Cobb 2.5 vs Cobra
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Cobb 2.5 vs Cobra within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Riding home from shooting pool tonight me and my friend come up to a redlight with a red Mustang convertable ...

Cobb 2.5 vs Cobra

Riding home from shooting pool tonight me and my friend come up to a redlight with a red Mustang convertable sitting in the right lane. We get next to it and I rev a few times and the girl driving and her bf both look over and grin. The light turns green just as I actually get next to them so I didnt reall lauch but just rolled off and punched it at about 15-20mph. I pulled about a car on her in 1st, another 2-3 in second, and a little bit more in 3rd before I shut down at about 85 with her probably 4 or 5 cars back. I hit the breaks and slow down to about 65 as it looked like she did too.

I was keeping an eye on her in my rearview and see her front end lift and she starts pulling on me. so I drop it back into 3rd and stop her pull as she gets about 2 cars behind me and we held exactly like that from about 75 to around 120 when I let off.

I didnt get to look at it to closely (it was on the pass side) but my friend in the passenger seat (who is a huge mustang fan, mechanic, and really knows his cars) got a good look and said it was deffinatly a cobra probably 99-02 because it was that bodystyle (and deff not SC, so not 03+)
    Cobb Stage 2.5 VF-34 + uppipe
    Best ET so far - 13.1@103 with a 1.81 60'

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I think the 99-02 Cobra was a high 13 second car. Not very fast stock.

yeah, the pre-03' cobra's were mid to high 13sec cars so not as beastly as the s/c'd ones, but nonetheless, good kill
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

Quote Originally Posted by 04wrx4keeps
    snip

I hope your Mustang loving friend realizes that the NA DOHC 4.6 Cobra in the Edge body style was only made in '99 and '01. '00 only had the limited production (300) Cobra R and '02 had no Cobra.

Anywho, more than likely it was '99 or '01. If it were an '03-'04 you would have heard a loud blower whine. There is no mistaking it for anything else.

By the way good kill.
    Hard work pays off in the long run but procrastination pays off now.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #015
    2006 WRB WRX Wagon - stock
    1991 Dark Emerald Green Mustang LX 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by SubeStang
    I hope your Mustang loving friend realizes that the NA DOHC 4.6 Cobra in the Edge body style was only made in '99 and '01. '00 only had the limited production (300) Cobra R and '02 had no Cobra.

Anywho, more than likely it was '99 or '01. If it were an '03-'04 you would have heard a loud blower whine. There is no mistaking it for anything else.

By the way good kill.
    Yea I know, I've been around lots of SC mustangs and it deffinatly wasnt SC. I didnt know they skipped 02 for the regular cobra, I have no idea if he knows that but he said it was deff a cobra (I was looking more at the girl in the driverseat when we were close enough to tell), and I just said 99-02 bacuase it was that bodysyle. I'd guess probably auto too if they made them that way.

And yea, I know their only mid-high 13 second cars, but the only cars I ever see that want to race around here are hicks in pickups and SUV's, and well I couldnt resist the chance to run a car that might actually be able to put up a decent fight.

Especially after the night before we had tried to get a modded mustang to do a few friendly runs and the guy gave us the cocky "oh your import isnt worthy of racing my V8" response (even though it looked and sounded like a 4.6 with an exhaust, no cam lope, blower wine or anything), I'm not affraid of getting beat if he was pulling 11's, and my friend was going to throw $500, but although he knew he would smoke me it wasnt worth it for him to make $500 in 12 seconds.... . So after all of that I was ready to race any mustang I came across that wanted some (I actually thought it was the same guy before we got next to him because they were both red 99+'s).

"oh your import isnt worthy of racing my V8" response (.

See that type of stuff kills me. That is why I hate being a Mustang owner. Honestly most of them are douches. Hopefully I will be changing my affiliation soon though. I am trying to get rid of my Mustang so that I can get an '06 WRX. Just need to sell my car and I am good to go.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #015

Quote Originally Posted by SubeStang
    See that type of stuff kills me. That is why I hate being a Mustang owner. Honestly most of them are douches. Hopefully I will be changing my affiliation soon though. I am trying to get rid of my Mustang so that I can get an '06 WRX. Just need to sell my car and I am good to go.
    Yea exactly. I might drive an import but that doesnt mean that I dont like mustangs and other V8 cars (my first 2 cars were camaros, and I owned an 87 Mustang GT too). We actually pulled up next to him at a gas station to ask and the first words out of my friends mouth were "Nice mustang" (its the same friend that was with me on the other run, hes a HUGE mustang freak). My friend even asked if he liked to run it and he said yea, but then he gave us a bunch of sketchy stuff about how it "might be blown" (although it didnt whistle while he was driving) and then "no it might be stroked".

I always just assume when someone acts like that these days their afraid of losing ot they just dont know anything about cars. A stock mustang GT and a stock 04 WRX are pretty much a drivers race from a dig, and my car does not sound anywhere near stock, we tried to get the point to him that the reason we came over was because he was modded, but he just wanted to puff his chest and act like he was in a Blown Viper. Either way it still ticks me off, I mean we were doing nothing but complimenting his car and by acting like he did he was blatently just insulted mine, I mean he could have said no I dont really like street racing or soemthing like that instead.

And dont think of it as changing affiliations by buying a WRX, you're just trying something different. There are pleanty of cool mustang owners and little punk wrx owners and neither car is really "fast" in my oppinion stock but lots of people who dont know cars think their unbeatable (coincidentally they tend to be the jerks too). Every brand attracts the good and the bad, sporty cars in general just attract more of the jerks. I wish more people would just treat all nice cars and car owners with respect where its due, and not treat brand names like political pary's.

"oh your import isnt worthy of racing my V8" response
    i give the your V8 isn't worthy response to a lot of kids in big boats.
    Former member of bugeye mafia

<=====my old baby

Nice..
    A domestic kill always put a smile on my face when had my suby
    - Local Riceist

Good kill! I like all cars my personal favorite is a 1985 Yugo.
    There is no such thing as, "too much Horse Power"!

2005 STi CGM
    Cobb Stage 1
    K&N Typhoon Intake

Lets see...

They didn't build the '00 Cobra because they had to go back and "fix" all the '99s that were missing 30 some horses. Incidentally, the 99 has a nice lope to it, enough to shake the passenger seat and set off the neighbor's car alarm. The seats sucked however, and you could count on a pained back after a 5 hour road trip. The traction control was very rudimentary, and more than one person forgot to turn it off before they took off and embarrassed themselves, (not me!! *cough*). Oh, and ALL Cobras are sticks. AT least stock. Though I can't imagine why one would go the extra distance and then put a lazystick in it.

As far as "mustang guys are ***holes" or "V8 guys are ***holes" or whatever... that can be said of pretty much any person who defines themselves that way... there are good and bad in all walks of life. Characterizing someone as a bad person because of the car they drive is very... ignorant. That is, unless they drive a Civic...
    Family fun: 2010 BMW M3 Sedan; STOCK
    Single fun: 2012 Mustang Boss 302; STOCK
    SOLD to my Brother: 02 WRX Sedan / Short throw, K+N drop in, Helix up and down pipe, Borla Hush twin tip, Whiteline sways and endlinks, KYB GR2s, Swift springs, Cobb Stage 2
    SOLD: 05 Mustang GT Convertible / blown and tuned by Dynospeed Racing, Memphis TN

Quote Originally Posted by Herknav
    Lets see...

They didn't build the '00 Cobra because they had to go back and "fix" all the '99s that were missing 30 some horses.:

I don't know that that was the reason for not building an '00. The fixed the problem in 01 and didn't build an '02. Why?? Who knows.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #015

What about a s/c cobra vs a 05 sti
    |^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||_____
    |.........Beer................| ||.....'|";\,___.
    |_...__...______...__..._|_||_|__|__..._|
    ..(@).(@)........(@) (@)................(@)............

Only on the street when the Cobra has stock tires, when racing from a dig, does an STi really have a chance. From a roll, the STi has not a chance in hell. The Cobra has too much power and it pours on all the way to the top. I had the STi (04) and the Cobra is much faster up top. The only issue with the Cobra is traction.
    Current Vehicle: 2006 Volvo S60 R Sonic Blue/Atacama
    SOLD:
    2006 Graphite Gray Evo IX
    2004 STi
    2003 SVT Cobra
    2003 SVT Lightning
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffbmx00 View Post
    my friend has a 5.0 too, they are slow, the only way to decently make them fast is to drop a v8 explorer engine in them.

Quote Originally Posted by Fox05
    What about a s/c cobra vs a 05 sti
    from a stop in the 1/4 mile it will be pretty close if your stock, expect to get passed like your not moving about the 85-95mph mark though, if the Cobra sucks at driving you might have till 110 tops to stay in front before he makes you just look sad. From a roll you would need to be at least stage 2+ to really even hang with one, or on an upgraded turbo to actually have any kind of win. They trap 110mph+ stock, without at least 300whp you really dont have a fighting chance except with the traction advantage down low.

Now get one in the twisties and its a different stoy. Hot Rod mag did a comparisson a year or so back, and even they said around a track it was cobra, at least until they got to the straighaway...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast