My 05 sti vs 1999 BMW M Coupe
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on My 05 sti vs 1999 BMW M Coupe within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; 1st Kill…It was Saturday and I was heading to the Whiskey Café Cruise Night off Route 17 in Lyndhurst (I ...

My 05 sti vs 1999 BMW M Coupe

1st Kill…It was Saturday and I was heading to the Whiskey Café Cruise Night off Route 17 in Lyndhurst (I think) New Jersey. I was meeting a friend there and was taking NYS Thruway to the NJ Garden State Parkway, to route 17. The exit off the Thruway to the GSP is a long left sweeping 2 lane up hill ramp.

Just prior to me reaching the off ramp (I was in the center lane of the Thruway as both lanes can exit) out of nowhere comes this 1999 BMW (yeah I know here we go again) Burgundy M roadster hardtop, I think they call it an M Coupe (240 HP stock 0-60 in 5.2 sec electrically limited to 137 mph but can achieve 155+ mph if speed limiter is defeated) passing me on the right at over 80 mph I was doing the 65 mph speed limit, there was pretty much traffic and this guy flies by me on the right. He continues to weave in and out of traffic till he finally runs into an idiot pack. At that point I decide I’ll have a closer look at him and the car.

Traffic begins to thin out and I shortly wind up behind him also going about 85 mph, he moves to the right and I come up along side of him just pacing him. He NEVER looks over at me although I know that he knows I’m there. He had a roll cage in the car and it sounded sweet but he still had the stock 4 pipes exhaust tips so I’m not sure of his mods.

Well I’m in 5th when he punches it, I down shift to fourth and catch right back up to him by the time I shift back to 5th I have about 2 cars on him buy the time we hit 120 I’m ahead by 3+ cars. I slow to about 70 and so does he I down shift to 4th and we repeat the action, this time he never gets ahead of me with the same 3+ car lead at the end. At 120 (I let off cause there is some traffic ahead) and let him catch up I slow down to the 65 mph speed limit in the right lane as he goes by I give him a big thumbs up, wouldn’t you know the guy never even looks my way.

I was surprised my sti did so well on a roll against the M Coupe as the only mod I have is the K&N Typhoon (damn AccessPORT better come today).
    There is no such thing as, "too much Horse Power"!

2005 STi CGM
    Cobb Stage 1
    K&N Typhoon Intake

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Nice way to pop your cherry. Congrats!
    New Numbers
    466 rwhp
    473 rwtq
    XX Tuning tuned
    Southpaw = Ricer with a vette & 2 Gay 2 Curios (well not yet anyway!)

good kill. You raced the slower ones, because the next model after that was good for very low 13's and 108mph traps. That car just looks so damn unique though, I am not sure that there is anything that even closely resembles it.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

e36 m3's are awesome cars, just not too powerful unless you start modding them. That engine put out 240 crank hp, no match for an sti. And unless the owner knew what he was driving, he would have expected the same outcome. They handle awesome though and you can get some serious power out of them. There's some with super charges and turbo kits running over 300whp, even though I think a basic turbo kit cost about $7k for one.

I was really looking at buying one of these before I got my jetta, but I was offered a great deal on a car I could get some good power out of and make it look good.

Too bad I can't get the same handling potential as an m3

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.