Mustang GT - DEBADGED!

This is a discussion on Mustang GT - DEBADGED! within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I was going to lunch with an employee of mine and we were in a two-wide turn lane behind a ...

Mustang GT - DEBADGED!

I was going to lunch with an employee of mine and we were in a two-wide turn lane behind a black 03-04 Mustang with the GT bumper, but no exhaust tips whatsoever. So we go around the corner and it only had the Mustang badge -- no GT badge on it. So as I start to go by he floors it and takes off impressively. Then we get to the next light in front side by side. I asked and yes it's a debadged GT. The light turns green and I go ... I didn't hear anything so I backed off and then saw him in my side view mirror flying by. I hit it again but by then I was already waaay behind. I got owned by a stock '03-'04 debadged Mustang GT with no exhaust tips.

So the lesson, boys and girls, is that if you're racing, NEVER let off until you're sure the race is over. I assumed since he didn't launch at the light that he wasn't racing. I was wrong.
    WRX 2004 Cobb Stage II (91) w/Helix DP ... 13.8@96.

I need an uppipe and an exhaust!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Why would someone do that? Its not like a stock mustang GT is even fast?
    2009 wrx Dark grey metallic

If he didnt have exhaust tips wouldn.t it be loud? I think it might have been a V6 and you coulnd't see the single tip exhaust, things are jusy not adding up.
    Current Vehicle: 2006 Volvo S60 R Sonic Blue/Atacama
    SOLD:
    2006 Graphite Gray Evo IX
    2004 STi
    2003 SVT Cobra
    2003 SVT Lightning
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffbmx00 View Post
    my friend has a 5.0 too, they are slow, the only way to decently make them fast is to drop a v8 explorer engine in them.

Will ... I don't know. I just don't know. It's bad enough that he had a debadged Mustang but to take off the exhaust tips? Makes no sense to me.

Juice ... It was very loud. It actually sounded like a car with no muffler on it. Like crap to be honest, but he liked it and to each his own.

In fact he bragged about both. I said ... "Is it a GT?" and he said, "Yeah. With an exhaust but I don't have any tips. There's nothing that says GT on it."

I said ... "Cool."

Oh and then he said ... "If you had an STI you'd whoop me. But it's just a WRX right?"

I said ... "Yeah."

Like I said though ... it's his car he can do what he wants. But the fact is I know I would kill the guy in a 1/4 mile race, since I live my life a quarter-mile at a time and all. I should go to the track again. I haven't been there in MONTHS!

stage 2 wrx kills a GT from a roll or stop

I just saw that you said "you didn't hear anything" That is what threw me off. Kid sounds like a domestic ricer
    New Numbers
    466 rwhp
    473 rwtq
    XX Tuning tuned
    Southpaw = Ricer with a vette & 2 Gay 2 Curios (well not yet anyway!)

Quote Originally Posted by Slick:6:STi
    I just saw that you said "you didn't hear anything" That is what threw me off. Kid sounds like a domestic ricer

That was me.
    Current Vehicle: 2006 Volvo S60 R Sonic Blue/Atacama
    SOLD:
    2006 Graphite Gray Evo IX
    2004 STi
    2003 SVT Cobra
    2003 SVT Lightning
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffbmx00 View Post
    my friend has a 5.0 too, they are slow, the only way to decently make them fast is to drop a v8 explorer engine in them.

Quote Originally Posted by Slick:6:STi
    Sorry guys my fault. I meant I didn't hear him take off. Since it was loud I fully expected ear-piercing Mustangness and the squealing of RWD, but nothing. That's what I meant. I didn't hear him launch, so I thought he wasn't racing.

My bad!

T

I met a guy with a GT who did that. He had a full SVT cobra bodykit and no exhaust tips comming out the back at all, I talked to the guy and he said he had just taken the exhaust off right before the mufler (guess he likes to choke on exhaust fumes ). I thought it actually sounded pretty good (at first I thought it was a Cobra with an exhaust), but after talking to him I found out it was totaly stock with just the muffler thing . I deffinatly think that HAS to be about as hillbilly-ricer as youcan get...
    Cobb Stage 2.5 VF-34 + uppipe
    Best ET so far - 13.1@103 with a 1.81 60'

its common for mustangs to take off the tips or even the mufflers, they call it 'dumps' because well the tips dump to the ground.
    04 STi Blue
    2005 - 279WHP 306WTQ 13.1@105
    2006 - FPGreen
    LISC# 17 LongIslandSubaruClub.com

Quote Originally Posted by kevinh211
    its common for mustangs to take off the tips or even the mufflers, they call it 'dumps' because well the tips dump to the ground.
    Its common for civics to put $20 Advanced Auto Parts fart-cans on too, that doesnt mean its a good thing....

In a Mustang, dumps are a good thing because it gets rid of the restrictive "hoops" over the rear axle. Usually the truly fast Mustangs will have this and the posers will have the full chrome tips. Many cars with dumps still run dummy chromes out the back just to keep the look.
    John M
    2000 Lincoln Continental - slow DD with the DOHC 4.6 and a Superchips tune
    1992 Lexus SC400 - slow resto project
    2005 Legacy GT Limited - SOLD Feb 2011 - Forged internals, FP HTA Green @ 22 psi.

Quote Originally Posted by John M
    In a Mustang, dumps are a good thing because it gets rid of the restrictive "hoops" over the rear axle. Usually the truly fast Mustangs will have this and the posers will have the full chrome tips. Many cars with dumps still run dummy chromes out the back just to keep the look.
    I have seen pleanty of Mustangs (and other big V8's) that have dump exhausts right in front of the rear wheels, just behind the front ones or somewhere under there. All the ones I have seen were actually exhausts systems though, the tips of the 'dumps' were still usually aimed in a purposfull direction (like down and towards the side of the car so you dont suffocate). I just think that when someone just takes their stock axleback or catback section off and calls it a day is pretty ricey to me, the only people I see do this are kids that dont have money for a real exhaust...

I've pulled up next to pleanty of kids that when I asked what exhaust they had simply said "oh I just cut the muffler off". I've seen people do it on everything from a honda accord, to a 350Z, to a mustang GT, and a few other cars too. I just think that some kid simply pulling off his muffler and driving around is not only lazy and cheap, but ricey, whatever kind of car he drives.
    Last edited by 04wrx4keeps; 09-17-2005 at 01:06 PM.

also called turndown. my S10 had that because it was too low to run the piping all the way to the end