSubaru
    I dont know if the C32 will eat an M3, but they are quick. One of the guys at work had one for about a year...it would run head to head with a stock 2002 T/A ram air (auto), but that was about it. it has a lot of punch to it and is a decent car, but it isnt going to set the roads on fire either....
    Sure, there are faster cars, but gets out of it's own way for sure...

Quote Originally Posted by SilvSubieX
    Those AMG's are fast, friend of mine has a E55 AMG and he pulls on me... I am sitll stock though..

My dad has an E55 and I've owned an sti and wrx (stock, then modded) in the past and I'll tell you right now there is NO way a stock wrx could hang with one, no way in hell. Matter of fact my sti would get crushed by one pretty bad. You're gonna need at least a sti with utec and exhaust to have a prayer imo.
    They are mid to low 12 sec cars stock and that's with the amg speedshift auto tranny so I doubt you could shift a manual nearly as fast and as smooth as that car shifts.
    On the topic of the C32, I'm slapping myself for getting the S60R because recently I've really been looking around at the C32's, like one guy said you can get a few upgrades and be at 400hp. I've seen C32's both on ebay and cars/autotrader.com anywhere from $30k (for an '02 with 35-40k miles) up to $37k for an 03 with 17k (but no navigation) and others with lower miles in the $39-41k range used. Telling you guys, that is my next car. I'm sick of shifting...lol...and this auto with the amg speedshift is just what I need :-)
    Volvo S60 R (as of July 05)

Formerly ka: BlackWrx
    SOLD 7/05----04 Silver STI
    SOLD: 02 black sedan, Lots of mods

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast