92' RS Camaro vs an O3 WRX? - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on 92' RS Camaro vs an O3 WRX? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; One thing that confuses the hell out of me is that everyone with a boxer or v-6/v-8 is telling me ...

One thing that confuses the hell out of me is that everyone with a boxer or v-6/v-8 is telling me that they're hard as hell to maintain cause of the rotary engine. I don't think thats true but I've heard an awful lot of rumors about it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by FoxRacer
    One thing that confuses the hell out of me is that everyone with a boxer or v-6/v-8 is telling me that they're hard as hell to maintain cause of the rotary engine. I don't think thats true but I've heard an awful lot of rumors about it.
    Its not so much that they are hard to maintain, they're just different to maintain than a piston engine. You want to change the oil more often ( I think like every 2k miles is what my friend always did, because rotaty's will burn oil durring normal use, so you have to make sure they always have enough), you should really let a rotary warm up before you drive it anywhere no matter what, and they will usually not survive any kind of signifigant overheating, from what I've heard this will cause them to blow apex-seals if I remember correctly.

My friend with the GXL and the other friend with the Turbo II both had alot of trouble finding good rotary mechanics. Alot of mechanics would try to tell him they knew rotaries well, and were really full of it. He had a hell of a time getting it tunned (I dont think he ever really did, he just ended up screwing it up himself).

They are sweet cars, but you will deffinatly hear lots of horror stories if you look far enough, lots of people blow motors in them etc... I'd say get a few good books on rotaty performance and tunning if you can, and read up. As long as you maintain them properly and dont abuse them rotary engines are great, its just people try to treat them just like they would a piston engine and then they get lots of problems eventually, hope that helps a little.
    Cobb Stage 2.5 VF-34 + uppipe
    Best ET so far - 13.1@103 with a 1.81 60'

The RX-7's were 15.0 or so cars stock when new. With a boost controller and exhaust you could probably get them into the high 13s.
    2005 WRX (Short throw shifter, lightweight pulley,STI Splitters,Tein H-Tech springs,Up/Down Pipe, ERZ Catback, Cobb Stage 2, ASA JH8 with Yokohama ES 100s) 13.680@100.46mph

Quote Originally Posted by 04wrx4keeps
    Its not so much that they are hard to maintain, they're just different to maintain than a piston engine. You want to change the oil more often ( I think like every 2k miles is what my friend always did, because rotaty's will burn oil durring normal use, so you have to make sure they always have enough), you should really let a rotary warm up before you drive it anywhere no matter what, and they will usually not survive any kind of signifigant overheating, from what I've heard this will cause them to blow apex-seals if I remember correctly.

My friend with the GXL and the other friend with the Turbo II both had alot of trouble finding good rotary mechanics. Alot of mechanics would try to tell him they knew rotaries well, and were really full of it. He had a hell of a time getting it tunned (I dont think he ever really did, he just ended up screwing it up himself).

They are sweet cars, but you will deffinatly hear lots of horror stories if you look far enough, lots of people blow motors in them etc... I'd say get a few good books on rotaty performance and tunning if you can, and read up. As long as you maintain them properly and dont abuse them rotary engines are great, its just people try to treat them just like they would a piston engine and then they get lots of problems eventually, hope that helps a little.
    That's defiently sounds like sound advice because like you said, most people around the area don't know how to fix rotary engines. So I guess I might as well stock up on information and prepare to get my hands dirty to avoid problems. Thanks 04.

Check out this site, its for the last gen RX7, but still lots of good information, and might be a good place to start http://www.robrobinette.com/index.htm
    Cobb Stage 2.5 VF-34 + uppipe
    Best ET so far - 13.1@103 with a 1.81 60'

Its defiently very helpful man, thanks again. A second gen RX-7 isn't too far from being that different from a third gen. I've already learned about a few definte mods that I need and how to do em'. So thanks again. I look forward to getting the race with my friends RS Camaro now.

The 5.0 RS were probably more of a high 15 second car with a good driver..but seriously...he should not be talking **** if he has one of those 305's. The TBI 305 was not a high point for chevy small blocks.
    04 Silver STi M6

Quote Originally Posted by Gloveperson
    The 5.0 RS were probably more of a high 15 second car with a good driver..but seriously...he should not be talking **** if he has one of those 305's. The TBI 305 was not a high point for chevy small blocks.
    How many different small blocks do all those Camaros have!?
    Quote Originally Posted by timber
    I think I would be more worried about my butt if it was Brian..
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX
    I was rect0wned.

Quote Originally Posted by FoxRacer
    How many different small blocks do all those Camaros have!?
    You mean from 1967 to 2002? A lot my friend....a lot.
    04 Silver STi M6

Ah. Well I was worried when he said he was getting the Camaro cause he seems to think it was pretty much like a Z28. But now, I guess I can take him.
    I was rect0wned.

Another question, he says he's putting in a V8 big block or something like that and I wont keep up. What was the stock engine on RS Camaros?
    I was rect0wned.

A 3.1 V6 that made like 110 RWHP.
    04 Silver STi M6

Quote Originally Posted by Gloveperson
    A 3.1 V6 that made like 110 RWHP.
    So how much difference to the performance of the Camaro will be once he puts a TLL V8 in it?
    I was rect0wned.

A TLL V8? Not entirely sure what that means, but it all depends on the engine he puts in. Chevy Small Blocks have been made for fifty years so it could be anywhere from the 305 we were talking about before, to the early 80's CFI engine that was slower than the 3.1 V6 the 92 RS, to an LS1 that would make the car run consistent mid 13's...low 13's would be possible, too.

I would imagine he is doing an LT1 swap which is very common. That would make him a low 14 seconc car trapping at about 100 mph.
    04 Silver STi M6

So then with does my RX7 stand a chance, that is stock to stock/mod to stock or mod to mod?
    I was rect0wned.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast