to any one who knows about hondas.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on to any one who knows about hondas. within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; my friend is doing a motor swap in his car. he purchased a b18 block, with b16 internals and a ...

to any one who knows about hondas.

my friend is doing a motor swap in his car.

he purchased a b18 block, with b16 internals and a b20 head. someone he knew built it up and he bought it for 400 bucks.

he is also going to have some basic bolt on's and a tuned ecu.

he swears he is going to rip me.

i have a wrx with tbe up pipe custom intake. any input on this motor from people who know a lot about hondas would be appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

well..
    What kind of honda does he have.
    - Local Riceist

he has a 2 door 96 civic...ex i think..i dont know much about hondas. he is almost possibly getting a b16, or ls tranny

If he bought the motor for cheap, likely its built like ****. I wouldn't worry about it, its going to blow up. A frankenstein motor like that...isn't a good motor. Specially since its a B20 head? I would think B20 block with B16 head. but a B20 head flows horribly. So hell probably make like 120 whp till he explodes.
    '02 WRB WRX wingless
    Its stock...I swear....and its N/A too
    ...thats not turbo spool you hear thats a vaccuum leak!

Quote Originally Posted by Ceyvme
    If he bought the motor for cheap, likely its built like ****. I wouldn't worry about it, its going to blow up. A frankenstein motor like that...isn't a good motor. Specially since its a B20 head? I would think B20 block with B16 head. but a B20 head flows horribly. So hell probably make like 120 whp till he explodes.
    My thoughts exactly. Terribly combo. Although I do have a buddy whos got a GSR (b18c1) block stuffed with TypeR(b18c5) Internals with an SI(b16a2) head. Now that is a good combo. But I wouldnt worry at all that doesnt even have VTAK!! And we all know that the only thing faster than that is an SRT-4. (JP)

Neither tranny is really all that great either. If he could get a hold of a TypeR or even a GSR it would be an improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by rbwrx
    my friend is doing a motor swap in his car.

he purchased a b18 block, with b16 internals and a b20 head. someone he knew built it up and he bought it for 400 bucks.

he is also going to have some basic bolt on's and a tuned ecu.

he swears he is going to rip me.

i have a wrx with tbe up pipe custom intake. any input on this motor from people who know a lot about hondas would be appreciated.

first off, the B20 head is non vtec, and it flows like ass

second, the B18 block is a good block, I am asuming it has the crank and rods too? the B16 pistons will work since they are the same size. B16s pistons yield a little higher compression.

tuned ecu (hondata) is going to cost well more than what he has into the motor, he could go with chrome or uberdata which is much less expensive, also he has to buy B series motor mounts

oh..and the LS transmission has VERY long gears, so screw that idea, a B16 tranny would be his best bet since the gears are very short and make up for the lack of torque...

my guess is that it makes 115 whp and runs low 16s.

lot of my buds have honduhs so I know a little.
    Last edited by JiDM_WeRX; 09-27-2005 at 11:28 PM.

haha thanks. i cant wait untill get gets it in. he had a d16 with 1 peice headers and a cat back with cai. and its slow as balls. he thinks this swap is going to drop over 2 seconds off his car. he will argue to the death that his car will be fast.

keep the info coming, i want to learn more about hondas....since they are sooooooo fast. and can almost beat teh fastezzzzzz

o yeah i forgot, his b20 head is ported and polished and milled.

Even with a port and polish, a B20 head is basically a B18B head which sucks. Anything non Vtec and N/A youll never have to worry about. They also have very low redlines and the cams fall off power wise. So if hes on stock cams, dont expect him to make power past 6 grand.

There are two B20 motors made. Tons of variations but they are basically all the same as far as a B20B and a B20Z go. The B20Z are the newer blocks and have an odd intake design as there is a resonator type chamber that supposedly helps mid range torque by creating a long runner for air intake. I don't believe it.... More than likely its a B20B head though as its a very straightforward non vtec build.

Both blocks have a 81MM bore on the head and can't take much more. They are basically the P75 heads off a B18B as I said before. Just with a few tweaks to increase torque it seems for the bigger block.

Basically in summary. I can't see him making more than 130 WHP with this combo. It sure as hell wont be reliable either. Expect head gasket failure and lots of stuff to blow up basically. B16 internals will bump the compression ratio up but also decrease torque. If hes not on stock cams he can find power there...but not much. Really he needs to swap that B20 head for a B18C or B16(ideal) head and get some real power out of it. He could also just swap a B18B, build the internals and turbo it to make some decent whp and not be another ricer.
    '02 WRB WRX wingless
    Its stock...I swear....and its N/A too
    ...thats not turbo spool you hear thats a vaccuum leak!

Quote Originally Posted by rbwrx
    haha thanks. i cant wait untill get gets it in. he had a d16 with 1 peice headers and a cat back with cai. and its slow as balls. he thinks this swap is going to drop over 2 seconds off his car. he will argue to the death that his car will be fast.

keep the info coming, i want to learn more about hondas....since they are sooooooo fast. and can almost beat teh fastezzzzzz
    it will drop 2 seconds off his car and thats the truth. his 17sec car will become a 15 sec car lol.. also one thing to note the b20 head is the same as a b18/ls non vtec head. they flow fairly well and prob better than a wrx head. actually all dual cam heads from honda flow very well stock. you should even beat him from a roll and from a stop its not even a contest. please make sure to make a vid and be nice to your buddy and tellem hed prob have a good chance of beating you. dont have to argue with him itll be sweeter when you spank him thats all.

Quote Originally Posted by Ceyvme
    Even with a port and polish, a B20 head is basically a B18B head which sucks. Anything non Vtec and N/A youll never have to worry about. They also have very low redlines and the cams fall off power wise. So if hes on stock cams, dont expect him to make power past 6 grand.

There are two B20 motors made. Tons of variations but they are basically all the same as far as a B20B and a B20Z go. The B20Z are the newer blocks and have an odd intake design as there is a resonator type chamber that supposedly helps mid range torque by creating a long runner for air intake. I don't believe it.... More than likely its a B20B head though as its a very straightforward non vtec build.

Both blocks have a 81MM bore on the head and can't take much more. They are basically the P75 heads off a B18B as I said before. Just with a few tweaks to increase torque it seems for the bigger block.

Basically in summary. I can't see him making more than 130 WHP with this combo. It sure as hell wont be reliable either. Expect head gasket failure and lots of stuff to blow up basically. B16 internals will bump the compression ratio up but also decrease torque. If hes not on stock cams he can find power there...but not much. Really he needs to swap that B20 head for a B18C or B16(ideal) head and get some real power out of it. He could also just swap a B18B, build the internals and turbo it to make some decent whp and not be another ricer.
    the heads flow fine.. increasing compression actually increases tourque and overall power with proper tuning. thats what a turbo essentially does. if built ok it wont blow up hondas are fairly reliable if he doesnt rev the snot outta of it. the only big problem i see him having is the pistons and milling of the head it might make a ridiculous increase in compression where he has to run race gas or ping his motor to death.. he'll make power if done decently im thinkin around 145whp at most and VTAK is not needed because my wrx doesnt have it and i spank plenty of them turbo or not.
    Last edited by dvang; 09-27-2005 at 11:55 PM.

They must not be racing. OR I must be joking.

Question

Ok so Im a total Honduh newb, what displacement does that engine have? B20 I mean...? If its anything like the 1.6L in the mid 90s Civics, that engine is crap... (my mom has one .... And keep in mind my car is an EJ18 Impreza

The numbers ALWAYS stand for the displacement. B20=2.0L B16= 1.6L etc.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.