Electric motor assisted turbo?

This is a discussion on Electric motor assisted turbo? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; ??? http://rotarynews.com/node/view/381 ??? "Car and Driver Magazine is reporting Mazda will unveil the Electric-motor-assisted turbocharger at the October 2005 Tokyo ...

Electric motor assisted turbo?

???

http://rotarynews.com/node/view/381

???

"Car and Driver Magazine is reporting Mazda will unveil the Electric-motor-assisted turbocharger at the October 2005 Tokyo Auto Show. We give this rumor a good, about 70%, chance of being true.

This concept is the one that was first used on the Hydrogen RX-8 concept at the 2003 Tokyo Autoshow. The electric-motor-assist turbocharger is used to maximize the effectiveness of forced induction throughout the RPM range. At low engine speeds, beginning at approximately 1000 rpm, an electric motor operates to assist the turbocharger and increase induction efficiency. At high rpm, the turbocharger is driven in a traditional fashion, by the flow of exhaust gas alone.

We will have to wait to see what surprises Mazda has for us at the 2005 Tokyo Autoshow. Note that there is no Tokyo autoshow in 2004, as Tokyo plays host to a large commercial vehicle show. Expect to see more rumors circulate around the web for the next sixteen months. We will try to report on the best ones."

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by wrxaddicted
    ???

http://rotarynews.com/node/view/381

???

"Car and Driver Magazine is reporting Mazda will unveil the Electric-motor-assisted turbocharger at the October 2005 Tokyo Auto Show. We give this rumor a good, about 70%, chance of being true.

This concept is the one that was first used on the Hydrogen RX-8 concept at the 2003 Tokyo Autoshow. The electric-motor-assist turbocharger is used to maximize the effectiveness of forced induction throughout the RPM range. At low engine speeds, beginning at approximately 1000 rpm, an electric motor operates to assist the turbocharger and increase induction efficiency. At high rpm, the turbocharger is driven in a traditional fashion, by the flow of exhaust gas alone.

We will have to wait to see what surprises Mazda has for us at the 2005 Tokyo Autoshow. Note that there is no Tokyo autoshow in 2004, as Tokyo plays host to a large commercial vehicle show. Expect to see more rumors circulate around the web for the next sixteen months. We will try to report on the best ones."

so its a turbsuper charger. exhaust driven alternator assisted turbo/super charger. sounds like a cool idea.
    RayfieldsWRX - "You like the feel of torque steer? Interesting"
    jd92677 - "I like the idea of mashing the gas and not knowing which way the car will go."
    -02 WRX 13.8@96 stock SOLD
    -04 SRT-4 626whp SOLD.
    -04 STi 13.3@102 stock. SOLD
    -04 SRT4 388whp DD SOLD

I Support ClubWRX
    It's an old idea that may have finally reached it's time as technology finally makes it feasible. Just think of it this way too...if you spin the turbocharge early enough, it will creat a low pressure area in the exhaust manifold...this the expelled gases on the exhaust stroke would exit faster and the inlet stroke would enter faster..to a lower pressure area allowing the molecules to expand faster (and further apart)...thus allowing even more air and fuel at the point of stoich. Very interesting. I wonder how they decouple the electric motor once the turbo gets spinning? Frictionless clutch.

Wonder what next..a turbodriven alternater to drive the electric motor for the turbo? hehe
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

Mmmm anti-lag without the explosions. I think it's a great idea but a long way from reality, at least in the aftermarket that is.

isnt most of the benefit of turbo/supercharging the fact that you are using existing energy to boost power?

The turbo is great b/c it adds efficiency to a system. exhaust gasses represent a lot of energy that is essentially being wasted. harnessing waste and reusing / recycling it's energy to make more power makes sense. even a supercharger uses pullys and belts off the crank that would already be spinning anyways... why not densify some air while you're at it?

but to take extra energy to run a generator to do the same thing seems like the third best option...

i wonder how much boost the thing makes?

dR

yeah this is a little old. when i had my RX8, it was big time news of the time. they were still testing it to figure out how to make it work right.
    2005 Nissan 350z roadster
    Originally Posted by BrianH
    I can hit 10K more posts before a neon R/T will hit 60mph.