I got VR6'd! - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 41

This is a discussion on I got VR6'd! within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by HBPUNK how do you not know about that when I owned both cars? I would know, not ...

  1. #16
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    WV
    Posts
    259
    Quote Originally Posted by HBPUNK
    how do you not know about that when I owned both cars? I would know, not you. I would get the jump off the light in the Jetta and the IS300 would pull and end up beating the Jetta everytime.

    I've raced driving both of them with my friends, we've switched and the IS300 was clearly faster

    My Jetta has nice low end torque, I liked this car but the IS was faster, period

    that's because your jetta was a 12v vr6 with 178 crank hp and about 150 whp. The newer ones have 24v vr6's with 200 crank and about 180whp. I'm not sure of the is300's power rating..
    Why do I have to slow down for the WRX? Just because everyone says it's faster doesn't mean I Have to let it win, does it?

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #17
    Registered User njazwrx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    460
    what about a VR6 with a CLose Ratio 6spd conversion? How would a stock wrx match up against that? Its not that the VW is gaining hp, its just that he/she is gonna get there quicker. Any ideas on the matchup?

  4. #18
    Registered User E-Wrex's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Portland
    Posts
    720
    VR6's are typically noted for Humoungously wide powerbands. On dyno's, some of them have peak torque at like 1900 rpms, and the power curve dosen't curve it plateaus. A close ratio six wouldn't really be that good for these engines, I dont think, due to the fact that it doesn't take much to keep it in the powerband. In hindsight, I should have kicked the clutch and raised my rpms and he wouldn't have had the jump. A six-speed would be pretty rad in my situation, because I would have had a better time keeping it in the powerband. I suppose an STi would take care of all my woes, but oh well. I guess thats why they made bigger turbos.
    My poor tranny!... someone sell me an aspen white 06 sti.

    Mods

  5. #19
    Registered User E-Wrex's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Portland
    Posts
    720
    Oops, close ratio... It might give it an advantage if you could stop the wheels from spinning. My friends A2 VR6 was a joke at the 1/4 mile because he couldn't stop burning out. I suppose a stock car with a VR6 would have a limited slip, but AWD>any other WD from a stop. Hence our rediculous 0-60 times.
    My poor tranny!... someone sell me an aspen white 06 sti.

    Mods

  6. #20
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    WV
    Posts
    259
    Quote Originally Posted by E-Wrex
    Oops, close ratio... It might give it an advantage if you could stop the wheels from spinning. My friends A2 VR6 was a joke at the 1/4 mile because he couldn't stop burning out. I suppose a stock car with a VR6 would have a limited slip, but AWD>any other WD from a stop. Hence our rediculous 0-60 times.

    my friend with the turbo MKII VR6 launched from 2nd and managed a low 12...but that's because he couldn't get any kind of traction in first.
    Why do I have to slow down for the WRX? Just because everyone says it's faster doesn't mean I Have to let it win, does it?

  7. #21
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    elk grove ca
    Posts
    925
    Quote Originally Posted by HBPUNK
    how do you not know about that when I owned both cars? I would know, not you. I would get the jump off the light in the Jetta and the IS300 would pull and end up beating the Jetta everytime.

    I've raced driving both of them with my friends, we've switched and the IS300 was clearly faster

    My Jetta has nice low end torque, I liked this car but the IS was faster, period
    well as far as i know IS300s are slower than vr6 jettas stock, so if the jetta was modified, it would beat it by even more, but thats just MY understanding, you obviously know better than me, happy now?
    14.160@96.011
    90 degree weather
    airhog, removed silencer, and removed stock catback exhaust (stock DPs in place) and craptacular california 91 octane piss water

  8. #22
    Registered User Mr Kooyulator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    1,038
    i dont like vw's.
    <= i plan on abducting her in the wag

  9. #23
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    WV
    Posts
    259
    Quote Originally Posted by blackrex02
    well as far as i know IS300s are slower than vr6 jettas stock, so if the jetta was modified, it would beat it by even more, but thats just MY understanding, you obviously know better than me, happy now?
    his jetta was the 12v 178 CRANK hp version, unless he had a 24v 200 hp version swapped in. They didn't put those in until 2002+ Soooo... The IS300 puts out more than 178 CRANK hp as far as I know...

    oh, yep...I just checked. A 3.0 Is300 puts out 215 hp CRANK and 218 ft/lbs tq....much faster than a 12v vr6 that puts out only about 155ish to the wheels...
    Why do I have to slow down for the WRX? Just because everyone says it's faster doesn't mean I Have to let it win, does it?

  10. #24
    Registered User E-Wrex's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Portland
    Posts
    720
    Wow, got totally cut off this evening by an 02ish jetta with rims and pretty much stock looking everything else. I was trying to switch lanes in pretty heavy traffic in anticipation of my exit, and the guy guns it and swoops around me, trying to prevoke a race, on the right even though my blinker was clearly on before he even switches over. Damn near side swiped the a$$hole because he switched after I checked my mirrors and blind spot. In the middle of rush hour traffic no less. If that guy woulda creamed my baby, i woulda been in jail for aggrevated assault with a deadly weapon, and that mother****er woulda been in the ER getting a tire iron dislodged from his lower digestive tract. Shame on him!

    I just sold all my stock in volkswagen, and will proceed to ruin the ego of every damn jetta that thinks their quick with their aftermarket wheels and g.i. joe-on-sale exhaust tips. Why, everytime i give respect to a damn car community, do they have to take it right back? On a side note: the VW community is still cooler than the Honda community. For every one time I get pissed off by some douche bag that thinks his moms jetta is fast, I've been tormented a thousand times by Eminem look-a-likes in primered junk-heap civics. Smiting those bastards in my old '85 benz put a grin on my face like few things can.
    My poor tranny!... someone sell me an aspen white 06 sti.

    Mods

  11. #25
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    WV
    Posts
    259
    Quote Originally Posted by E-Wrex
    Wow, got totally cut off this evening by an 02ish jetta with rims and pretty much stock looking everything else. I was trying to switch lanes in pretty heavy traffic in anticipation of my exit, and the guy guns it and swoops around me, trying to prevoke a race, on the right even though my blinker was clearly on before he even switches over. Damn near side swiped the a$$hole because he switched after I checked my mirrors and blind spot. In the middle of rush hour traffic no less. If that guy woulda creamed my baby, i woulda been in jail for aggrevated assault with a deadly weapon, and that mother****er woulda been in the ER getting a tire iron dislodged from his lower digestive tract. Shame on him!

    I just sold all my stock in volkswagen, and will proceed to ruin the ego of every damn jetta that thinks their quick with their aftermarket wheels and g.i. joe-on-sale exhaust tips. Why, everytime i give respect to a damn car community, do they have to take it right back? On a side note: the VW community is still cooler than the Honda community. For every one time I get pissed off by some douche bag that thinks his moms jetta is fast, I've been tormented a thousand times by Eminem look-a-likes in primered junk-heap civics. Smiting those bastards in my old '85 benz put a grin on my face like few things can.
    angry vw owners used to be civic owners....

    on a side note, my friend has a completely stock looking gti that put down 268whp. It's really low for his setup, but it's a completely custom setup and not on of the kits. By the time he gets done tweaking and tuning, he can be expected to see about 350whp.

    That would give a nicely modded sti a run for it's money...
    Why do I have to slow down for the WRX? Just because everyone says it's faster doesn't mean I Have to let it win, does it?

  12. #26
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    217
    blackrex, as far as you know...you are wrong

    why even argue with someone who owned both cars at the same time

  13. #27
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    elk grove ca
    Posts
    925
    Quote Originally Posted by HBPUNK
    blackrex, as far as you know...you are wrong

    why even argue with someone who owned both cars at the same time
    you say youve owned both well good for you, i have driven both in stock form, and the jetta always won, if it was modified it would win by more and that is as far as I know, i cant prove you wrong nor you prove me wrong, so its a stalemate ok? i find it hard to believe a modified vr6 will lose to stock is300.. thats all, but maybe thats just me, maybe its just me and a million other ppl but who cares because youve owned both right?
    Last edited by blackrex02; 10-04-2005 at 08:58 PM.
    14.160@96.011
    90 degree weather
    airhog, removed silencer, and removed stock catback exhaust (stock DPs in place) and craptacular california 91 octane piss water

  14. #28
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    217
    because I've owned both at the same time and raced them countless times, thats why.

    The VW probably feels quicker to you because the motor sounds deep and the IS300 is quiet

    besides the VR6 motor doesnt get much hp gain from a chip/exhaust, it's very minimal

  15. #29
    Registered User E-Wrex's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Portland
    Posts
    720
    Agree to disagree?
    My poor tranny!... someone sell me an aspen white 06 sti.

    Mods

  16. #30
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    WV
    Posts
    259
    Quote Originally Posted by blackrex02
    you say youve owned both well good for you, i have driven both in stock form, and the jetta always won, if it was modified it would win by more and that is as far as I know, i cant prove you wrong nor you prove me wrong, so its a stalemate ok? i find it hard to believe a modified vr6 will lose to stock is300.. thats all, but maybe thats just me, maybe its just me and a million other ppl but who cares because youve owned both right?

    are you even READING these friggin post?@?!?!?! I mean, c'mon, this is the third time I'll have pointed this out to you proving his situation right.

    and I'll even simplify it for you since it seems you don't like to read much.

    2001 Jetta vr6 = 178 CRANK HP
    Lexus IS300 = 215 CRANK HP

    178 < 215

    see, it's really not that hard to understand. He has the 12v vr6 that only puts out 178 CRANK HP as opposed to the 2002's which had the 12v vr6 that puts out 200 CRANK HP.

    Did this clear it up for you, or are you just going to pretend you didn't see this post so you can be right in your own little world?

    and I'm sure if a million other people would have READ my other post, they would understand that YOU ARE WRONG.
    Why do I have to slow down for the WRX? Just because everyone says it's faster doesn't mean I Have to let it win, does it?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •