awd>rwd, duh
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on awd>rwd, duh within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Not my WRX related, so move if nec. I need my wrx done, asap. While driving to p/u my daughter, ...

awd>rwd, duh

Not my WRX related, so move if nec.
    I need my wrx done, asap.

While driving to p/u my daughter, i had a run in with a absolulely beautifull chevy SS (silverado???) putruck. This was the only probly nicer truck than mine...IMO
    lowered correctly, jessejames wheels , blown and pushing 485awhp. I did not know they were awd! Red truck.
    from a roll, id cm her. Maybe wt, awd loos or because my truck shifts like a mofo...but VERY close.
    from a dig, the chevy jumps to a 2-3 car lead with in 2-3 seconds. Once my truck stops spinning, she stops the death and pulls a foot back, then shifts into second and breaks loose again . With warmer weather and all the suspention mods on my truck, she realy does not break loos to easy. But with this weather, forget it. AWD rules, period.
    fyi,
    PERFORMANCE:
    Stiegemeier's ported blower
    MOTOBLUE 9" lower pulley (also have 10" lower pulley)
    Metco aux. idler set up
    Dynatech long tube headers & high flow cats
    Borla Stinger cat back exhaust (rear exit)
    JDM phenolic spacer
    LFP power plenum
    Accufab single blade throttle body
    C&L trueflow inlet pipe
    MOTOBLUE cold air intake
    NGK TR7ix spark plugs gapped @ .036
    LFP electric fan
    170* thermostat
    Factory Tech Valve body
    Predator handheld tuner
    Custom tune by James @ runnin with the devil
    SUSPENSION:
    Hotchkis TVS (total vehicle system)
    Hotchkis/Bilstein shocks
    LFP 58" traction bars
    INTERIOR:
    Dynojet Wideband Commander
    Ford Racing harley boost gauge (column pod)
    Coustics 4 channel amp ???total watts???
    Pioneer 3-way 5x8 door speakers
    JL Audio Stealth Box (12" sub)
    Avital 4400 remote start/alarm
    EXTERIOR:
    Reflexxon cowl hood
    J-Jent chrome lower grill insert
    Undercover tonneau cover
    Line-x spray in bed liner
    black Ford overlays
    billit gas door
    tinted windows 25%
    tow package
    aftermarket tail lights
    fairly new (5,000 miles on) Hankook tires
    DYNO:
    425rwhp & 490rwtq at 14lbs boost & 14* timing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2002hd-2.jpg   2002hd-3.jpg   2002hd-4.jpg   2002hd-6.jpg  

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sweet ride. You have way too much weight with the HD, that is the problem, and you had 60 whp less too. It was bound to happen. The HDs are sweet trucks but they weigh so much. I was heavily considering a Lighening myself before I got my Cobra, and the L's with the much smaller cab weight almost 5000 if I remember correctly.

Do you have a smaller top pulley too? I swapped mine oput and got tuned with just an intake and cat back and I put down 466 rwhp & 474 rwtq. I would expect you to have more power with the port and lower pulley (granted your tq is pretty kick ass).

In the end, your truck will last longer than the chebby anyway.
    Current Vehicle: 2006 Volvo S60 R Sonic Blue/Atacama
    SOLD:
    2006 Graphite Gray Evo IX
    2004 STi
    2003 SVT Cobra
    2003 SVT Lightning
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffbmx00 View Post
    my friend has a 5.0 too, they are slow, the only way to decently make them fast is to drop a v8 explorer engine in them.

NEW TUNE numbers were better, 455whp. we went with a bigger lower pulley (see engine mods), not messing with the s/c pulley, yet (need the puller/yaanker for these).
    Yep she is heavey , but not as heavey as people may think. id bet the chevyss was as heavey if not more. On the hd, the rear end is fiberglass i think (found that out by afew chips in the rear...) , id like to weight her someplace. Doesnt matter much, im happy. On a warmer day, with slicks we may have had a fighting chance. She is REALY nice inside! Besides my sube will be up to par quickly. Also might sell the truck for another suby .
    Juice, Nice ride!

Thanks I like the Cobra a lot, much more than my STi I got rid of for it.

it is true, the SS is a heay truck because of the AWD, but he still had the power on you. So not too much you could do. If I wasn't going into save-for-a-house mode I would try and swipe that truck from you when you were going to sell it.

You HAVE to swap that pulley, you will most likely be over 500 or very close to it with a nice smaller pulley and a readjusted tune, I am surprised your shop doesn't have one. Also you should go on SVTPerformance.com and see if any locals can lend you one, that way it is free, that is how I did it.

I think i am going to have Steigmeir port my blower this winter (500+ RWHP yummy), and then in a couple of years just go for the whipple or KB (this is when modding the Cobra gets expensive).
    SOLD:
    2004 STi
    2003 SVT Cobra
    2003 SVT Lightning
    my friend has a 5.0 too, they are slow, the only way to decently make them fast is to drop a v8 explorer engine in them.

RWD spins.

AWD goes.

And when it comes to handling, AWD kicks the holy crap out of RWD coz you can get on it so much earlier out of corners and that's where all the time is made.

Quote Originally Posted by bikerdude
    RWD spins.

AWD goes.

And when it comes to handling, AWD kicks the holy crap out of RWD coz you can get on it so much earlier out of corners and that's where all the time is made.
    Wrong again. Your telling me a set of slicks will just spin, many RWD cars can cut 1.6 60' with the right tires. And on the street with the right tires they can get traction too, not just the strip.

And please stop with this handling argument. When a WRX or STi, without major suspension mods, handles better than a C5 Z06, then i might believe you, but they don't so AWD is not automatically better at handling. AWD is like a crutch, if you fugg up, it helps a lot, but AWD does not equal better handling.
    SOLD:
    2004 STi
    2003 SVT Cobra
    2003 SVT Lightning

Wow man, I usually hate trucks with a passion, but that is one nice looking pickup with the balls to back it up. I'm so sick of seeing millions of these P.O.S. "lowrider " trucks everywhere, its like everyone (at least in the hillbilly areas where I've been living) all got sick of thier riced out Sunfires and traded them in for dropped S10's and Dakotas . It gives me hope to know that theres still nice trucks like that out there in all the mess cuzz I never seem to see them. Nice job it definatly gets a bit from me...

Nice death, just have to throw some nice meaty tread on there and with that new tune go looking for him in the summer (or at the drag strip)...

Just out of curiosity, if you dont mind my asking, have you ever run it? I would guess you're pretty deep into the 12's on street tires at least, but then I'm not too familiar with trucks...But it cant be too much heavier than my friends 69 Chevelle, and he puts down about 400whp and runs 12.6's all day on the tires he drives to the track with...
    Last edited by 04wrx4keeps; 10-01-2005 at 08:40 AM.
    Cobb Stage 2.5 VF-34 + uppipe
    Best ET so far - 13.1@103 with a 1.81 60'

Quote Originally Posted by bikerdude
    RWD spins.

AWD goes.

Are you just a troll or something? first the Z06 posts, now this, cant you just compliment people or at least talk about something you know about? You sound like youve probably driven about 0 cars, and I seriously wonder if you've ever even been in an AWD car, let alone raced an AWD and RWD car to compare and come up with these dumb conclusions.... Theres a reason that probably at least 75% of the professional racecars in the world are RWD....

If you dont have any intellegant information to add to a thread, why not just say something like "nice car/truck" or Nice kill/death".... Or keep your fingers off the keyboard and stick to reading....a wise man once said, wisdom is the reward for a lifetime of listening when you would rather talk....think about that for a second and instead of posting worthless stuff like that maybe try learning a little bit from these boards...

Quote Originally Posted by 04wrx4keeps
    Are you just a troll or something? first the Z06 posts, now this, cant you just compliment people or at least talk about something you know about? You sound like youve probably driven about 0 cars, and I seriously wonder if you've ever even been in an AWD car, let alone raced an AWD and RWD car to compare and come up with these dumb conclusions.... Theres a reason that probably at least 75% of the professional racecars in the world are RWD....

If you dont have any intellegant information to add to a thread, why not just say something like "nice car/truck" or Nice kill/death".... Or keep your fingers off the keyboard and stick to reading....a wise man once said, wisdom is the reward for a lifetime of listening when you would rather talk....think about that for a second and instead of posting worthless stuff like that maybe try learning a little bit from these boards...
    I like this dude. Nicely said.
    SOLD:
    2004 STi
    2003 SVT Cobra
    2003 SVT Lightning

Sorry to get back on subject but you should definitley go with the blower pulley one of my good friends put a 2.8in. I think, but could be totally wrong on his lightning and wow so much more power from such a small piece and correct me if Im wrony but isnt that the same engine thats your truck I know the sc's are different but did yours come stock with the eaton too?
    Cobb Stage two and a half.

Quote Originally Posted by Juice33
    I like this dude. Nicely said.
    Thanks, I do my best

im not a fan of trucks, but thats a real nice one.
    04 STi Blue
    2005 - 279WHP 306WTQ 13.1@105
    2006 - FPGreen
    LISC# 17 LongIslandSubaruClub.com

Quote Originally Posted by rex=my_life
    Sorry to get back on subject but you should definitley go with the blower pulley one of my good friends put a 2.8in. I think, but could be totally wrong on his lightning and wow so much more power from such a small piece and correct me if Im wrony but isnt that the same engine thats your truck I know the sc's are different but did yours come stock with the eaton too?
    Well i guess ill be putting a smaller pulley on her...but the larger crank pulley was realy the way to go to start out with. Pulley , wheels and rubber, retune and im done. oh thats after my suby get done so it may be some time.
    Re: 1/4 times, not yet but im guessing into the very high 12's with this setup and mid with different rubber
    Yes same as the lightnig, but with 4 captain chairs and alot nic'r interior...but kind of heavy.
    Thanks. Myabe ill keep her....lol. Having a truck REALY comes in handy sometimes!

Upper pulley and some sticky tires and you should take him. Even just a sticky tire might make up the difference. Good run!

RWD w/slicks > AWD
    '02 Dakota 5.9 R/T
    Intercooled Novi-2K

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.