I got VR6'd!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on I got VR6'd! within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I went up against a guy in a mark 2 gti with a VR6 today, and man it was fast. ...

I got VR6'd!

I went up against a guy in a mark 2 gti with a VR6 today, and man it was fast. He caught me by surprise, I kinda saw him coming up but wasn't sure if he was racing or not, so I gunned it, and so did he. It sucked though because I was kind of out of the powerband when i hit it, and it was probably a little too high of rpm to downshift, so I just mashed the pedal down. He had the jump when he was passing me, so he started pulling away at first, then kept a good car length between us. I got in a sick 3rd to fourth shift and caught up with him quick and started to pass him and he slowed down at like 110, so I did too.

You could definetely hear the VR6 screaming, **** me those things sound good with nice intake and exhaust. I don't think a stock VR6 could take a WRX, but I'm assuming it was pretty heavily modded, and that it was in an A2 kinda tells that the owner can make it go pretty fast. My buddy vr6's his mark 2 jetta, and that thing screamed, but it wasn't all that fast. Too bad he rolled it b4 he got a chance to supercharge it. Dub heads are cool, hondas won't even race me after my car started morphing into a homebrew sti, but volkswagens love a good run.
    My poor tranny!... someone sell me an aspen white 06 sti.

Mods

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Back in the late 90's thats what I wanted. Those VR6's are nice motors. I like how quick they are. Too bad about reliability issues.

u were probably out of your powerband. I used to have a MKIII VR6 jetta 5spd with I/H/E/chip and it still wasnt that quick at all. I loved that car though. I got it up to 140,000 miles, then she blew up.

i am trading mine in at the dealership and the engine is bad. i will never buy a vw gti vr6 ,again. it's a piece of ****.
    Yea tru love we can find ourselves
    I call our true identies
    Love ya brudda love ya sista
    Love everyone...the univeral sign
    Ill take it from here

VR6=RELIABLE. I used to have a vr6, drove it 118k very hard miles. The motor was very reliable and change clutch only once. The car pissed me off so much though, it was a 97 gti vr6 and the window regulators would blow once a month.
    WWW.TUNER-STOP.COMCONTACT US FOR ANY PART!!

HID KITS - $225 SHIPPED!!

reliable? i have a 98 vr6 and one time it died on me in the freeway,because of the ignition coil. that was one of the scariest moment in my life. they replaced the coil 3 times for me. it now has 120k on it and it's barely hanging in there. there's more,but i don't want to talk about it.
    I call our true identies
    Ill take it from here

I think they are hit or miss. My buddies didn't have a single issue, but he worked on, and maintained it every day. I wanted a VR6 for years, after driving one, but then I drove my wrx. No comparison. They have awesome potential to be tuned, but cost crap loads of money to tune and maintain. I'll stick with my scoob for now. I was still impressed with how quick the little thing was, but stage 2 should be here pretty soon, and then that won't happen again .
    My poor tranny!... someone sell me an aspen white 06 sti.

Mods

My friend has a mk IV jetta gli with i/e/chip. It's got some pretty decent pull to it and I must admit the VR6 sounds pretty nice.

We haven't had too many good clean runs since he's got the chip but from a low pull 30-80mph I pull about 1 to 1 1/2 car lengths. He tells me that he thinks if we were to race from a higher speed it would be closer because his topend is better... not sure about that but I still think I would pull on him.

I'm at cobb stage1 by the way. Downgraded from stage2 unfortunately Stage2 races before he had a chip weren't too pretty. I would pull a few cars on the highway.

Quote Originally Posted by creditcards
    i am trading mine in at the dealership and the engine is bad. i will never buy a vw gti vr6 ,again. it's a piece of ****.
    I thought you have a forester XT

Quote Originally Posted by wrxaddicted
    I thought you have a forester XT
    i got that too,fool. now what?
    Last edited by creditcards; 09-30-2005 at 11:51 AM.
    I call our true identies
    Ill take it from here

there's a guy selling his MKIII vr6t with over 400whp on schnellms.net for less than $10,000.
    Why do I have to slow down for the WRX? Just because everyone says it's faster doesn't mean I Have to let it win, does it?

He was probably running basic bolt on's. Though they are not exactly e.t. monsters with bolt on's they have some pretty good top end pull, lots of torque, and a very nice and linear powerband. If you hit the gas out of your powerband and he was running intake, exhaust, chip, I could def. see these results happening.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

I had a 2001 VR6 Jetta Chip/Exhaust and my wifes 2002 IS 300 auto bone stock was faster.

Quote Originally Posted by HBPUNK
    I had a 2001 VR6 Jetta Chip/Exhaust and my wifes 2002 IS 300 auto bone stock was faster.
    ^^^ idono if id go that far, but i agree with a previous statement, if you were in the wrong gear, n e thing wil pull you... if you see a lil geo metor tryin to race you, put it in 5th at 25 mph and watch as rapage ensues
    14.160@96.011
    90 degree weather
    airhog, removed silencer, and removed stock catback exhaust (stock DPs in place) and craptacular california 91 octane piss water

how do you not know about that when I owned both cars? I would know, not you. I would get the jump off the light in the Jetta and the IS300 would pull and end up beating the Jetta everytime.

I've raced driving both of them with my friends, we've switched and the IS300 was clearly faster

My Jetta has nice low end torque, I liked this car but the IS was faster, period

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast