jetta 1.8t dyno for all those that actually care - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on jetta 1.8t dyno for all those that actually care within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; i've ran a couple of 20th anniversaries. One had almost every kind of bolt on possible, except a fmic. We ...

Lightbulb

i've ran a couple of 20th anniversaries. One had almost every kind of bolt on possible, except a fmic. We ran from a roll, and he would pull about a car (those turbos spool up fast down low) but i would easily be a car ahead of him by 80mph and pulling on him. This was when i was stock.

I also ran a 20th anniversary with chip, intake, turbo back, bov and we did it from a 5mph roll, and he got about 1 car length on me and at about 70 i was a car, 90 about two cars and pulling pretty hard. We slowed down, he told me his mods and i told him how i was stock and he commented how my car is a beast.

I also ran a 20th anniversary with Giac X+, intake, and catback (dont know what else), but we did it from a roll, 40 mph and we would be even for a second and i would start walking him pretty easily. This was the only race that i actually got to race from a stop, and i got a pretty weak launch (with a bog) but even with my bad launch, and his FWD traction problem, by 70-80 mph i was a good 5-6 cars in front of him. I had my chip intake at the time. Now i also have lighter rims (-35 to 40 pounds total from stock). I will find the link to this race because i got it on video so that you guys can see it. Hopefully i can find the race.

VIDEO ---> http://www.hsaloyola.com/r32/r32gti.mov
    20th ANNIVERSARY vs. Me (R32)

I should technically run a low/mid 13 @ 101-103 mph with my mods. I am right in par with a stage 2-2.5 WRX (i would like to see how id do against one after 100mph). This is the reason why i find it hard that a GLI (which is a bit heavier than the 20th GTI but has the same engine) will be able to beat a stage 2 wrx with just basic bolt ons (chip, intake, exhaust, turboback(downpipe+catback), diverter valve, etc.

No offense, i love the GLI, i own an R32... but a GLI with those mods will easily take out a stock wrx or anything lower than a stage 2 from a roll, but probably have a hard time from a stop.

Peter
    Last edited by ellinopedo182; 08-15-2005 at 05:52 PM.
    my R32 on CarDomain

Golf R32
    2004 SL500
    2000 M5 - SS exhaust, Xpipe, AFE Cold Air Intakes, Proj39 Angel Eyes, Carbon Fiber kidney grills, LED taillights... 111mph traps. soon, dinan ecu upgrade.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

There was an r32 that dynoed with us. He put down 224/214. I ran him from 60-100/120 and was pulling on him. Maybe I just got a super jetta

Quote Originally Posted by YZFWV
    edit: And to back up my questioning of 3+carlengths, there are people running 13's with the stock turbo and trapping over 100mph. What does a stage 2 wrx with a stock turbo run? 13's at 100 or so, and that's with the awd launch. So wouldn't the car trapping higher, and with a worse launch, be the car that pulls from a roll?
    You stated in your original post (and info) that you have an EIP stage 1 chip, right? and are getting ("with a few more bolt ons" implies that you dont have them yet) a fmic and downpipe. Bigwrxguy stated that he beat a car with "your mods", and with just a chip a stage 2 would probably pull at least 3 cars on you.

A good friend of mine had a GTI (which is lighter than the Jetta) like I stated above. I think he had the APR or Gerret chip if I remember correctly. He would consistantly run in the 14.4-14.7 range at 95-97mph. And with the intake and chip they claimed he should be in the 195-210whp range, so possibly a little more than you. With just a turboback I would usually pull slowly on him in my WRX, maybe a 1 to 1 1/2 cars from 40-100. After getting my accessport and flashing to stage 2 it would have been no contest, and he wouldnt ever race me so I never got to see exactly how much.

Get the FMIC and catless downpipe (and reflash your chip to match it) and then you should hang with (or 'slightly' pull on) your average stage 2 wrx. I think everyone on here's just trying to tell you to not get your hopes up too much right now, because a good running stage 2 WRX will most likely put 2-4 cars on you right now from a roll.
    Cobb Stage 2.5 VF-34 + uppipe
    Best ET so far - 13.1@103 with a 1.81 60'

I Support ClubWRX
    What isn't being mentioned here is the tq/hp curves. Do you have any dyno sheets? Bench racing with peak dyno power is rediculous.

And the weight difference is almost negligible from what I remember. The gti's weigh like 100 lbs less than a jetta. That could be offset by a number of things, like whether or not some one put a stereo in the car or if they're a pack rat or not...

Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    What isn't being mentioned here is the tq/hp curves. Do you have any dyno sheets? Bench racing with peak dyno power is rediculous.

the best way to describe it, until I get it scanned, torque peaks at 3.5k, and starts to fall, but not at too drastic a rate, and the hp climbs until about 6.25k rpms, but the car still keeps pulling as the rpms climb. It's not like once it hits 3.5k it slows down. A 1.8t similarly modded like mine will pull hard in 5th from 80-120, but after that it start to crawl because or drag/everything else.

Quote Originally Posted by YZFWV
    And the weight difference is almost negligible from what I remember. The gti's weigh like 100 lbs less than a jetta. That could be offset by a number of things, like whether or not some one put a stereo in the car or if they're a pack rat or not...
    The fact is a GTI with only a chip WILL NOT HANG with a stage 2 wrx, whether its 'only' 100lbs lighter or now. Not to mention if you want to bench race think about gearing, tires, aerodynamics etc. My friends GTI would not hang with my car with only a turbo back, we raced many many times, and he is a very good driver (he's autocrossed for years, and hes been driving standard for the 6+ years hes been driving and racing for all of them too). Plus he was probably putting down 10-15 more hp than you too. There is not a doubt in my mind my Stage 2 would have put at least 3 cars on a Jetta with just a chip.
    Cobb Stage 2.5 VF-34 + uppipe
    Best ET so far - 13.1@103 with a 1.81 60'

I Support ClubWRX
    I just snatched this dyno sheet from VWvortex. This sheet tells it all. High early peak power that drops like a rock. Here are his mods:
    03 Golf GTi 1.8T - KKK K03 Turbo 18psi, REVO ECU(4bar), SPS3 Variable Boost and Timing Controller, Carbonio CAI, 4Bar Fuel,TurboSmart DV, Techtonic 2.5" downpipe with high flow cat and NeuSpeed 60mm Cat-Back...

I just snatched this dyno sheet from VWvortex. This sheet tells it all. High early peak power that drops like a rock. Here are his mods:
    03 Golf GTi 1.8T - KKK K03 Turbo 18psi, REVO ECU(4bar), SPS3 Variable Boost and Timing Controller, Carbonio CAI, 4Bar Fuel,TurboSmart DV, Techtonic 2.5" downpipe with high flow cat and NeuSpeed 60mm Cat-Back...
    That says a lot, it might make all that torque down low but by 4000rpm it evens to 200/200 while the WRX at stage 2 holds it's power almost to redline.

thats exactly why i wanted him to scan his dyno sheet 2nd gear roll at 40 would destroy a jetta cause all its torque is gone by than. The only thing a 1.8t ever gets is a jump if you start at low enough speeds than you pass them like they are standing still. b4 at 4.5krpm its already at less than 190 torque, by 5k its under 175 already. Thats exactly what i was saying, stage 2 wrx will destory this type of car, it might get a jump if you start at low speeds but the wrx will pass it like its standing still ater a bit. If you start at like a 40-45mph roll in 2nd the jetta is just dead, no power, better off being in 3rd at that point for jetta. I love 1.8t (sock turbo)dyno graphs, they are freakn hillarious 2 me
    The Ghosts of Zooph and Sarcasmo Will haunt CLUBWRX forever!!!

I Support ClubWRX
    This is why I normally don't get impressed by large dyno numbers here. If the car is peaky, and has terrible driveability, It's not for me. Dyno sheets show an idea of what a car can do, but it doesn't tell anywhere near the whole story. So many other factors are involved. That alone makes bench racing pointless.

its sad, i've raced so many vw's that i know exactly what happens with most. Only vw that ever was too fast for me was my friends 20 ae gti with a gt30r(his on this forum). He sold that thing and put in a order for an evo 9. I've raced 2 of my friends have gli, guy with gt30r has had vw's all his life. Another guy had a gti which he hates so much, lease is finally over soon for him. One other guy who's on a local forum with us with his 1.8t gti. Too many vw's around. They all are easy to drive and shift early but they all just DIE off too early. Oh yeah, one of my friends also lemoned his gti cause his tranny dropped 3 or 4 times (but who's counting).
    The Ghosts of Zooph and Sarcasmo Will haunt CLUBWRX forever!!!

Stage 2 wagon right here in WV too. I live near Charleston, if you're nearby holler at me.

Jason
    1998 Turbo Neon..My own Stage 42
    2004 WRX Wagon....getting rid of it

wow
    whats a signature?

All you guys live on the -other- side of the state. It's such a long drive out there. Maybe I can hit up some of the VW guys and do a WV roadtrip and we can have a beat up on wrx day , but most of my friends are faster than me so it might turn out that way, they all have bt kits and all.

The torque drops off early, the car still pulls smoothely until 6k or so and I'm putting down more power than the guy with the revo. My dyno numbers were so low because of the heat. I still need to take it the the drag strip and it to see what kind of numbers I can get. I'm sure after several runs I can get some kind of launch down and get a base number.

But before I go big turbo I should be running about 210whp and 260 so ft/lbs of tq. The torque of course will start to drop off at 3.5k rpm, but the hp continues to climb. I still want to meet up with a wrx owner with any amount of mods under a turbo swap to see what happens with a couple of runs.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast