My Stage 2 WRX vs. R32 w/ intake, exhaust, chip - Page 3
Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

This is a discussion on My Stage 2 WRX vs. R32 w/ intake, exhaust, chip within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by fengshui The R32 is not under-anything. It is overrated, over expensive, and over weight. Its a good ...

Quote Originally Posted by fengshui
    The R32 is not under-anything. It is overrated, over expensive, and over weight. Its a good thing they are sold in low numbers because I wouldn't want too many people thinking they are driving an HPA Twin Turbo when they are actually driving a weak V6 engined hatchback with an AWD system made for housewives.

-Chris
    this coming from a guy driving a bolt on wrx
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by ellinopedo182
    The R32 is underrated and underestimated. the r32 is closer to 250hp instead of the 240hp that they say. Anyways, as i have earlier stated, a stock wrx is no match to a stock r32, if both drivers are equal. There is about a 5mph difference in trap speeds, favoring the R32. from a roll, the wrx should have less of a chance, because the launch is not a factor. In my opinion, and from what i understand, a Stage 2 WRX vs. R32 with chip, intake, and free exhaust mod will be pretty even. Sure the Stage 2 WRX will have around 270-280hp while the R32 with those mods is probably around 265-270hp. The R32 may have less hp, but both cars probably are putting about the same hp to the wheels, seeing that the WRX is all time awd and the R32 is fwd biased from a roll. Plus, an R32 with those mods usually hit 13.4-13.8mph at 100-103mph, with two recorded runs of 13.2 with the exact mods.

DTR REX has it pretty much down in an earlier reply though.
    Peter

Most stage II wrx's have an up-pipe and are closer to 300hp then they are to 270hp. A stage II wrx with just a downpipe is probably close to 280 since a stage I wrx with stock exhaust and just a flash is 260hp.
    2005 WRX (Short throw shifter, lightweight pulley,STI Splitters,Tein H-Tech springs,Up/Down Pipe, ERZ Catback, Cobb Stage 2, ASA JH8 with Yokohama ES 100s) 13.680@100.46mph

I thought I would chime in here since I ran an R32 last spring on the highway. I was coming home from my girlfriend's parent's house when I saw a blue R32 merging on. He saw me as well and merged onto the highway with authority and got right next to me. We both punch it and he immediatly pulled ahead about a fender. Then my turbo spools and I slowly started catching up and pass him. In the end I took back the fender and was about a fendor or two in front of him. We raced from 60mph to 120mph. Great guy - he pullled up next to me and gave me the thumbs up, and I returned the favor and we went our seperate ways at the highway split. It was a great race - it was really exciting as I started ever so slowly starting passing him once I was on boost. I don't know if he had any mods or not, but it was a great looking car and had one of the best sounding exhaust sytems I've ever heard(I also really like the Blue color on the R32's). I am Cobb stage II.
    well you must have the factory option of unbeatable...

Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex
    this coming from a guy driving a bolt on wrx

ironic, aint it? Well, the person who taught me the most about cars and never failed to impress me with his knowledge drives a stock 97 Camry. We are all on this board because we drive, or once drove a wrx. i dont see what your saying.

EDIT: what's all this garbage? Turboback exhaust, uppipe, mbc@16psi, hoses, sts.

Exactly my point, even with simple bolt-ons the WRX can transform into a car that still hangs with cars sold today to "outperform" it. Unless the competition is looking good in your plush leather interior getting HJs by 50 year old German beer wenches, then the R32 is overrated.

Hey, I know "German Quality" because my almost 20 year old E30 BMW is still running smooth and you know what, VW doesn't impress me at all these days (Sorry Tan, I still love your TDI Golf!).
    Moderator: Retired
    2002 Subaru Impreza WRX Sedan 5MT - Road Rally - Best 1/4mi: 13.954 @ 97.36mph (3448 lbs)
    2001 Mazda Miata 5MT - AutoX #99 (NNJ Region SCCA 2005 CStock Champion)
    1988 BMW 325 (2.7L "i" conversion) Sedan 5MT - Daily Driver (AutoX soon!)
    "If you can't drive this car fast you can't drive fast." --British Magazine, CAR, on the WRX

Quote Originally Posted by wrxracer87
    By the way (fengshui) I just had to say that those extra lights that you have on your wrx in that picture look awsome.
    Thanks, I use them for TSD rallies. The toughest, most exciting one is in the Pine Barrens of NJ and its run at night. In fact, I have one tommorow, but it'll be over before dark. From the lights to the mudflaps, I make use of all the mods I have done (even the tinted windows keep the car cool )

-Chris
    2002 Subaru Impreza WRX Sedan 5MT - Road Rally - Best 1/4mi: 13.954 @ 97.36mph (3448 lbs)
    "If you can't drive this car fast you can't drive fast." --British Magazine, CAR, on the WRX

The R32 is not under-anything. It is overrated, over expensive, and over weight. Its a good thing they are sold in low numbers because I wouldn't want too many people thinking they are driving an HPA Twin Turbo when they are actually driving a weak V6 engined hatchback with an AWD system made for housewives.

-Chris
    Sorry, it is under-rated. Yes, it is quite expensive for what it is, but dont forget what u get. They are sold in low numbers because they are a collector item per say. There are less the 5000 R32's in the country, and probably 30000+ WRX's in the country, if not MORE. You tell me which one is more rare and wont depreciate. Hmm, the R32. They are selling used right now for just about as much as they are new. I feel the same way with WRX's. Weak 4 cylinder turbo (compared to the market) that barely puts down 165whp stock. Many put some mods on their WRX's and think they are driving an easystreet WRX. Don't forget, i have a WRX which probably can make ur WRX look like an intrepid... oh and its automatic too !

oh, and weak v6 eh? for being a 3.2L V6 putting out closer to 250hp... its not that bad compared to the competition.

You are right, AUDI awd systems (haldex, quattro) are crap. Only house wives should drive them.

At the end, you buy what u like and not what others think.
    my R32 on CarDomain

Golf R32
    2004 SL500
    2000 M5 - SS exhaust, Xpipe, AFE Cold Air Intakes, Proj39 Angel Eyes, Carbon Fiber kidney grills, LED taillights... 111mph traps. soon, dinan ecu upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by ellinopedo182
    Sorry, it is under-rated. Yes, it is quite expensive for what it is, but dont forget what u get. They are sold in low numbers because they are a collector item per say. There are less the 5000 R32's in the country, and probably 30000+ WRX's in the country, if not MORE. You tell me which one is more rare and wont depreciate. Hmm, the R32. They are selling used right now for just about as much as they are new. I feel the same way with WRX's. Weak 4 cylinder turbo (compared to the market) that barely puts down 165whp stock. Many put some mods on their WRX's and think they are driving an easystreet WRX. Don't forget, i have a WRX which probably can make ur WRX look like an intrepid... oh and its automatic too !

oh, and weak v6 eh? for being a 3.2L V6 putting out closer to 250hp... its not that bad compared to the competition.

You are right, AUDI awd systems (haldex, quattro) are crap. Only house wives should drive them.

At the end, you buy what u like and not what others think.
    None of your arguments are convincing as to why the R32 is underrated unless all you care about is resale value. In which case you are no different from a daily commuter. Compared to other V6s coming out of Japan the VR6 is not impressive (sorry it just isn't so take a sit son). And if you actually know AWD systems, modern day "Quattro" has only a single torsen center diff and uses the ABS to help stop wheels that are slipping, not acutally attempt to put the torque you want to the pavement (Haldex is basically FWD, then uses clutches actively to send tq back, and is no better than "Quattro). So is it worse than Acura SH-AWD, Mitsu's ACD/AYC, and STi's DCCD? Yes Audi, Porsche (single center viscous), BMW, Volvo, and VDuhb all use AWD systems that are more geared towards saving your sorry unskilled driver's ass than for going faster on pavement, gravel, snow, etc...

So before you come defending your overweight, overpriced, Eurotrash-box do your homework or buy two and sell one for your HPA kit (still overweight). I am all open to talk about different cars and their capabilities but the VW R32 is far from the next white bread. And to boot, it stole the name of the Nissan Skyline GTR R32 (which is a far better car with a 2.6 I-6 and AWD).

My suggestion is to stop buying cars and join the SCCA and don't play a game with a sicilian when death is on the line

-Chris
    Last edited by fengshui; 08-28-2005 at 07:09 PM.

For those magazine racers here are the data panels. Seems like a decent stock to stock match up (stock $24.5K WRX vs stock $30.6K R32):

http://www.roadandtrack.com/assets/d..._panel.pdf.pdf
    http://www.roadandtrack.com/reviews/...mpreza_wrx.pdf

Incidentally everyone knows that the stock WRX handling woes are mainly attributed to the RE92s and a simple tire change will equalize things quite a bit. Where should I be impressed?

I have a limited edition bottle cap, look at me.

-Chris

so im guessing the re92's are also why the wrx has such bad body roll? The R32 is compared to the STI in handling, so i assume that by changin the tires on your wrx, you will handle as good as an STI? Hard to believe. You seem like that kind of guy that criticize about other cars without ever driving them.

The R32 comes with better tires, better rims, better seats, better interior, better stearing wheel, bigger engine, more hp, more torque, better handling, better exhaust note, more 'sophisticated' technology, a body kit, linear power bands, limited production... im sorry, but all the extras that come with the R32 equal up to its price.

yes, the wrx usually runs mid 14's stock and the r32 usually runs low 14's stock... thats with decent drivers. But the r32 will always have about 4-5mph differences in traps. how about u run a stock r32 and a stock wrx from a 5 mph roll wont be too nice.
    my R32 on CarDomain

Golf R32
    2004 SL500
    2000 M5 - SS exhaust, Xpipe, AFE Cold Air Intakes, Proj39 Angel Eyes, Carbon Fiber kidney grills, LED taillights... 111mph traps. soon, dinan ecu upgrade.

None of your arguments are convincing as to why the R32 is underrated unless all you care about is resale value. In which case you are no different from a daily commuter. Compared to other V6s coming out of Japan the VR6 is not impressive (sorry it just isn't so take a sit son). And if you actually know AWD systems, modern day "Quattro" has only a single torsen center diff and uses the ABS to help stop wheels that are slipping, not acutally attempt to put the torque you want to the pavement (Haldex is basically FWD, then uses clutches actively to send tq back, and is no better than "Quattro). So is it worse than Acura SH-AWD, Mitsu's ACD/AYC, and STi's DCCD? Yes Audi, Porsche (single center viscous), BMW, Volvo, and VDuhb all use AWD systems that are more geared towards saving your sorry unskilled driver's ass than for going faster on pavement, gravel, snow, etc...

So before you come defending your overweight, overpriced, Eurotrash-box do your homework or buy two and sell one for your HPA kit (still overweight). I am all open to talk about different cars and their capabilities but the VW R32 is far from the next white bread. And to boot, it stole the name of the Nissan Skyline GTR R32 (which is a far better car with a 2.6 I-6 and AWD).

My suggestion is to stop buying cars and join the SCCA and don't play a game with a sicilian when death is on the line

-Chris
    Man, youre defending an overweight (the wrx is overweight for what it is), overpriced, rice burner. Overweight... at 3050lbs+ it is pretty heavy for what its supposed to be. Over priced, um... i can get a neon srt-4, or cobalt and teach the wrx a lesson. And, it is a riceburner, you cant say anything about it.

regardless, being that i am 'eurotrash' i am happy with my euro trash boxes that i have.

thanks for explaining to me the reason why i bought my r32, just so i can save my sorry unskilled ass when i push the gas a bit to hard around a corner and all that torque forces the car forward... oh im sorry, do u know what torque is... i see you are driving a wrx.
    my R32 on CarDomain

Golf R32
    2004 SL500

Hey no need to get worked up. Just take it easy as you commute to and fro with your little Golf. Occassionally taking to the race track to give yourself goosebumps running mid 13s. But from the way you conduct yourself its obvious you don't really know what its like to DRIVE.

BTW, I get better raw times than stock STis and EVO @ my local autocross in a stock base model Miata with 195 Goodyear F1s. Your little R32 would be nothing more than hors d'oeuvres and I don't even need to use my "torqueless" WRX.

-Chris

Hey no need to get worked up. Just take it easy as you commute to and fro with your little Golf. Occassionally taking to the race track to give yourself goosebumps running mid 13s. But from the way you conduct yourself its obvious you don't really know what its like to DRIVE.

BTW, I get better raw times than stock STis and EVO @ my local autocross in a stock base model Miata with 195 Goodyear F1s. Your little R32 would be nothing more than hors d'oeuvres and I don't even need to use my "torqueless" WRX.

-Chris
    I was going to give a rather detailed and elaborate post refuting much of what you have said in this thread... but this last post.. Has proven to me that you are obviously not worth the time and so far gone in your own world of ignorance it would be pointless trying to educate you.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

I'm closing this thread as it's gone way beyond useful at this point....
    All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand. - Steven Wright

Moderator, of the "Super" persuasion

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.