gt mustang race - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on gt mustang race within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I owned a VF34'd WRX, okay? Basically the identical setup to yours, so it's not like I'm a newcomer to ...

I Support ClubWRX
    I owned a VF34'd WRX, okay? Basically the identical setup to yours, so it's not like I'm a newcomer to the pull of the car. I'm just saying that the numbers don't really seem to support a "walk away" win by a VF34 modded WRX, at least not from a roll. Your best run is with a 103mph trap, according to your sig. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if guys in new GT's aren't getting pretty close to that at the drag strip. Heck, Car and Driver trapped 103mph in it. From a stop, the WRX will probably win, depending on drivers, etc, due to the AWD launch.

I like Subies as much as the next guy, but I've got to give the 300hp V8 (with flatter torque curve and no AWD drivetrain loss) it's due.

I know I'm doing a bit of magazine racing, but I'm sure a quick trip to the Mustang forum would back me up.
    Last edited by RayfieldsWRX; 09-19-2005 at 06:15 PM.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Ruling out it's a 03+cobra then it shouldnt be much of a race. I dont think a stg 4 would do much good against a properly drive 03 cobra on the street..but who am I?

As for CAI and Pullies....decent mods on a gt but nothing great. Gears are the down side to many 4.6's as they like to live a little higher in the rev range. If those are his only mods then you will have him no doubt. Most "bolt on" gt's will not leave the low 15 high 14 range with out them getting the crap ran out of them. As for the 05's....I lost interest in stangs about 2 years ago and havent really kept up...but I would guess it's would be closer.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX
    I owned a VF34'd WRX, okay? Basically the identical setup to yours, so it's not like I'm a newcomer to the pull of the car. I'm just saying that the numbers don't really seem to support a "walk away" win by a VF34 modded WRX, at least not from a roll. Your best run is with a 103mph trap, according to your sig. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if guys in new GT's aren't getting pretty close to that at the drag strip. Heck, Car and Driver trapped 103mph in it. From a stop, the WRX will probably win, depending on drivers, etc, due to the AWD launch.

I like Subies as much as the next guy, but I've got to give the 300hp V8 (with flatter torque curve and no AWD drivetrain loss) it's due.

I know I'm doing a bit of magazine racing, but I'm sure a quick trip to the Mustang forum would back me up.
    Ok so you've owned a VF34 wrx, do you want a cookie or something?

I've raced 2 different 05 GT's and I would walk away from them every time. From 40mph I would instantly start a slow walk all the way through 2nd, with about a car to car and a half on him on the 2-3 shift I would then pull about another car through 3rd pulling slower till the top of the gear, after the 3-4 shift we would stay about the same distance apart from there on, we didnt go much over 100. So he had matched my speed by the top of 3rd, and after that we were accelerating at about the same rate. I know I cross the traps at the bottom of 4th, so that would put us both right around the same trap speed since he stoped my pull around 85-90, the top of third.

From a stop I would usually pull a quick 2 cars or so in first, gain another car to car and a half in second, another car in third and mid way to the top of third I would stop pulling, and we would stay like that till I let off about 100mph.

I dont see how that is so hard to understand? It seems to reflect pretty close trap speeds to me, if we are holding steady from 85ish to 100 that means we would both cross the traps around the same speed. I've never driven an 05 (although I had an 87 GT, I'm sure not that much alike), but I would imagine my WRX probably has a higher overall gear ratio in 1-3, puts down close to the same WHP, and it's lighter than the GT (I weighed in at 3180 at the scales at E-town with a 1/4 tank and me in the car, I know those mustangs are more than that just curb weight, which means another 150-200lbs at least with a driver), I give mustangs all the credit their due, I have a few friends who are very die-hard mustang fans, but I dont get what the big confusion is. Just because 2 cars trap the same speed doesnt mean every rolling race from every speed is going to be a dead side to side locked race....
    Cobb Stage 2.5 VF-34 + uppipe
    Best ET so far - 13.1@103 with a 1.81 60'

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 04wrx4keeps
    Ok so you've owned a VF34 wrx, do you want a cookie or something?
    No, just trying to make polite conversation from a common frame of reference. I give up...
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

traps don't mean everything. Remember those mag times were probably ran at a drag strip where the GT would get much better traction than on the street.

I Support ClubWRX
    Even from a 60 MPH rolling start, I walked a new GT with just my Stage 2 Legacy. Your VF34 will eat him for lunch (assuming you are well tuned).

Good luck.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwrxguy
    traps don't mean everything. Remember those mag times were probably ran at a drag strip where the GT would get much better traction than on the street.
    I'm sure that's true.

Quote Originally Posted by 302@12psi
    Ruling out it's a 03+cobra then it shouldnt be much of a race. I dont think a stg 4 would do much good against a properly drive 03 cobra on the street..but who am I?

As for CAI and Pullies....decent mods on a gt but nothing great. Gears are the down side to many 4.6's as they like to live a little higher in the rev range. If those are his only mods then you will have him no doubt. Most "bolt on" gt's will not leave the low 15 high 14 range with out them getting the crap ran out of them. As for the 05's....I lost interest in stangs about 2 years ago and havent really kept up...but I would guess it's would be closer.
    99-04 GT's are low 14 high 13 second cars. The 05 GT's are mid 13 second cars. The 03-04 Cobra is a high 12 second car. All of this is with good drivers. There are NA 99 - 02 Cobras running 11's with all bolt ons and Drag Radials. www.corral.net/forums for more information.

Mustangs on the street are nothing special. Sooo heavy and RWD so they spin and get all sideways and meanwhile you have taken off and are viewing them in the review. Then they avoid all eye contact with you at the next light because there "muscle car" got beat by a Subbie.

Properly driven at the track with perfect traction and modded they can be OK, but still heavy and requires mad skillz to launch it.

Overrated low-tech cars basically. You can put a big engine on a pig but it's still a pig.

In the rear view I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by bikerdude
    Mustangs on the street are nothing special. Sooo heavy and RWD so they spin and get all sideways and meanwhile you have taken off and are viewing them in the review. Then they avoid all eye contact with you at the next light because there "muscle car" got beat by a Subbie.

Properly driven at the track with perfect traction and modded they can be OK, but still heavy and requires mad skillz to launch it.

Overrated low-tech cars basically. You can put a big engine on a pig but it's still a pig.

Alot of people run their mouths and not their cars. Tell him 2 bring it, plain and simple. Talk is fkn cheap. Show him wassup and he'll be quiet or make excuses. Like others said, don't run from a roll because that's BS. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by bikerdude

You are very wrong. Mustangs are can be very fast and mean on the street, all it takes is a set of tires and they can get very good traction. At the strip 12 second Mustangs are very common, same with 11 second ones. I guess if the asshat is launching his Mustang at 5000 rpms on the stock tires than your description may be true, but 9 out of 10 times, against a modded stang, you will be wrong.
    Current Vehicle: 2006 Volvo S60 R Sonic Blue/Atacama
    SOLD:
    2006 Graphite Gray Evo IX
    2004 STi
    2003 SVT Cobra
    2003 SVT Lightning
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffbmx00 View Post
    my friend has a 5.0 too, they are slow, the only way to decently make them fast is to drop a v8 explorer engine in them.

This thread makes me laugh...

Everyone is magazine racing here... all because you can't quantify the driver. One description includes "perfect driving" but still credits the car.. come on guys! Claim some of your own credit.

*I* have both a Cobb Stage 2 WRX and an 05 GT and that GT will walk up and down all over that WRX. I love them both, but displacement wins, sorry.

As far as the 05 GT and bolts ons... Right now, there is not very much on the market for the 05, (compared to the previous model mustangs). remember, the 05 is a 3 valve motor, whereas the previous GTs were 2 valve, (and Cobras are all 4v), so the majority of bolt ons are not useable.

The 05 computer is very sensitive to changes. Adding only a CAI will throw a CEL. So the first mod on this car has to be some sort of computer management. But, with just a handheld tuner and a CAI, you will get somewhere on the average of 30 RWHP. Changing the exhaust will add little if any HP, (its mostly for asthetics).
    Family fun: 2010 BMW M3 Sedan; STOCK
    Single fun: 2012 Mustang Boss 302; STOCK
    SOLD to my Brother: 02 WRX Sedan / Short throw, K+N drop in, Helix up and down pipe, Borla Hush twin tip, Whiteline sways and endlinks, KYB GR2s, Swift springs, Cobb Stage 2
    SOLD: 05 Mustang GT Convertible / blown and tuned by Dynospeed Racing, Memphis TN

Quote Originally Posted by Herknav

Everyone is magazine racing here... all because you can't quantify the driver. One description includes "perfect driving" but still credits the car.. come on guys! Claim some of your own credit.

*I* have both a Cobb Stage 2 WRX and an 05 GT and that GT will walk up and down all over that WRX. I love them both, but displacement wins, sorry.

As far as the 05 GT and bolts ons... Right now, there is not very much on the market for the 05, (compared to the previous model mustangs). remember, the 05 is a 3 valve motor, whereas the previous GTs were 2 valve, (and Cobras are all 4v), so the majority of bolt ons are not useable.

The 05 computer is very sensitive to changes. Adding only a CAI will throw a CEL. So the first mod on this car has to be some sort of computer management. But, with just a handheld tuner and a CAI, you will get somewhere on the average of 30 RWHP. Changing the exhaust will add little if any HP, (its mostly for asthetics).
    big difference between cobb stage 2 and cobb stage 2.5. cobb stage 2.5 uses a vf34, bigger injectors, it pushed around 260 WHP, cobb stage 2 pushes about 220 whp.

Quote Originally Posted by Herknav

If you've run both at the track I'm sure you know that a stage 2 is close in the 1/4 with the 05 Mustang GT assuming competent drivers in both, but probably gets passed quickly anywhere past about 90mph, or from a rolling start anywhere past about 40. I've ran as quick as 13.7 @ 99 in what was a very basic stage 2 setup (just TBE and the AP maps, no other supporting mods), but I've seen stage 2's hit as low as 13.40's in the 99-100mph area with a more complete setup, easily enough to pull with the Mustang.

As stated above, there is quite a difference between a Stage 2 and 2.5 (about 40+whp difference) and even more if the WRX has a custom Pro-tune instead of just the standard 2.5 maps loaded(usual results with a custom tune are around 290-310whp).

My car at stage 2.5 traps on average easily 5-6mph higher than I ever did as stage 2, around 97-99 avg in stage 2, 102-104 avg in the 2.5. With a custom tune I should easily be in the 106+ area. Members on these board with custom mapped VF34 setups have trapped as high as 110-112. There arent many stock N/A mustangs that will take a decently driven VF34'd WRX from any speed, and from a stop even the S/C ones will have a hard time if they're stock and not very experienced drivers.
    Last edited by 04wrx4keeps; 09-30-2005 at 05:49 PM.
    Cobb Stage 2.5 VF-34 + uppipe
    Best ET so far - 13.1@103 with a 1.81 60'

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.