05 GTO vs STI -- who would win? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on 05 GTO vs STI -- who would win? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I think I could take a stock GTO in a stock STi in the 1/4. From a roll...about say...60...fugetaboutit....

I Support ClubWRX
    I think I could take a stock GTO in a stock STi in the 1/4. From a roll...about say...60...fugetaboutit.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by YBNormal07
    I think I could take a stock GTO in a stock STi in the 1/4. From a roll...about say...60...fugetaboutit.

I probably could too. If I had a choice of an STi or a GTO for a 1/4 mile race ( for pinks), I would take the STi. Having experience behind the wheel in an STi (1.66 sec 60' times), the GTO would have some serious catch up to do. (most pull 2.1- 2.2 sec 60' times stock (average driver)

As you mentioned don't try one from a roll at higher speeds. The GTO is really strong up top (especially 4th gear and up- 95 +mph). In my stock 05 GTO I pulled 2-3 cars in a matter of seconds racing a new EVO from a roll. I would expect a similar situation against an STi.

Quote Originally Posted by SGOSWRX
    I probably could too. If I had a choice of an STi or a GTO for a 1/4 mile race ( for pinks), I would take the STi. Having experience behind the wheel in an STi (1.66 sec 60' times), the GTO would have some serious catch up to do. (most pull 2.1- 2.2 sec 60' times stock (average driver)

As you mentioned don't try one from a roll at higher speeds. The GTO is really strong up top (especially 4th gear and up- 95 +mph). In my stock 05 GTO I pulled 2-3 cars in a matter of seconds racing a new EVO from a roll. I would expect a similar situation against an STi.
    sgo why did you go back to the rwd after getting rid of them for the awd cars?

Quote Originally Posted by BamBooI
    sgo why did you go back to the rwd after getting rid of them for the awd cars?

Basically for the fun of it. I may go back in the future.
    AWD is great for traction and my STi handled great (million times better than my GTO). But it wasn't the funniest thing to live with day to day. You can't do smokey burnouts or launch the car all the time. I practice launching all the time in my GTO, and I don't worry about breaking parts. RWD is a much better overall setup for drag racing.
    I also plan on doing a Head/cam setup in the near future. That should give me 450 - 500 rwhp. There's also a lot of support ( dyno and performance tuners) in my area for the LS1/LS2 powered vehicles.

I found it hard to find a skilled tuner in my area for my Subaru. I was basically on my own.

But the main reason I bought the GTO is how well it cruises on the highway. It's so smooth, comfortable, and fast (the opposite of my STi). The STi got a little annoying on the highway. It was noisy (rattles etc). The ride was rough, and it didn't have all that much power up top. Coming back from Tampa in my stock STi I was followed by a friend in his new V6 Accord. I could barely pull on him at speeds over 110mph. Thats a little sad.

I loved my WRX and my STi but it was time for a change.

The cars are so different. I chose power and comfort over traction and handling.

Well I can say I've never raced an '05 GTO but I got into it with an '04 5.7L the other evening on my way home from work. It ended up about as I expected. From a stop I beat him out of the hole pretty good and ended up at about 85-90 a bit ahead. Then we got onto the interstate. Came around the loop and opened it up with him behind me and stayed ahead until about 90 when he switched lanes and opened it up. By 100 we were even and by 110 he was a bit ahead and pulling away. Top end SUCKS on the Rex!

So the way I see it at a track the STI (or Stage II WRX) would be able to take the GTO, but from a roll the GTO would win. But of course that's the 5.7, not the 6.0. I'd like to find one of those someday but I want to finish my uppipe/exhaust efforts first.

Another thing you have to take into account is driver. I've seen people run lower times on my setup but I've seen people run higher times on my setup. Hell I've beat cars I was supposed to lose to and lost to cars I was supposed to beat strictly on driving skill.

T
    WRX 2004 Cobb Stage II (91) w/Helix DP ... 13.8@96.

I need an uppipe and an exhaust!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12