STI vs 05 GTO - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on STI vs 05 GTO within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by TeamGuam I dont know what Im trapping, I've never taken it to the track. My plan is ...

Quote Originally Posted by TeamGuam
    I dont know what Im trapping, I've never taken it to the track. My plan is to wait until Im 350 or so whp corrected numbers. Race gas and a few more mods might put me there. The closest track is at 5000 ft so I didnt want to be too disappointed. Plus I wanted some time to get better at launching and other stuff.

I would like to see the GTO with a twin turbo set up though at a track. That would be fun, maybe too much fun for me to handle.
    Stock internal twin turbo LS1's and LS2's aren't very common. Weak internals for boost. Better suited for high compression NA setups. Built internals however are yielding some monster numbers.
    2005 SAAB 9-2x - Stage II

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Ya I didnt mean stock internals, I should have clearified myself my fault. I meant with all the support mods to support a turbo.

Not always true. Cars like GTOs dont have a lot of parts or demand for them so the price is up there. Where as civics and other cars which every high school kids mod are pretty cheap. It varies from car to car.
    Hence, when I said generally, as opposed to the original post in which the dude thought imports were cheaper mod . Honduhs can be cheap, but you still have to spend big money to make it truly fast. HS ricer parts aren't true performance parts anyway though.

As for the GTO it will have plenty of cheap parts in a year or so, that engine will be in at least 3 different GM cars, and their will be plenty of people looking to mod (GTO, Vette, CTS V). Tell your boy to be patient, Hell the STi was very expensive to mod when it came out, and still kind of is.
    Current Vehicle: 2006 Volvo S60 R Sonic Blue/Atacama
    SOLD:
    2006 Graphite Gray Evo IX
    2004 STi
    2003 SVT Cobra
    2003 SVT Lightning
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffbmx00 View Post
    my friend has a 5.0 too, they are slow, the only way to decently make them fast is to drop a v8 explorer engine in them.

Quote Originally Posted by Juice33
    Hence, when I said generally, as opposed to the original post in which the dude thought imports were cheaper mod . Honduhs can be cheap, but you still have to spend big money to make it truly fast. HS ricer parts aren't true performance parts anyway though.

As for the GTO it will have plenty of cheap parts in a year or so, that engine will be in at least 3 different GM cars, and their will be plenty of people looking to mod (GTO, Vette, CTS V). Tell your boy to be patient, Hell the STi was very expensive to mod when it came out, and still kind of is.

I get what your saying now and agree. Ya he is being patient hes not talking about TT for a few years downt he road. One of the more expensive cars I've every seen to upgrade is a Supra, my friend is going through this now and damn hes putting a lot of money in his car.

I dont know what Im trapping, I've never taken it to the track. My plan is to wait until Im 350 or so whp corrected numbers. Race gas and a few more mods might put me there. The closest track is at 5000 ft so I didnt want to be too disappointed. Plus I wanted some time to get better at launching and other stuff.

I would like to see the GTO with a twin turbo set up though at a track. That would be fun, maybe too much fun for me to handle.

First off good kill,
    As you all ready know elevation is a killer for NA cars. Boosted cars aren't affected nearly as much. So your at a huge advantage. I've talked to a few guys with mildly modded WRX's that have beaten C5 Vettes up there at high altitude.

Twin turbo setups are a little much for a street driven LS1/LS2. It's also too expensive. A few guys are runnin the STS turbo kit on their 04 GTO's. I believe one guy has his car in the 10s on one.
    But superchargers seem to be more popular. I watched a guy with an 04 GTO go from
    280 rwhp to 488 rwhp with a 7psi Intercooled Procharger. No oher mods. Just the supercharger. But its pretty expensive. The Procharger kit runs about 5k. Then you need to pay for installation. But man it would be worth it to have 488 rwhp.

So the GTOs can handle adding a SC without any other support mods? Damn an increase in 200 hp would put him right at 530 rwhp. I better not have him get that until I upgrade my turbo. I kept trying to tell him go SC because its safer but hes looking at TT. I'll make sure to tell him about the Procharger. Thanks

At UTI we have a remote turbo'd GTO that puts down some pretty good numbers. I have yet to see it be pulled but I hear it puts down some pretty big numbers. I'll see if I can get a picture of the dyno sheet tomarrow.

Up here at elevation, 05 GTO's are slow. Stock Z06's run best of 13.8's down the 1/4. I've ran against Z06's and the new C6 on the highway and slowly pull away. At my work place, I know a guy who just purchased an 05 GTO that wants to run but keep making up excuses everytime I meet him. Alot of people at work keeps on egging the guy on to race me but I think someone told him I've eaten a couple of stock Z06's for dinner already. That's why he contemplating on racing me. He doesn't want to look bad in front of his peers.
    2003 Evolution 8
    Buschur Racing 3'' turboback exhaust with high flow cat
    Apexi SAFCII
    Turboxs HPmbc(19psi)
    Injen intake kit.
    HKS 264/272
    329+awhp/327+awtq.
    345awhp/344awtq "catless".

I get what your saying now and agree. Ya he is being patient hes not talking about TT for a few years downt he road. One of the more expensive cars I've every seen to upgrade is a Supra, my friend is going through this now and damn hes putting a lot of money in his car.
    If he goes TT that thing will be nasty as hell. Supercharging a V8 is a good idea too. You get a lot of power all over the power band. I don't know much about the GTOs being supercharged but (not calling BS) adding an S/C at 7 psi and netting 200 rwhp doesn't make sense to me, it just seems really high, especially without any other mods or at least nitrous.
    SOLD:
    2004 STi
    2003 SVT Cobra
    2003 SVT Lightning
    my friend has a 5.0 too, they are slow, the only way to decently make them fast is to drop a v8 explorer engine in them.

If he goes TT that thing will be nasty as hell. Supercharging a V8 is a good idea too. You get a lot of power all over the power band. I don't know much about the GTOs being supercharged but (not calling BS) adding an S/C at 7 psi and netting 200 rwhp doesn't make sense to me, it just seems really high, especially without any other mods or at least nitrous.

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=380901

Most of the cars mentioned do have Long Tube Headers at least.
    Last edited by SouthFL_9-2x; 09-22-2005 at 08:05 AM.

Did he use 2 different dynos? 280 seems very low, and then to jump to 480 is high. Plus it seems like those other guys had supporting mods, to get up that high. Not just stock. Again, I don't know much about LS1 (I should, they are my comp.) but that just seems like a huge jump in power for such a small psi. 7 just seems low, for that jump, I would have thought it would take at least double that to get to 480. I guess I will keep a closer eye on those fuggers.

Thanks for the heads up.
    Last edited by Juice33; 09-22-2005 at 12:54 PM.
    SOLD:
    2004 STi
    2003 SVT Cobra
    2003 SVT Lightning

Did he use 2 different dynos? 280 seems very low, and then to jump to 480 is high. Plus it seems like those other guys had supporting mods, to get up that high. Not just stock. Again, I don't know much about LS1 (I should, they are my comp.) but that just seems like a huge jump in power for such a small psi. 7 just seems low, for that jump, I would have thought it would take at least double that to get to 480. I guess I will keep a closer eye on those fuggers.

Thanks for the heads up.
    280 is on the low side, but still in range of stock A4 ls1's. The others listed in the thread have minimal mods other than the SC setups. Despite the weak internals of the ls1 which limits its psi, the intake and most importantly, the heads are very free flowing when compared to other v8's, hence the generous gains.

I guess I need to port my blower and get to 500 rwhp, so i can still show those dude my tails.
    SOLD:
    2004 STi
    2003 SVT Cobra
    2003 SVT Lightning

why do you have team guam as your name?
    2002 wrx silver

Quote Originally Posted by SouthFL_9-2x
    Despite the weak internals of the ls1 which limits its psi, the intake and most importantly, the heads are very free flowing when compared to other v8's, hence the generous gains.
    Actually, it is heads compression that limits the psi, weak internal will break but doesn't limit the psi, the compression of heads does. Also, ls1 intake flows just fine, just doesn't flow as well as LS6 or other after-market intake manifold.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.