05 GTO vs STI -- who would win?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 05 GTO vs STI -- who would win? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; who would win between the mentioned vehicles? both manual transmissions. looking at a race from a dig or low roll ...

05 GTO vs STI -- who would win?

who would win between the mentioned vehicles? both manual transmissions. looking at a race from a dig or low roll (20mph). Both vehicles being stock. the GTO mentioned is the 400hp version...

trying to settle an argument at work...
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Hey, being the forum car ADD guy is better than being the forum OG.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Well nobody cares what you think, Seth

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

If the STi driver really knows how to drive, he will win from the dig (most likely) if it is just a 1/4 mile and no more.

From the roll, it all depends on what speed you end at. The GTO will spin at 20, I am guessing, so the STi will take the intial lead, but the higher the speed gets, the GTO should begin walking the STi. Also, while the STi is going into 5th, the GTo will still be in 3rd. So the more shifting the STi makes, that much slower it will be in accelerating.
    New Numbers
    466 rwhp
    473 rwtq
    XX Tuning tuned
    Southpaw = Ricer with a vette & 2 Gay 2 Curios (well not yet anyway!)

it would not be any longer than 1/4 mile, if even that far..closer to 1/8th probably. couple gear heads at work think a stock GTO would destroy an STI ...now their personal cars would (69 camaro with a built 327 and NOS - 98 camaro with over 600 rwhp - and 2 or 3 high power stangs), but i know better than to challenge their cars...
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Hey, being the forum car ADD guy is better than being the forum OG.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Well nobody cares what you think, Seth

If it is just 1/8 of mile, the STi probably would win because of traction.
    New Numbers
    466 rwhp
    473 rwtq
    XX Tuning tuned
    Southpaw = Ricer with a vette & 2 Gay 2 Curios (well not yet anyway!)

why argue about it, because you will never win if someone has their minds made up.

RACE THE CARS AND FIND OUT
    2004 STi

Blitz DTT-DCII
    COBB Stage 2
    Invidia Catless DP
    HKS Hiper Cat-back
    Greddy: EGT, Boost, Oil Press Gauges
    Perrin Oil Catch Can

Seth

Take it from someone who owns both and is not afraid to run them hard-standing start to the 1/8th STI, GTO (6M) after that if they are both stock.

From a roll if its a cold day GTO if its hot as balls drivers race...LS2 suffers from heat soak worse than a subie with a stock topmount.

Both of mine are stock for now

Mike

Yeah, when you're pitting a gto which probably dynos at 355rwhp and an sti that dynos at 240awhp, the gto will have the upper hand, even from a dead stop if the gto owner knows how to drive.

And from a roll, I'm sure the gto owner know better than to just stomp on the gas, so saying he'll spin from 20mph is kind of a, something....what word am I looking for....minsonception? I know my fwd car racing from a roll in 2nd will spin at 20mph, so when I race, I don't just stomp on the gas and hope I get traction some where down the line....if only it worked like that. And just because a car spins, doesn't mean it's not going any where, a little bit of spin will probably heat the tires up a bit and create a little more traction so he can put down the power.

Quote Originally Posted by YZFWV
    Yeah, when you're pitting a gto which probably dynos at 355rwhp and an sti that dynos at 240awhp, the gto will have the upper hand, even from a dead stop if the gto owner knows how to drive.

And from a roll, I'm sure the gto owner know better than to just stomp on the gas, so saying he'll spin from 20mph is kind of a, something....what word am I looking for....minsonception? I know my fwd car racing from a roll in 2nd will spin at 20mph, so when I race, I don't just stomp on the gas and hope I get traction some where down the line....if only it worked like that. And just because a car spins, doesn't mean it's not going any where, a little bit of spin will probably heat the tires up a bit and create a little more traction so he can put down the power.
    From a stop, STI on a good launch shoots 0-30 in 1.2 secs!! I doubt a GTO can match that initial pounce. GTOs are cool, but I don't see it beating an STI off the line if both cars are launched well. STIs are well known for beating more powerful cars off the line.
    95 Supra TT --BPU+ 420whp.
    05 Subaru STI --Cobb AP Stage 2 Protuned
    94 Integra GS-R --HIE/VTEC Controller.

Quote Originally Posted by garrettjj
    From a stop, STI on a good launch shoots 0-30 in 1.2 secs!! I doubt a GTO can match that initial pounce. GTOs are cool, but I don't see it beating an STI off the line if both cars are launched well. STIs are well known for beating more powerful cars off the line.
    0-60 times for both vehicles I found are

400hp gto = 4.8 car and driver
    sti = 4.6-4.9 on nasioc

even if the gto launches 2 10th's of a second slower, it will more than make up for it with the more than 100 whp difference. And I'm sure that the sti is well known for beating more powerful cars off the line, but with two professional drivers and a big gap of horse power like that, there's going to be less and less of a margin that an sti will be able to pull on a more powerful car.

Sure the sti can do 0-60 in about 4.7, but I bet it can't take a 600hp benz mclaren that can do 0-60 in 3 seconds (estimating)

Quote Originally Posted by YZFWV
    0-60 times for both vehicles I found are

400hp gto = 4.8 car and driver
    sti = 4.6-4.9 on nasioc

even if the gto launches 2 10th's of a second slower, it will more than make up for it with the more than 100 whp difference. And I'm sure that the sti is well known for beating more powerful cars off the line, but with two professional drivers and a big gap of horse power like that, there's going to be less and less of a margin that an sti will be able to pull on a more powerful car.

Sure the sti can do 0-60 in about 4.7, but I bet it can't take a 600hp benz mclaren that can do 0-60 in 3 seconds (estimating)
    Definately not saying in any way the STI can take a Mclaren. Strictly talking GTO or other cars which may be somewhat more powerful. I couldn't find any 0-30 info on the 05 GTO, but the 04 did it in 2 secs. Which is way more that 2/10ths difference. A .8 second difference from only to 30 mph is quite an advantage. I'm thinking with the extra power for the 05, maybe 1.8 or so. I don't want to get too crazy about numbers, but point I was making is the STI is faster off the line and the 05 GTO makes up the ground due to it's superior horsepower.

who the f' races from 0-30?
    Ryan
    2003 REDFIRE COBRA

pullied, sprayed, ported

From a roll hands down a GTO.

From a dig, depends on atm pressure, temperature, drivers, tire pressure, driver skill, pump fuel quality, alignment of the moons, ect.

I would generally not get in this kind of discussion with a big block fan. Sure straight line speed is important but so are so many other aspects of the car. Thatís what makes it great. Drag strips, race tracks, and dirt roads are all handled by the STi very well with much less. It's continuing to compete (and win) against other cars out of its price range. Unlike the GTO.

Quote Originally Posted by StngStr
    who the f' races from 0-30?
    Never said it was a race to 30 and then it's over. Just noting the cars performance from a standing stop.

I've owned both cars

The STi is a faster car 0-60mph because of its awd launch.

They are basically dead even in a 1/4 mile race.

High performance Pontiac ran 13.2 @ 106 mph in high heat and humidity in a bone stock 05 GTO (with spare tire, etc) That's a nice time in the summer heat.

At higher speeds there is no comparison. The GTO is just flat out faster. There is no way a stock STi can keep up with an 05 GTO at higher speeds.

My stock STi was rather slow at higher speeds (compared to my 05 GTO)

Quote Originally Posted by SGOSWRX
    I've owned both cars

The STi is a faster car 0-60mph because of its awd launch.

They are basically dead even in a 1/4 mile race.

High performance Pontiac ran 13.2 @ 106 mph in high heat and humidity in a bone stock 05 GTO (with spare tire, etc) That's a nice time in the summer heat.

At higher speeds there is no comparison. The GTO is just flat out faster. There is no way a stock STi can keep up with an 05 GTO at higher speeds.

My stock STi was rather slow at higher speeds (compared to my 05 GTO)

Exactly !!!!

Which means your co-workers will lose because they think it can slaughter and STi.
    You see, your co-workers think the GTO will win by bus lengths and they will not be satisfied if you lose by a half car length or car length

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast