My Stage 2 WRX vs. R32 w/ intake, exhaust, chip
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on My Stage 2 WRX vs. R32 w/ intake, exhaust, chip within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I raced a guy I know last night who's got an R32 with intake, exhaust, and a chip. I've got ...

My Stage 2 WRX vs. R32 w/ intake, exhaust, chip

I raced a guy I know last night who's got an R32 with intake, exhaust, and a chip. I've got an uppipe, catless exhaust, and an AP flashed to stage 2. This was literally the first time I've launched my car in over a year. I'll spare you the unnecessary details but lets just say we both got decent launches... not great but decent. He got a slight jump at the line and my 1-2 shift is and always has been embarassingly slow. When I got into second my front bumper was right on his rear bumper. Through the top of second, still right on his rear bumper. Through the top of third, still right on his rear bumper. I really dont think I lost or gained even a foot from the time I shifted into second to the time I shifted into 4th. He let off after I shifted into 4th, which was fine by me.
    All in all a good run... makes me think the cars are incredibly well matched, and that he was just a slightly better driver that day. Like I said I havent launched my car in over a year and really baby the crap out of it on an everyday basis so I'm definitely not the best driver out there due to lack of practice.
    Bryan
    edit: I should also add that his best time at the track is a 14.2 @ 97 with a 1.9 second 60' on a hot day. He said others with similar mods usually run about a 13.9. Considering that the AP Stage 2 should be capable of 13.3 or a 13.5 with an average driver, I'm a little stumped as to why I couldnt creep back into the game... but regardless R32s are nothing to underestimate, especially when modded.
    Last edited by Wrinkleboi; 08-19-2005 at 02:34 PM.

-2003 Blue WRX, complete 2007 STi Engine/Drivetrain transplant - Pic 1 | Pic 2 | Pic 3 | Pic 4 (new!)
    -1994 Black Supra TT 6MT - Pic | Build/Restoration Thread: 67mm, Fuel, Painted Engine Bay, Fuse Box Relocation, Wire Tuck, etc.

www.TriStateTuners.com
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Wrinkleboi
    I raced a guy I know last night who's got an R32 with intake, exhaust, and a chip. I've got an uppipe, catless exhaust, and an AP flashed to stage 2. This was literally the first time I've launched my car in over a year. I'll spare you the unnecessary details but lets just say we both got decent launches... not great but decent. He got a slight jump at the line and my 1-2 shift is and always has been embarassingly slow. When I got into second my front bumper was right on his rear bumper. Through the top of second, still right on his rear bumper. Through the top of third, still right on his rear bumper. I really dont think I lost or gained even a foot from the time I shifted into second to the time I shifted into 4th. He let off after I shifted into 4th, which was fine by me.
    All in all a good run... makes me think the cars are incredibly well matched, and that he was just a slightly better driver that day. Like I said I havent launched my car in over a year and really baby the crap out of it on an everyday basis so I'm definitely not the best driver out there due to lack of practice.
    Bryan
    edit: I should also add that his best time at the track is a 14.2 @ 97 with a 1.9 second 60' on a hot day. He said others with similar mods usually run about a 13.9. Considering that the AP Stage 2 should be capable of 13.3 or a 13.5 with an average driver, I'm a little stumped as to why I couldnt creep back into the game... but regardless R32s are nothing to underestimate, especially when modded.

nice race, go practice launching agains thats where that race would of bin won and the mid 13sec times slips are shown.

your sig is awesome, takumi did kick that lan evo's ass. hochiroku!
    RayfieldsWRX - "You like the feel of torque steer? Interesting"
    jd92677 - "I like the idea of mashing the gas and not knowing which way the car will go."
    -02 WRX 13.8@96 stock SOLD
    -04 SRT-4 626whp SOLD.
    -04 STi 13.3@102 stock. SOLD
    -04 SRT4 388whp DD SOLD

Registered User uncle lewie wrx's Avatar
    My friend just got a brand new R32. He is breaking it in, so we havent run yet, Im cobb stage 2 as well.
    All he has so far is an intake, but should be doing more upgrades soon.
    Nice run.
    Uncle Lewie
    06 Aspen White STi w/ Gold BBS's

i raced one with exactly the same mods from 50 to like 120 and neither one of us could pull on the other. i work with the guy that owns it and he's always bragging about how fast it is and how his awd is so much more "sophisticated" than mine, but he can only manage to run low 15"s at bristol. I think his best time was a 14.8. Oh well, i still love my suby .

oh yeah, im also cobb stg 2

you lost the race cuz you were depending on raw power alone. wrx's aren't fast cars stock... the launch is what seperates them from being a 15 sec car and a 14 sec car. without a launch, many many cars will whoop on the wrx. even with a upgraded turbo and all the goodies... the car isn't THAT fast without the launch. (ok, its not bad... i still pull on a lot of guys thinking they're fast, but i dont murder them like if i had a launch)
    Yes, that is me in my avatar! Kid's don't try this at home.
    CLICKY to view My Extensive Mod List!

Quote Originally Posted by urabus726
    i raced one with exactly the same mods from 50 to like 120 and neither one of us could pull on the other. i work with the guy that owns it and he's always bragging about how fast it is and how his awd is so much more "sophisticated" than mine, but he can only manage to run low 15"s at bristol. I think his best time was a 14.8. Oh well, i still love my suby .
    me too, and people still don't think I can hang with a similarly modded wrx

Quote Originally Posted by SonicYellowWRX
    you lost the race cuz you were depending on raw power alone. wrx's aren't fast cars stock... the launch is what seperates them from being a 15 sec car and a 14 sec car. without a launch, many many cars will whoop on the wrx. even with a upgraded turbo and all the goodies... the car isn't THAT fast without the launch. (ok, its not bad... i still pull on a lot of guys thinking they're fast, but i dont murder them like if i had a launch)

you do realize that the R32 is AWD right? cause i really dont follow what you're saying here...
    bryan

-2003 Blue WRX, complete 2007 STi Engine/Drivetrain transplant - Pic 1 | Pic 2 | Pic 3 | Pic 4 (new!)
    -1994 Black Supra TT 6MT - Pic | Build/Restoration Thread: 67mm, Fuel, Painted Engine Bay, Fuse Box Relocation, Wire Tuck, etc.

www.TriStateTuners.com

you do realize that the R32 is AWD right? cause i really dont follow what you're saying here...
    bryan
    You do realize the R32 actually makes power right?

WRX makes a whopping 160hp to the wheels. R32 has a factory claimed 240hp... well its wheel hp is actually close to that figure. On top of that, torque from a V6 > turbo flat 4.

The difference is that the R32 is heavier, but once you get moving weight isn't as much of an issue.
    Yes, that is me in my avatar! Kid's don't try this at home.
    CLICKY to view My Extensive Mod List!

i actually rode in the guy's R32 that i raced and yeah its fast, and it does have alot of torque, but i dont think it pulls any harder than my stg 2 does.

drop the attitude sonic... what you're saying really doesnt make any sense.
    the fact is that from the time i shifted into second to the time i shifted into fourth neither car pulled at all. that would indicate that the power (or power/weight/gearing combo) each car is making is quite similar. the only advantage the R32 had in the race was a more experienced driver.
    bryan

www.TriStateTuners.com

wow, Im suprised as well that you didnt pull on him at all...

kinda dissapointed to be honest.. =(

i mean with your WRX being stage two and all it should be at about 280 ~ 285 at the crank..

and the R32 is only 240 stock... lets say... 260- 265 at the crank after his mods...

less power and more weight.... and your wrx couldnt play catch up, then again... his gearing is probably a lot better, plus with it being a V6 Naturally aspirated, no turbo lag. ...

k nevermind, that actually does make a lot of sense then.

nice race. maybe you'll get him next time
    they call STi's STDs because everyone is getting them.

i'd give him a bit more credit for the intake, exhaust and a chip... you know those VWs and their damned chips.
    we both estimated that our cars fall around 220 whp give or take.
    bryan

www.TriStateTuners.com

drop the attitude sonic... what you're saying really doesnt make any sense.
    the fact is that from the time i shifted into second to the time i shifted into fourth neither car pulled at all. that would indicate that the power (or power/weight/gearing combo) each car is making is quite similar. the only advantage the R32 had in the race was a more experienced driver.
    bryan
    I get what Sonic is saying sort of. The only reason the wrx runs low to mid 15's is because of the AWD launch. Take that away and the car is a high 14sec car. Where as the R32 is not as dependent on it launch, which is demonstrated through its trap speed. R32 will run a 14.1 @ 99mph and a WRX will run a 14.1 @ 94mph. That is basically what he is saying, the R32 still has a nice power band, lots of torque, etc.. Where as a stock wrx is pretty damn dependent on its launch, and anyone that has ever had to play catch up in their stock wrx against a low 15sec or high 14sec car without a launch can attribute to this claim.

BTW, your friend with the R32 needs to learn how to drive. 14.2 @ 97mph w/ intake, exhaust, chip is pretty bad. That car should be good for 13.4-13.8 with those mods and trapping anywhere from 100mph-103mph.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

well like i said, he told me others with his same mods are hitting 13.9... and he said his 14.2 was on a hot day.
    regardless, any AWD car can get off the line relatively well, and we both got decent launches. i'm basing my opinion on what happened in real life, not a magazine stat, and i'm telling you we were dead even.
    bryan

www.TriStateTuners.com

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.